Battle User-Managable Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

advanced_skill

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
I want an antivirus product which allows the user to decide on all actions (such as detected threats, firewall, etc.).
I want myself to take control of my computer, not a 3rd party program.

Any suggestions?

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I want an antivirus product which allows the user to decide on all actions (such as detected threats, firewall, etc.).
I want myself to take control of my computer, not a 3rd party program.

Any suggestions?

Most of the Internet Security / Total security has that option. You just need to tweak the notification.

For example in Emsisoft you need to change the settings for the modules you want notification to "Notify". This will throw pop-up for every action you want.

Reactions: tonibalas
H

hjlbx

Hello advanced_skill,

If you desire a high-degree of MANUAL control over your system then there are two options that immediately come to mind:

Comodo Internet Security; and
Malware Defender

Comodo Internet Security is a complete suite: Anti-Virus, Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), Sandbox, and Firewall. Everything is configurable from policies & permissions to importing malicious hosts files...to the point that it can be mind-boggling. If you enable all features (Proactive Security configuration) and maximum alerts then it will keep you quite busy.

It also includes KillSwitch (system monitor), autoruns manager, Comodo Cleaning Essentials (AV scanner), its own task manager, etc.

CIS is free and you can integrate Comodo's free backup solution - simply called "Comodo Backup."

Malware Defender is only a Host Intrusion Prevention System. It too is highly configurable and will keep you aware of actions on your system. You can combine Malware Defender with an AV that includes a firewall.

Of the two, Comodo is very comprehensive and has a dedicated, "hard-core" following. I've used it and in my experience it is definitely solid. If you insist on knowing about virtually everything in action on your system then CIS will likely be right for you.

I know what you intend to accomplish, but in your pursuit of absolute control over your system you will either become frustrated or quickly tire of incessant alerts - or both. While controlling every action on a system seems logical, those of us who have the wisdom of experience know that it is simply impractical on a persistent, daily basis. It's like trying to pound nails with a 50 pound sledge hammer. HIPS alerts alone can/are going to drive you nuts - eventually !!!

Unless you are Enemy-of-the-State no. 1, then you do not need absolute awareness of your system. Besides, if you really are EOTS no. 1, nothing can or will protect you. In a word, "Run!"

If you go the route of maximum control (meaning maximum user input required) then ohhhh boy... you ain't eva gonna get a chance to input your user name and password because you will spend all your time responding to alerts...and probably then figuring out what they all mean.

Your goal should be to achieve a very high level of security with a minimum of user input.

That goal can be achieved with a properly configured security software solution. The ones that are consistently recommended here at Malware Tips are:

• Eset Smart Security
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security
  • Kaspersky Internet Security

I mention the above as they seem to be very well regarded here at Malware Tips. You can achieve the same with Comodo Internet Security, BitDefender, Trend Micro, etc, etc.

This is the best advice I can give you...

My suggestion is to pick a few that interest you, then evaluate them on your specific system. Then after trying each one out you can then decide which works best for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro is not an fully AV but anti-executable, its designed more as user interaction popup so you can control the action ;)

Anyway most AV's designed a default automatic action as to notify user for any accidents happened thus faster execution of operation immediately and less workload.

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I've heard of Comodo as being extremely user-dependent. However, @hjlbx is right, you can tweak about any antivirus on the market to a highly user-dependent status. For example, in Bitdefender, you can turn of "Autopilot" mode so you can be more interactive. In ESET, you can turn on "Interactive Mode" (duh:rolleyes:) so the HIPS will ask you on every connection. So forth for any antivirus.

Oh, and welcome to the MT forums!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.