Status
Not open for further replies.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I second all that was said by @cruelsister
At one time or another I have used all the major backup utilities and I always come back to Macrium.

There's a faith / trust element for me .
I think of backup tools in the same way as motorcycle helmets ..... I don't want to find out about
poor quality the hard way :)

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
RollBack 'backs up' to your primary drive, which is fine but I've seen people online just use that. I think it's a good tool to use, but you have to understand that it's there in case you want to recover quickly it only needs a few seconds to do it's thing.

Running a back up with a disk imager is a great idea because at least then if your hard drive fails or issues with your Boot Manager arise you can just re-image but the goal with RollBack is to do that less.

Good program, but know it's limitations and plan around it.

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
Can someone that use Rollback explain how much space will need Rollback RX on the C: partition for example for a 40GB of data? Their backup archive will weight how much approximately? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Can someone that use Rollback explain how much space will need Rollback RX on the C: partition for example for a 40GB of data? Their backup archive will weight how much approximately? Thanks in advance.

I've found on average around 10% of the hard drive is used if you don't go crazy with the snapshots. Hard to say tho because it's really up to you. If you're not disciplined and take snapshots with no deleting/defragmenting it's going to sky rocket.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
RollBack 'backs up' to your primary drive, which is fine but I've seen people online just use that. I think it's a good tool to use, but you have to understand that it's there in case you want to recover quickly it only needs a few seconds to do it's thing.

Running a back up with a disk imager is a great idea because at least then if your hard drive fails or issues with your Boot Manager arise you can just re-image but the goal with RollBack is to do that less.

Good program, but know it's limitations and plan around it.
Hi

Can save RollBack 'backup' to another drive instead of the C: drive? I believe Reboot Restore Rx also does the same by saving the 'backup' to C: drive, right? If yes, can also save the 'backup' to another drive?

Thanks

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I wil always retain system image on an external hard drive in case it's needed.

Would you opt for Rollback RX, Time Freeze or AX64 ?

Is file history, which i have enabled, the same thing as Rollback etc ??

You can't use Rollback and TimeFreeze at the same time

I have a 40 Gig partition with 3 Gig snapshot (That's my baseline btw). Succeeding snapshots takes less space but is relative to the changes in the system, that is, the more you add (install apps, add docs, music, images and videos) the more succeeding snapshot size will increase.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
My guidelines for RX users/wannabe users :

Rollback RX users guidelines
Hi @Umbra

I'm new to such software.

1- Dont use softwares that touch the MBR/partitions ; if you do , RX will disfunction and you may surely lose your system or even your full HDD content

Does this applies to software such as MBRFilter, anti-ransomware that provides MBR protection feature or any anti-virus software that has such a protection feature etc?

How about saving the image to another drive say D:? Is this possible?

RX software (like Rollback & Reboot) only image and protects the C: drive. Is this correct? If yes, then any other FREE software that can image and protects ALL drives?

Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Hi @Umbra
Does this applies to software such as MBRFilter, anti-ransomware that provides MBR protection feature or any anti-virus software that has such a protection feature etc?
Thanks
Normally no, because they protect the MBR from modifications, not altering it. Expect uninstalling RX with the incoming Creator Update.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Normally no, because they protect the MBR from modifications, not altering it. Expect uninstalling RX with the incoming Creator Update.
Sorry, I made some mod to my post. Do you think you can answer the rest as well?

Yes, you are right about the Windows Creator Update and that is also why I need to have some understanding of using such software

Thanks again

D

Deleted member 178

How about saving the image to another drive say D:? Is this possible?
Image made my imaging softwares like Macrium or Acronis? It is more than recommended , it is what i do in fact, to reduce the baseline size made by RX.
If you talk about RX's snapshots, no you have no access to it so they can't be moved.

RX software (like Rollback & Reboot) only image and protects the C: drive. Is this correct?
Incorrect, RX protects all drives by default , only by selecting custom install, you will be able to to select drives.

If yes, then any other FREE software that image and protects ALL drives?
RX is not imaging software, it is a "snapshot" software. RX is unique but some softwares are close to it (Macrium Reflect do very fast image)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Image made my imaging softwares like Macrium or Acronis? It is more than recommended , it is what i do in fact, to reduce the baseline size made by RX.
If you talk about RX's snapshots, no you have no access to it so they can't be moved.

Incorrect, RX protects all drives by default , only by selecting custom install, you will be able to to select drives.

RX is not imaging software, it is a "snapshot" software. RX is unique but some softwares are close to it (Macrium Reflect do very fast image)
Thanks for the replies

So you are saying that if I have Macrium Reflect I do not require RX software since it also comes with "snapshot" feature besides imaging an entire system?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

Thanks for the replies

So you are saying that if I have Macrium Reflect I do not require RX software since it also comes with "snapshot" feature besides imaging an entire system?

Thanks
Yes, and it will be safer to use. RX is mainly a tester tool, you do a snapshots in less than 30sec and revert with a reboot in less than a minute.
I didn't tried Macrium, but from what its users told me, the feature is quite close despite using a totally different mechanism.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
From my experience, RB Rx backups (snapshots) and restores swiftly than Macrium Reflect. Snapshots and restores all take less than a minute. But in Macrium, backups for me take 30 minutes (full backup) and 3-7 minutes (incremental backups). Restores in Macrium takes 15-20 minutes.

PS. I just did a restore from Macrium after having a noticeable PUP activity (i.e. browser opening with Chinese sites or just unknown sites). My cousin here is to be blamed. :D

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
From my experience, RB Rx backups (snapshots) and restores swiftly than Macrium Reflect. Snapshots and restores all take less than a minute. But in Macrium, backups for me take 30 minutes (full backup) and 3-7 minutes (incremental backups). Restores in Macrium takes 15-20 minutes.

PS. I just did a restore from Macrium after having a noticeable PUP activity (i.e. browser opening with Chinese sites or just unknown sites). My cousin here is to be blamed. :D
Hi @XhenEd

Looks like I'll need to buy the Macrium Reflect v7 for my use with the upcoming Windows Creators Update but it's still not available on its website. You know when it'll be launched?

For Rollback Rx I'll give the free version a try. Which is better Rollback Rx or Reboot Restore Rx?

Also, presuming after reformatting my tablet and installing the Windows Creators Update I'll need to install Macrium Reflect on my C: drive and after resizing my only C: partition to include another, say D:

After this I uninstall Macrium Reflect, install it on D: drive and then make an image of C: and save to an external USB stick, right?

I noticed my C: is in NTFS format. So my USB stick must also be formatted to NTFS format to make it bootable, right?

Thanks

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
For Rollback Rx I'll give the free version a try. Which is better Rollback Rx or Reboot Restore Rx?

Free version is limited to a few rollbacks.

I noticed my C: is in NTFS format. So my USB stick must also be formatted to NTFS format to make it bootable, right?

Doesn't have to be NTFS. My bootable USB drive is FAT32.

Reactions: HarborFront

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Hi @XhenEd

Looks like I'll need to buy the Macrium Reflect v7 for my use with the upcoming Windows Creators Update but it's still not available on its website. You know when it'll be launched?

Also, presuming after reformatting my tablet and installing the Windows Creators Update I'll need to install Macrium Reflect on my C: drive and after resizing my only C: partition to include another, say D:

After this I uninstall Macrium Reflect, install it on D: drive and then make an image of C: and save to an external USB stick, right?

Thanks
I don't know the exact date v7 Free will be released. :(

I haven't tried Reboot Restore Rx yet, so I can't comment.

As for the rest, I'm not an expert for those things. @WinXPert asnwered two, maybe he could answer the rest too. :)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I don't know the exact date v7 Free will be released. :(

I haven't tried Reboot Restore Rx yet, so I can't comment.

As for the rest, I'm not an expert for those things. @WinXPert asnwered two, maybe he could answer the rest too. :)

Sorry, haven't used Reboot Restore Rx to date.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
To put macrium into perspective, for me it's very fast. I take hourly incrementals and they take about 45 seconds on average. I just recently had to install a utility that was for a one shotuse. I installed it right after one of my hourly''s ,then did a restore. Restore took 45 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.