Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It is what i do, one backup (once my clean install is completed and all is set), put it on D: then install RX.
If I use a 64GB USB flask stick is it enough considering the upcoming Windows 10 Creators Update? Do I need to make this USB stick bootable to restore say one day I cannot boot up normally but must access externally from a USB stick?

I already have a Windows 10 recovery USB stick. But my tablets only have 1 USB port each and they don't recognize a USB hub (I tried that) during booting up. In this case it means I must have the USB stick to be bootable + recovery + a copy of the clean Windows 10 image to work, right?

What size of USB stick do I need to haven now? 128GB should be enough?

That's the problem with using Microsoft tablets in having only 1 USB port and that's also why I'm seeking a multi-USB port laptop

Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

If I use a 64GB USB flask stick is it enough considering the upcoming Windows 10 Creators Update? Do I need to make this USB stick bootable to restore say one day I cannot boot up normally but must access externally from a USB stick?
I have clean bootable ISO of win10 AU on a 16gb usb ^^

In this case it means I must have the USB stick to be bootable + recovery + a copy of the clean Windows 10 image to work, right?
Yes

What size of SUB stick do I need to haven now? 128GB should be enough?
More there is, better it is.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have clean bootable ISO of Windows 10 AU on a 16gb usb ^^

Yes

More there is, better it is.
OK, I have a problem here

Because I'm using MS tablets(MS SP3 & SP4) which run only on EFI/GPT I can only use a max 32GB USB stick formatted to FAT32 since EFI does not support NTFS format for booting up. Using a larger capacity stick would render the balanced space unusable.

I used Macrium Reflect v6x and created a bootable USB stick with WinPE and Macrium Reflect installed and now it's bootable. But I find that it occupies very little space about 261MB only

Assuming Windows 10 system image is 30GB+ then I would not be able to store the system images of the MS SP3 & SP4 onto the said 32GB bootable USB stick.

I would like to find out if I use a 128GB USB stick and partition into say 4GB (primary) and the balanced as another partition both are NTFS. I then convert the NTFS format for the primary partition into FAT32(leaving the other partition as NTFS) and install WinPE and Macrium Reflect onto this primary partition and making it bootable.

I then store the Windows 10 system images of my MS SP3 & SP4 into the other NTFS partition on the 128GB USB stick

Can it work?

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Say my system is 45.5GB so how large is usually a "snapshot" image for instant rollback? Same size or less? If less, roughly by how many percent?

Is there a feature in say Rollback Rx(or similar software) which can compress the "snapshot" image just like you can select Medium or High Compression in Macrium Reflect for creating a system image?

Thanks

Last edited:

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Understand you can't see a Rollback snapshot on disk. It's not part of the windows file system. One of the reasons I am not all that comfortable with it

Reactions: shmu26

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Understand you can't see a Rollback snapshot on disk. It's not part of the windows file system. One of the reasons I am not all that comfortable with it
If you are unable to see the "snapshot" image then how to allocate space on the drive to cater for them? My SSD is only 256GB

I believe these "snapshot" images will be the same as Windows restore points, right?

Last edited:

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
If you are unable to see the "snapshot" image then how to allocate space on the drive to cater for them? My SSD is only 256GB

I believe these "snapshot" images will be the same as Windows restore points, eight?

No basis for that assumption. Rollback Rx is a totally different beast. When you create a snapshot, initially there is no data involved. then say if you add a file, the Rollback drive makes note and adds it in, but at that point it is the only data actually added to the drive. It gets more complicated from there, but it's their driver which keeps track of it. You really need to read and understand how Rollback works if your going to use it. It's not like any other program.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No basis for that assumption. Rollback Rx is a totally different beast. When you create a snapshot, initially there is no data involved. then say if you add a file, the Rollback drive makes note and adds it in, but at that point it is the only data actually added to the drive. It gets more complicated from there, but it's their driver which keeps track of it. You really need to read and understand how Rollback works if your going to use it. It's not like any other program.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't software like Rollback Rx, Reboot Restore Rx and AOMEI Backupper Standard etc perform similarly to Windows restore point function and that is to provide instant rollback if something goes wrong?

Thanks

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't software like Rollback Rx, Reboot Restore Rx and AOMEI Backupper Standard etc perform similarly to Windows restore point function and that is to provide instant rollback if something goes wrong?

Thanks

I am not familiar with the nuance differences in Rollback RX and Reboot Restore RX, but they are nothing like AOMEI Backupper Standard which is a standard imaging program. As for Windows Restore Point, one of the first things I turn off on a new computer.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I am not familiar with the nuance differences in Rollback RX and Reboot Restore RX, but they are nothing like AOMEI Backupper Standard which is a standard imaging program. As for Windows Restore Point, one of the first things I turn off on a new computer.
From what I read, Reboot Restore Rx functions the same as RollBack Rx. The differences are just that RollBack Rx offers more features, while Reboot Restore Rx just have one or two features found in RollBack Rx, especially the reboot-to-restore.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

I believe these "snapshot" images will be the same as Windows restore points, right?
As for allocating space, you just have to guess. You can delete specific snapshots at will, if they start to fill up your disk.
As for their actual size, the size tends to mushroom after a while, because they are differential, not incremental, if you know what I mean. But this can be solved by making a new base snapshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.