Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi HarborFront

I don't as I haven't the time for reviews. My imaging software of choice is Macrium, 2nd in line IFW. I also use Shadowprotect, but that is a bit of a special case. Other imaging software I've tested and consider good are AOMEI and Drive Snapshot. For speed and reliablity you can't beat Macrium. That I've gone beyond torture testing. As to Windows Creator update who knows. What I would do until that beast is tested is to image from the recovery environments. That way windows itself is inert.
How about experience in using "snapshot" programs like RX or similar?

Thanks again

Hi

FI, Macrium Reflect v7 is available on its website with pricing as well

Macrium Reflect 7 Home Edition | Macrium Software

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
So Reboot Restore RX is more superior then SD?

Thanks

This is a matter of opinion, but to me it's the other way around. I think there have been far few issues of reliability, plus as long as I don't loose it on the restore, I can image my system while shadowed and that image will restore and reflect the system status. Far easier then dealing with Fo

Reactions: HarborFront

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi

FI, Macrium Reflect v7 is available on its website with pricing as well

Macrium Reflect 7 Home Edition | Macrium Software
Right. I am on v7 Home, trial edition, and I am very happy with it. I upgraded from v6 Home.

You should keep in mind that using snapshot software greatly increases the chances of a major mess-up, one that could potentially trash your system.
Snapshot softs are primarily geared for hardcore tinkerers and malware testers.
If you are a careful user who wants to protect his system, better to use imaging softs such as Macrium Reflect.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Right. I am on v7 Home, trial edition, and I am very happy with it. I upgraded from v6 Home.

You should keep in mind that using snapshot software greatly increases the chances of a major mess-up, one that could potentially trash your system.
Snapshot softs are primarily geared for hardcore tinkerers and malware testers.
If you are a careful user who wants to protect his system, better to use imaging softs such as Macrium Reflect.
I think I'll only use MR during major firmware updates like the AU and the upcoming Windows Creators Update. Also, if the system becomes unbootable for some reasons.

As for daily use Reboot Restore RX seems to be my choice unless MR also has such a feature. I've just written to MR for some answers and hopefully they can reply.

To me Shadow Defender(SD) and Reboot Restore RX(RRRX) has the same end result and that is restoring to a clean state upon each reboot except that SD uses virtualization technique. So is virtualization important here if RRRX can also produce the same result as SD without using virtualization? I think not if both are getting the same end result. Of course reliability of the software is important and SD (I think) is more difficult to use.

Thanks

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think I'll only use MR during major firmware updates like the AU and the upcoming Windows Creators Update. Also, if the system becomes unbootable for some reasons.

As for daily use Reboot Restore RX seems to be my choice unless MR also has such a feature. I've just written to MR for some answers and hopefully they can reply.
You can turn MR into a simple Reboot software, by simply restoring every time to your clean image.
If you want to exclude certain things from the restore, such as your antivirus definitions, for instance, then SD is more suited.

Reactions: HarborFront

To me Shadow Defender(SD) and Reboot Restore RX(RRRX) has the same end result and that is restoring to a clean state upon each reboot except that SD uses virtualization technique. So is virtualization important here if RRRX can also produce the same result as SD without using virtualization? I think not if both are getting the same end result. Of course reliability of the software is important and SD (I think) is more difficult to use.

Thanks

One disadvantage to RX products is that you have to uninstall it prior to installing W10 major upgrades. Since that happens rather infrequently, I find it is not a reason to not use RX products. The convenience and protection of RX products far outweighs any inconveniences in my experience. Paid RX products also have the advantage of password protecting access and encryption of the snapshots. Finally, with RX products you have the advantage of being able to reboot without reverting to an earlier system state. Rollback RX is particularly flexible.

I wouldn't combo-use Shadow Defender and RX products nor combo with another virtualization product. It is pointless comboing of multiple products that achieve the same thing.

If you use MR with RX products you are going to run into issues when restoring with MR = RX snapshots will be lost. I think there might be a workaround, but I am not positive. You would have to ask TheRollbackFrog here or over at Wilders.

Just relating my experiences with the products. You have to figure out for yourself what works best for you on your specific system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I use Win 10 PE and run MR for full image backup. Takes 7 mins for linux partition and 10 mins for Windows.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
One disadvantage to RX products is that you have to uninstall it prior to installing W10 major upgrades. Since that happens rather infrequently, I find it is not a reason to not use RX products. The convenience and protection of RX products far outweighs any inconveniences in my experience. Paid RX products also have the advantage of password protecting access and encryption of the snapshots. Finally, with RX products you have the advantage of being able to reboot without reverting to an earlier system state. Rollback RX is particularly flexible.

I wouldn't combo-use Shadow Defender and RX products nor combo with another virtualization product. It is pointless comboing of multiple products that achieve the same thing.

If you use MR with RX products you are going to run into issues when restoring with MR = RX snapshots will be lost. I think there might be a workaround, but I am not positive. You would have to ask TheRollbackFrog here or over at Wilders.

Just relating my experiences with the products. You have to figure out for yourself what works best for you on your specific system.
No, I'm not combining Reboot Restore RX with SD. It's only one. But watching the youtube of Reboot in action I think I like it for its simplicity in use.

At any rate when a big Windows update comes along or the system becomes unbootable there'll be a need to have a clean Windows-only image to be restored by MR i.e. without any 3rd-party software regardless of whether you are using Reboot or SD, right? What happens to Reboot images become irrelevant then. After this Reboot can restart over again after the installation of the needed 3rd-party software

Thanks.

Reactions: shmu26

No, I'm not combining Reboot Restore RX with SD. It's only one. But watching the youtube of Reboot in action I think I like it for its simplicity in use.

At any rate when a big Windows update comes along or the system becomes unbootable there'll be a need to have a clean Windows-only image to be restored by MR i.e. without any 3rd-party software regardless of whether you are using Reboot or SD, right? What happens to Reboot images become irrelevant then. After this Reboot can restart over again.

Thanks.

RR RX is simple, but you can achieve what RR RX does using Rollback RX Pro - and a whole lot more. It depends upon how much flexibility you desire.

If you want a clean Windows-only image, then you don't need MR. Instead just create restore media using Microsoft Media Creation Tool on a USB.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
RR RX is simple, but you can achieve what RR RX does using Rollback RX Pro - and a whole lot more. It depends upon how much flexibility you desire.

If you want a clean Windows-only image, then you don't need MR. Instead just create restore media using Microsoft Media Creation Tool on a USB.
How about using default Windows System Backup to create a Windows-only image on a bootable USB stick? Can it create a bootable USB stick in the first place before backing up the image?

Do you have answer to my question in post #42 for MR?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2913

How about using default Windows System Backup to create a Windows-only image on a bootable USB stick? Can it create a bootable USB stick in the first place before backing up the image?

Thanks
I have never tried inbuilt Windows backup so dont know........

You mean "snapshot" mentioned in post 42?
What do you mean by snapshot in Macrium?

I am kinda new to Macrium, dont see anything "snapshot" mentioned in the GUI......

Reactions: frogboy and shmu26

Thanks

Windows backup is an option.

As far as BitLocker and RX products, you really should ask RX support or post your question on the Horizon DataSys forum.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have never tried inbuilt Windows backup so dont know........

You mean "snapshot" mentioned in post 42?
What do you mean by snapshot in Macrium?

I am kinda new to Macrium, dont see anything "snapshot" mentioned in the GUI......
FI, I have emailed them some questions. They have yet to reply

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Rollback RX Pro vs Reboot Restore RX Pro

I have some chatting with the Rollback tech support staff last night and below are some questions fielded.

For easier typing I’ll use the following acronyms

Macrium Reflect – MR
Rollback RX Pro – RRX
Reboot Restore RX Pro – RRRX

As Window 10 Creators Update is approaching next month, hopefully, I’ll need to reformat my tablets with only a single partition into two(2) partitions and use of backup/restore system imaging and “snapshot” programs. So, it’s evaluation time for “snapshot” programs.

MR will be my first choice for system imaging and, after chatting with Rollback tech support staff last night, it seems RRRX trumps over RRX in meeting my daily needs for automatic restoration to a clean state after each reboot and after a hard reset. If MR comes with a “snapshot” feature which can meet my daily needs then I’ll consider this 2-in-1 features program instead. FI, I have written to MR and awaiting their reply.

The questions fielded were more of a suitability nature in meeting my needs rather than the specific detail in the use of a particular feature

Questions

1) Can RRX perform the same functions (i.e. restore to a clean state after each reboot and after a hard reset) as RRRX?

Yes, it can be done with the Task Scheduler inside RRX but only for each reboot.

2) What is the difference(s) between RRX and RRRX?

All features the same EXCEPT that RRX do NOT have a reboot feature after a hard reset. RRRX is easier to manage if you just want the functionality to reboot. RRX has more enhanced features.

3) Why are features listed on RRX showing very much more than RRRX on its website?

Reason being RRX is the company’s flagship product.

4) Are “snapshot” images saved as encrypted or unencrypted images?

By default they are saved as encrypted images using AES-256 encryption protocol for both the products.

5) And how does saved encrypted images, on rollback, affect drive which has MS BitLocker enabled and with on-the-fly encryption program like VeraCrypt?

There’s incompatibility between the saved encrypted images and MS BitLocker/VeraCrypt. You’ll need to turn it off (for MS BitLocker) or not to use (for VeraCrypt) to avoid compatibility issue (I supposed here that there’s a possibility of corrupted saved encrypted images here if both encryption are used)

6) Where are ”snapshot” images being saved on the drives?

They are stored in their respective drives since RRX and RRRX are not imaging programs so there’s no possibility of moving snapshot/baseline data.

7) Since saved images are on their respective drives will this impact on how many “snapshots” can be saved per drive vs its storage capacity?

You can delete older “snapshots” automatically after taking “X” number of "snapshots" to cater for drive space limitation.

8) Does RRRX works on SSD besides HDD? Does it support UEFI/GPT as well? Does RRX protects the MBR?

Yes, they do.

9) Will RRX and RRRX get my drive running if it gets damaged say a major flaw like a physical damage?

No, they won’t

10) RRRX pricing is US$36 for 5 to 24 PCs

Reboot Restore Rx Pro Pricing | PC Time Machine Windows System Restore Software

Hope they can help you too,

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Not receiving any reply from Macrium I just popped into their forums and read some postings there.

It seems they have this "snapshot" feature but users are facing some problems with it. Also, v7 users are facing some other problems as well considering they are seasoned users in using Macrium Reflect.

Maybe I should just use the default Windows System Backup and Restore for imaging will do....maybe slower but likely to work with less problems.

:(

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Not receiving any reply from Macrium I just popped into their forums and read some postings there.

It seems they have this "snapshot" feature but users are facing some problems with it. Also, v7 users are facing some other problems as well considering they are seasoned users in using Macrium Reflect.

Maybe I should just use the default Windows System Backup and Restore for imaging will do....maybe slower but likely to work with less problems.

:(
If you don't need incremental backups, etc, then you can use the built-in Windows imaging. It is slow, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.