Troubleshoot Using too much memory.

Bev

Thread author
Aug 3, 2014
Hi. I’m having a problem with the memory on my C disk. I’ve been trying for two days to figure out where the memory is being used. It shows that my Hard Disk Drives (1), Local Disk C: is 7.43 GB free of 148 Gb. It is almost all in red! I have 4.00 GB of RAM with 3.25 GB usable. I’ve tried to remove programs that use a lot of memory, but I barely made a dent, as I do not know which programs are using the most disk space. One thing I noticed was that Task manager showed two different internet explorers running; one was for windows 32 bit and one for 64 bit. They were using a substantial amount of memory. I tried to remove the 32 bit operations, like System Mechanic, but I wasn't sure if that was where the excessive amount of memory was being used. iTunes was also not running correctly, so I uninstalled it and all its parts. I plan to reinstall it later. I also checked windows update history and saw that Microsoft Word is also in 32 bit. My computer OS was Windows Vista 32 bit, but I had it upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit about two years ago. I thought that may have something to do with it, if my computer is trying to run 32 and 64 bit at the same time. I am at a loss. You helped me once before with a virus, and I'm hoping that you can help me with this. Thank you.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    67.3 KB · Views: 422
  • Addition.txt
    30.2 KB · Views: 605

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Too much trouble shooting would only waste more of your time. If uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt work for then there would be a possibility of the system file corruption. I would recommend you not waste your time troubleshooting your PC, which in turn may not give any successful results. So I recommend you to back up all your data and why not try a reinstallation of your OS? Or there is another choice for u. Try windows System restore to restore your windows back to past where it was under a good working condition. That would hep you in a better way if you dont want reinstall the entire OS.

Reactions: XhenEd
Upvote 0

Bev

Thread author
Aug 3, 2014
Too much trouble shooting would only waste more of your time. If uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt work for then there would be a possibility of the system file corruption. I would recommend you not waste your time troubleshooting your PC, which in turn may not give any successful results. So I recommend you to back up all your data and why not try a reinstallation of your OS? Or there is another choice for u. Try windows System restore to restore your windows back to past where it was under a good working condition. That would hep you in a better way if you dont want reinstall the entire OS.

Thank you. The only thing I uninstalled related to this problem was iTunes, and that didn't make any difference. I don't think that is why I'm having this problem. I don't think it is the OS because the memory problem is the only problem I've had with it. I think it's something else. The reinstall of the OS is cost prohibitive, and I still wouldn't know what caused it--or--if that was even the problem, and I could possibly be in the same predicament again. It's not a waste of my time to find what is causing this problem. I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
You could check how many restore points are saved. This can take up a lot of space. ;)

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Right click from your Local Disk C : and execute disk cleanup then expand by 'clean system files' which you will see a large number of files to be clean from Windows Update Package cache files.

Upvote 0

Bev

Thread author
Aug 3, 2014
Thank you. The only thing I uninstalled related to this problem was iTunes, and that didn't make any difference. I don't think that is why I'm having this problem. I don't think it is the OS because the memory problem is the only problem I've had with it. I think it's something else. The reinstall of the OS is cost prohibitive, and I still wouldn't know what caused it--or--if that was even the problem, and I could possibly be in the same predicament again. It's not a waste of my time to find what is causing this problem. I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Thank you so much. Yes, I have.

Upvote 0

Bev

Thread author
Aug 3, 2014
I tried using WinDirStat, but it was a little confusing because I wasn't sure what the files were and what to keep. I'll keep looking for answers. Thank you very much.:)

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Have you checked if Win 7 has SP1? If SP1 is not installed get Win 7 SP1 ISO and reinstall and start fresh because some dll or some components of Vista is interfering with seven files.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Give this a try @Bev :)

Any applications I tell you to use (if any) are 100% safe - by following my instructions, it it completely at your own risk!

1.) Download CCleaner from this link which is the official website: http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup513.exe
2.) Run CCleaner:
Press the
ccl-any-png.80728
button and let it analyse your PC.
After it has analysed your PC press the
ccl-cln-png.80729
button and let it finish.

3.) Restart your PC and see if it works now.

If the above didn't work then try this:

1.) Run CCleaner:

Press the
ccl-reg-png.80730
button on the left side of CCleaner.

Now click the
ccl-scan-for-issues-png.80731
button.

Make sure you backup changes to the registry in the case of any problems.

After it has scanned for issues, click the
ccl-fix-sel-png.80732
button and backup your registry. It is highly recommended that you go through the registry keys It has found manually to see if you need them.

2.) Open the start menu and search %temp% delete any thumbnails there.

3.) Empty the recycle bin.

4.) Restart your computer.

Please tell me the situation :)

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Also:

Make sure you try my previous solution, if it still doesn't work try this :)

Any applications I tell you to use (if any) are 100% safe - by following my instructions, it is completely at your own risk!

1.) Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from this link: Thank you for downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
2.) Go through the installation, the default settings will do for now :)

3.) Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, a shortcut should be on your desktop which looks like this:
mbam-short-png.80769

4.) If you get a pop-up windows from User Account Control click yes.
5.) This windows should open:
mbam-ui-png.80773

• Click
    mbam-up-png.80775
    and wait until it has finished.
  • Click
    mbam-scan-png.80776
    and then click:
    mbam-threat-png.80777
  • Now click
    mbam-start-scan-png.80778
    and let it complete, attach the log in your next post please so I can help you more easily.
If you don't know or understand what to do, stop and ask :)

Upvote 0

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Tornado if you had checked the attachments, you would have noticed he has both CCleaner and MBAM.

Also, user never came back since last post.

The actual log files do not indicate much issue at all. There is a ton on stuff in the HDD thats for sure, including mp4s and so on.
In any case, an actual reinstall of Windows is the safest bet, with a data backup done prior to reinstall.

Please look at the log files first :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.