Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Periodic malware scanners
  • Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
  • Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
  • Norton Power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do participate in malware testing. See details about my testing environment below.
Browser(s) and extensions
Mozilla Firefox
Secure DNS
NextDNS :
  • Security : All, Excluded - Google Safe Browsing
  • Block Top-Level Domains : 62 TLDs in Total
  • Privacy : All, unchecked - Allow Affiliate & Tracking Links
  • Native Tracking Protection - All
  • Blocklists : Steven Black + AdGuard DNS + Fanboy's Enhanced + BarbBlock
  • Parental Control Categories - None
  • Custom Allow & Deny list
  • Storage location : Switzerland, Retention - 1 month
  • All the options are checked, excluding :
    • Log clients IPs
    • Enable Block Page
  • Rewrites - None
Desktop VPN
  • Mullvad - in Main Gateway
Password manager
  • 1Password
  • Backup - Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
File and Photo backup
System recovery
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
  • CPU : Ryzen 9 3950X
  • GPU : GIGABYTE RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10G
  • Mobo : ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (2x16GB)
  • Cooler : Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black
  • PSU : Seasonic Prime TX-750
  • Case : Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black
  • NVMe M.2 : WD Black SN850 500Gb - System
  • NVMe M.2 : Samsung 980 Pro 2TB - Games
  • SATA SSD : Kingston A400 1.92TB - Storage
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Sweet config, consider adding LocalCDN to Firefox and maybe replace NeatURL with ClearURLs. Second recommendation is just a matter of preference. Would also be interested in your about:config tweaks. Might find something to change in my config. ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Vincent Valentine

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
Sweet config, consider adding LocalCDN to Firefox and maybe replace NeatURL with ClearURLs. Second recommendation is just a matter of preference. Would also be interested in your about:config tweaks. Might find something to change in my config. ;)
Thanks for the advice I have changed Neat URL to ClearURLs and will add my firefox about:config settings as soon as I get some free time (y)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I know I recommended ClearURLs some time ago, but now I see that you are using AdGuard Windows that can also block tracking parameters within URLs if you enable it in the Stealth Mode settings.

About LocalCDN and Decentraleyes: Browser Add-on - LocalCDN and Decentraleyes are both dead on Firefox

About HTTPS Everywhere: Firefox 83 introduces HTTPS-Only Mode – Mozilla Security Blog

The more extensions you use, the more unique your fingerprint will be. Better enable privacy.resistFingerprinting in about:config instead of using Canvas Blocker.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Is Priv8 Mode addon for FF still around?

Since you are using Adguard for Windows consider adding uBlock Origin and you can remove Privacy Badger and Malwarebytes Browser Guard

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
He can put all uBO filters in uBO and can operate in Medium/Hard Mode. At any rate Privacy Badger and Malwarebytes Browser Guard are also ad/tracker blockers
I would even say that it’s better not to use any anti tracking extension, cause the Firefox built in anti tracking set to strict + NextDNS + Adguard Windows is absolutely enough.

Vincent Valentine

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
Is Priv8 Mode addon for FF still around?

Since you are using Adguard for Windows consider adding uBlock Origin and you can remove Privacy Badger and Malwarebytes Browser Guard
I have start Firefox in private browsing mode.
browser.privatebrowsing.autostart : true
The word priv8 might confuse u so i re-edit the post to make it clear.

My Malwarebytes Browser Guard has ad/tracker unchecked

Privacy Badger use AI for automatically discover new trackers and block them based on their behavior which most of the time block few trackers on my browser.

Vincent Valentine

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
I know I recommended ClearURLs some time ago, but now I see that you are using AdGuard Windows that can also block tracking parameters within URLs if you enable it in the Stealth Mode settings.

About LocalCDN and Decentraleyes: Browser Add-on - LocalCDN and Decentraleyes are both dead on Firefox

About HTTPS Everywhere: Firefox 83 introduces HTTPS-Only Mode – Mozilla Security Blog

The more extensions you use, the more unique your fingerprint will be. Better enable privacy.resistFingerprinting in about:config instead of using Canvas Blocker.

CanvasBlocker have some extra functions like changing user-agent that's why I am not removing it yet.

Decentraleyes just working fine even it hasn't updated for a long time so will keep it for now but will think about removing HTTPS Everywhere.

Adguard doesn't have an extensive amount of parameters compares to ClearURL, until adguard updates there parameters I will stick with ClearURL
My current adguard parameters are:

utm_source,utm_medium,utm_term,utm_content,utm_campaign,utm_referrer,yclid,gclid,fbclid,_openstat,fb_action_ids,fb_comment_id fb_action_types,fb_ref,fb_source,action_object_map,action_type_map,action_ref_map,gs_l,gs_Lcp,client,sclient,sei,gws_rd gs_gbg,gs_mss,gs_rn,ved,uact,_hsenc,_hsmi,__hssc,__hstc,hsCtaTracking,sc_campaign,sc_channel,sc_content,sc_medium,sc_outcome sc_geo,sc_country,elqTrackId,elqTrack,assetType,assetId,recipientId,campaignId,siteId,s_cid,itm_source,itm_medium,itm_campaign itm_content,itm_term,spReportId,spJobID,spUserID,spMailingID,hmb_campaign,hmb_medium,hmb_source,mkt_tok,mc_cid,mc_eid,pk_campaign pk_kwd,pk_source,pk_medium,pk_content,amp;utm_medium

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I have start Firefox in private browsing mode.
browser.privatebrowsing.autostart : true
The word priv8 might confuse u so i re-edit the post to make it clear.

My Malwarebytes Browser Guard has ad/tracker unchecked

Privacy Badger use AI for automatically discover new trackers and block them based on their behavior which most of the time block few trackers on my browser.
Firefox does such a good job at making the built in anti tracking protection better recently.

Some recent changes:

1. Firefox 85 Cracks Down on Supercookies – Mozilla Security Blog
2. Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection – Mozilla Security Blog

You even have Adguard Windows with another level of tracking protection and on top of that NextDNS where you can enable any filter list that you want, to block trackers and malicious sites too. Malwarebytes Browser Guard, Privacy Badger and all the other extensions are just making your fingerprint more unique and increase attack surface. Maybe Privacy Badger would block one or two trackers that the others might miss, but thats not worth using it imo.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That's not the default behavior anymore:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.