Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
WD platform v1809.50
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
EEK,HMP. (Retiring MBAM and ZAM very soon)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
uBO, Cookie Autodelete,BD Traffic Light, SC Currency converter, S3.translator,Default bookmark folder,HTTPS everywhere,Uget, User agent switcher etc...
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Dism++, Bleachbit,Windows Disk Cleanup,Wise disk cleaner,System Ninja
File and Photo backup
Macrium reflect PE
System recovery
Macrium reflect PE
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/vasudevs-new-rig.64502/

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hi Guys this is my security config for 2017.
@Jack: I hope we can reuse the same thread year after year instead of archiving. Some fields must be present if someone's using Linux or Mac. Different OS choices along with their settings must be feature addition.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Why do you have OS Security Updates disabled?
I would have them set to Auto with deferred
Consider an additional on demand scanner(s)
Other than the OS Security update issue your config looks good.
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Set UAC to Always Notify and enable OS security updates.

I would personally add something else to your real-time protection to shore up Windows Defender's defences. Something along the lines of VoodooShield, Comodo Firewall, HitmanPro.Alert, Xvirus Anti-Malware or Zemana Antimalware Premium. Others can no doubt suggest more.

Ghostery's redundant with you already sporting uBlock Origin. I'd remove it.

I'd also switch Bitdefender TrafficLight for Avira Browser Safety or add ABS alongside BTL for combined protection. Avira will always block pages before Bitdefender does if both have a certain site on their blacklist.

Also make sure you back up your most important data.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Why do you have OS Security Updates disabled?
I would have them set to Auto with deferred
Consider an additional on demand scanner(s)
Other than the OS Security update issue your config looks good.
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Set UAC to Always Notify and enable OS security updates.

I would personally add something else to your real-time protection to shore up Windows Defender's defences. Something along the lines of VoodooShield, Comodo Firewall, HitmanPro.Alert, Xvirus Anti-Malware or Zemana Antimalware Premium. Others can no doubt suggest more.

Ghostery's redundant with you already sporting uBlock Origin. I'd remove it.

I'd also switch Bitdefender TrafficLight for Avira Browser Safety or add ABS alongside BTL for combined protection. Avira will always block pages before Bitdefender does if both have a certain site on their blacklist.

Also make sure you back up your most important data.

Thanks for sharing. :)
Thread Updated!!!!
Sorry guys, I was a little busy. I update the OS regularly but I download offline update/ Cumulative updates manually for updating multiple PCs.
I missed Sphinx FW whilst recreating the security config thread.
I do take a backup of my important files. I'll update the thread. HMPA simply slowed down my PC. That's the reason I stayed on MBAM 2.x.
As for ghostery and uBO, I disabled Easy Privacy on uBO so that it'll play safe with ghostery. So you're saying by checking Easy privacy i can remove ghostery, is this correct?

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Thread Updated!!!!
Sorry guys, I was a little busy. I update the OS regularly but I download offline update/ Cumulative updates manually for updating multiple PCs.
I missed Sphinx FW whilst recreating the security config thread.
I do take a backup of my important files. I'll update the thread. HMPA simply slowed down my PC. That's the reason I stayed on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.x.
As for ghostery and uBO, I disabled Easy Privacy on uBO so that it'll play safe with ghostery. So you're saying by checking Easy privacy i can remove ghostery, is this correct?
Add: AVira browser safety

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Honestly you have way too many adorns for my taste. Seems like it would slow your browser to a crawl. If your paranoid about privacy just use Chrome's incognito mode. If I were you I'd just remove all extensions. CCleaner can help with any other issues. Other than that thanks for sharing! :)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Add: AVira browser safety
I'm not able to find it on addon Store. Is it windows specific because i use Linux most of the time.?
It looks to be Firefox. I also found none of the current updated antivirus extensions in there.
uBlock Origin can be made to overlap with Ghostery so there's no real use for it unless to watch what the advertising competitors do or maybe to whitelist sites because of anti-adblock while still keeping the adblocking with Ghostery although uBlock Origin also give you the tools to counter anti-adblock and also already has robust anti-adblock filters in the uBlock Filters section and is rarer and therefore less targeted than AdBlock Plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev and Xsjx

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Honestly you have way too many adorns for my taste. Seems like it would slow your browser to a crawl. If your paranoid about privacy just use Chrome's incognito mode. If I were you I'd just remove all extensions. CCleaner can help with any other issues. Other than that thanks for sharing! :)
I'm using Firefox instead of Chrome. FF is quick.
Thank you guys I removed Ghostery and add privacy filters to uBO. I think ghostery was messing with nvidia driver downloads and after removing Ghostery,the problem is fixed and got a lot of performance.
@JM Security: Won't ZAM driver filters conflict with MBAM? Is it possible to run to on-demand scanners w/o conflict?

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I'm using Firefox instead of Chrome. FF is slowing down its quick.
Thank you guys I removed Ghostery and add privacy filters to uBO. I think ghostery was messing with nvidia driver downloads and after removing Ghostery,the problem is fixed and got a lot of performance.
@JM Security: Won't ZAM driver filters conflict with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? Is it possible to run to on-demand scanners w/o conflict?
I think there aren't problems about conflicts.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I'll try out ZAM, if I don't like, MBAM gonna go and ZAM stays. I'll report in a few days after testing on multiple PCs. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xsjx

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@JM Security: I'll keep both MBAM and ZAM. Although ZAM had some startup services and set it to manual and removed from list of startup items. All is good . Its very quick.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@JM Security: I'll keep both Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and ZAM. Although ZAM had some startup services and set it to manual and removed from list of startup items. All is good . Its very quick.
ZAM driver mostly causes conflicts only when there are incomplete security s/w removals, otherwise there shouldn't be a problem having it installed with most other AVs/AMs.
There's also a portable version of ZAM to avoid having a ZAM installation in your system. The only downside will be the lack of option of 'contextual scan' from Win Explorer.

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.