Vipre 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
For those interested in learning about the new vipre here we go:)

GFI Software is excited to announce the first public preview of the new VIPRE Antivirus 2013 and VIPRE Internet Security 2013. These products have added important new features and improvements in performance and enhanced security.
The following two products are available for beta testing:
VIPRE Antivirus 2013
VIPRE Internet Security 2013
Both products are version 6.0.5381, with installer version 6.0.1464.
What’s New

GFI focused in two areas for VIPRE 2013; first, broadening the scope of protection by including VIPRE Easy Update, and increasing our protection with a new anti-rootkit engine. The other key area is performance; users of VIPRE 2013 will notice improved performance browsing the web and faster scan times.
VIPRE Easy Update (Internet Security only)
Outdated software installed on PC’s is often exploited by malware. One of the best ways to ensure a secure experience is to keep the software on your computer up-to-date. Software vendors fix security issues with their software, and VIPRE Easy Update fetches those updates and applies them to your machine automatically. Easy Update will also let you know if Windows Update is not properly configured and will remedy that with a single click of a button.
Web Filter Improvements (Internet Security only)
The web filter in VIPRE 2013 has been improved to dramatically increase web browsing performance.
New Anti-Rootkit Technology
VIPRE’s advanced anti-rootkit technology has been re-engineered detect and remove even the hardest to detect malware.
Conflicting Application Removal
When the VIPRE Setup program starts, it checks for other installed security software that can often cause problems for the user, including severe slowness and crashes. VIPRE Setup will automatically remove such software, or users can choose to uninstall them manually.
Windows 8 Compatibility
VIPRE 2013 is compatible with Windows 8 Release Preview.
VIPRE Updates
We’ve made it easier to keep VIPRE up-to-date as well, with a new Manage VIPRE Update panel that displays information about that VIPRE software and threat definitions that are being used.
User Experience
VIPRE 2013 improves the main user interface in several places, including the Settings dialog box, additional menu options, improved links to GFI technical support, and shortcut keys to commonly accessed functionality.
Getting the Beta Software

There are 2 ways to get the Beta.
1) Uninstall your VIPRE 5.x.xxx (make sure to not delete All data files to preserve your settings), reboot and download the version you are interested in from here:

Product: VIPRE Antivirus 2013 (Non-premium)
Download: http://dl.gfi.com/?linkid=1485
Product key: 411WM-U6SC2-4FSJ7-Z7XYK-EJ3CR

Product: VIPRE Internet Security 2013 (Premium)
Download: http://dl.gfi.com/?linkid=1486
Product key: 405XW-6B3X6-HZ5WW-EH2J2-9998B

2) If you have Beta flag enabled, just wait for the Beta popup and follow the prompts.
Known Issues

As this is a pre-release preview of VIPRE 2013, there are areas of incomplete functionality and problems. Here are some known issues with this release:
Web Filtering Performance
Preview releases are not final. Although we have focused on performance improvements in VIPRE 2013, the improvements in the web filter are not included in this beta release.
New Anti-rootkit engine not included with Beta 1
A supplemental release will be made available with the new anti-rootkit engine.
International Support
This release is for North American English. Future releases will target other regions and languages.
System Restore and Windows 8
Windows 8 limits the number of restore points that can be made in a particular time period. Users who select “Create a System Restore point” when performing a scan and clean may notice that a restore point was not created.
Documentation Incomplete
As this is an unfinished preview, the documentation is still in progress. The README.TXT file has not yet been updated. We welcome your feedback regarding the quality and quantity of documentation.
Product Key Not Persisted After Conflicting Applications Removed
When running VIPRE Setup, if you enter a product key and the computer is restarted to remove a conflicting application, the entered product key is replaced with a generic trial key. If this happens, open VIPRE, choose Help -> Registration (or press F8) and enter your beta key again. This will be fixed in the final release.
Deletion Messages during Conflicting Application Removal
When VIPRE Setup restarts the computer to remove conflicting applications, the system will display a number of “deleting” messages followed by filenames. This is expected behavior and might change in the final release.
Server Busy Messages
Occasional a message will appear “This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.” We are interested in learning from beta users if this message appears, including as many details as possible about what was being done at the time.
Easy Update Download Fails
Easy Update uses definitions that are frequently updated. However, some third-party software vendors remove or change the location of their updates. In those cases, the update will not be downloaded until the Easy Update definitions are revised.
Easy Update with Open Programs
Some applications cannot be updated by Easy Update if they are open at the time. If a particular update does not install automatically, try closing the application and manually scanning and applying updates.
Easy Update Stops Responding
When an internal error occurs, Easy Update can stop functioning until the machine (or the VIPRE service) is restarted. This will be fixed before the final release.
VIPRE Update Icon
The VIPRE Threat Definitions icon is a placeholder and will be revised in the final release.
Beta Feedback and Support

Please report any problems using our Beta Forums located at the following web address:
http://forums.gfi.com/GFI-VIPRE-Consumer-Beta-f107.aspx
For any other questions, please email the Beta Coordinator at the following email address:
lana.decker@gfi.com

http://forums.gfi.com/VIPRE-Antivir...et-Security-2013-Beta-Release-m900810180.aspx

So what are you waiting for? Give it a go

P

Plexx

Improvements on Web Filter Improvements (Internet Security only) and the web filter in VIPRE 2013 has been improved to dramatically increase web browsing performance were a must.

However one of the draw backs its the Scan UI... Yet their UI improvements start off on:
VIPRE 2013 improves the main user interface in several places, including the Settings dialog box, additional menu options, improved links to GFI technical support, and shortcut keys to commonly accessed functionality.

I really hope they take some of the feedback into consideration.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I know one major annoyance in vipre. Vipre's on acess scanner does not detect infected archives. This existed since v4 and i have told them many a times to incorporate this feature and they have not done so.

P

Plexx

malbky said:
I know one major annoyance in vipre. Vipre's on acess scanner does not detect infected archives. This existed since v4 and i have told them many a times to incorporate this feature and they have not done so.

Improvements on products are only visible step by step. Rome wasn't built in one day, although destroyed in one night...

Patience is a virtue my friend. If all security suites had all changes done in one go, there wouldn't have a need for updates, a need for improvements, etc. And since no suite is perfect, that is the cycle. Improvements and implementations done step by step.

P

Plexx

I could get it later but there is hardly any difference in main UI. Have a look at wilders (google it and you will be able to find it)

Dashke

Level 1
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks!
attachment.php

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Looks like a major overhaul to the GUI. Great job.

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
GFfiO.png

Two new features were added in VIPRE Internet Security 2013 as you can see in the screenshot above.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I thought Vipre will get Metro Based UI. Also I told Vipre about that on acess scanning issue during v4 betas. I dont know how much time they will take. I am mostly shifting to Vipre for security.

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
I want to try Vipre because of it's excellent web protection but I was held back with the BSOD. After the final version I will try it.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Using vipre and having occasional web slowdowns. I hope it vanishes in 2013. I had actually tried vipre 2012 in April and there was no slowdowns. Maybe i need a clean install? what say? Seems like its SAS Pro which is conflicting.

P

Plexx

When I first attempted VIPRE 2012 I had slowdowns on web browsing. It then went away.

Still unsure what were the slowdowns.

If 2013 has slowdowns, please do report them. I haven't have a chance to test out 2013 yet since been busy with other stuff along with ESET 6

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
It seems everyone is having the exact same problem, including mine. I'm sure that this is a common problem with any VIS version, seen many similar problems posted at their facebook group. I've tried running VIS 2012 with SAS/MBAM real-time protection turned on, can't say I noticed anything but I did encounter resource usage problem in malware detection & removal processes though.

id80

Aug 5, 2012
I have had the same problem with you these days.
Browsing has never been such slow with Vipre until recently. :(

I thought Firefox or Sandboxie caused a slowdown, but it turned out to be Vipre was the problem.
As Vipre has always been slowing down file copy/creation, real time file scan of a browser's cache files is most likely a root cause.

Due to the browsing slow down, I'm now trialing BullGuard Anti-Virus and am happy.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Easy update is a good feature.
I think its what all the other vendors would do in future,try and alert about updates to all apps installed on the PC like Secunia.
After the New java bug and flash bugs cropping up its better that an AV realizes that its out of date and prompts to auto update or does it automatically in the background.

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
Vipre 2013 installation wants me to remove Malwarebytes PRO.

Is it okay to run Vipre Internet Security 2013 with Malwarebytes PRO? Does anyone encounter some incompatibility/bugs with running these 2 side-by-side?

RobL

Jan 5, 2013
I would say yes, also the keys used for Security are null and void - please update. (Expired key)

Thanks, Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.