Advice Request VIPRE 2016

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I tried Vipre IS about a month ago and i can tell a few things.
Web blocking is very good.
Signatures aren't at the top but not bad either. I scan some folders from Malware Hub and if i remember correctly
Vipre was detecting 80-85% of the samples. For me this is a respectable percentage.
Now on the other hand web blocking is good but it's slowing down my browsing which is not good.
Another test i did is this. I disabled the AV component and turned on HIPS to see how it's reacting.
I run a few samples ( Shadow Defender enabled of course ) but i didn't see any reaction from HIPS like i was seeing from Comodo HIPS.
In defence of VIPRE i saw only one suspicious process which was gone when i restarted the system.
Finally my opinion is that VIPRE is a good security program but it's component needs improvement.

I

illumination

In my testing in the Hub, Vipre is grabbing half if not more of the samples in a static scan, then upon execution it appears AVC blocks everything I have thrown at it. Even though the sample is blocked it is left on the system to be "watched" I will try to execute that sample several times, and each time it is blocked from behavioral. I received this yesterday from one of the support of Viper explaining exactly how those that are not caught by the main av component are handled with AVC. This testing I have done is on default settings with the HIPS and IDS off. Manual deletion of the sample files and scanning the system have always returned "this system is clean" with multiple on demands and process explorer plus autoruns for windows showing nothing "running in the system".

fH4KXR7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I

illumination

AVC=Active Virus Control like BitDefender?
Happy to heat that AVC is working so good.
Have you tested HIPS? And what is your opinion about HIPSand IDS.
Vipre's new improved internet security pro is using both the old engine "Threat detection and remediation" and Bitdefender core + AVC + Nimbus (BD cloud). I have not tested the HIPS against samples as of yet, everything has been done on default settings. From testing legit applications with the HIPS, I can tell you that a threat would be hard pressed to inject code without your knowledge when set to "block with Notify" ;) <--- @Inkurax ;)

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
will take some time before I can test its HIPS module with live samples. Aside from a minor notify issue with allow and block, I will dive into it and see what happens after some extensive bombardment.

Unfortunately, right now, need to catch up with D3 as season will soon end, so please bear with me :)

On a side note, I have seen samples not detected by VIPRE but when executing them, good old AVC takes care of stuff.

One minor complaint is the ram usage sometimes going up to 300. However, no slow downs and cpu is rather quiet even when scanning.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Went up to 300 whilst downloading updates. I have it set to 4 hours.

Hips will be tested only in vm. As a gamer unless the hips module has granular control I will not use. This is mainly why I never use Internet Security suites, along with their firewall integration.

I

illumination

Went up to 300 whilst downloading updates. I have it set to 4 hours.

Hips will be tested only in vm. As a gamer unless the hips module has granular control I will not use. This is mainly why I never use Internet Security suites, along with their firewall integration.
I have officially sent a feature request up to Vipre to add Full Whitelisting of applications so that keeping "block with notify" on does not affect whitelisted applications with a barrage of code injection pop ups. If you come across any other features that would make using it better, let me know and will forward those as well.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have officially sent a feature request up to Vipre to add Full Whitelisting of applications so that keeping "block with notify" on does not affect whitelisted applications with a barrage of code injection pop ups. If you come across any other features that would make using it better, let me know and will forward those as well.
Will do however will take some time to fully dig into it as said, D3 is a priority right now :)

My only concern is everything getting blocked before even reaching HIPS, by AAP.

N

Noxx

Currently running VIPRE Internet Security on my secondary computer and it feels great. It may take a fair bit of resources, but I'm sure as heck not noticing it whether I be browsing, or gaming. WAY better than it used to be, I'll say that.

Edit: another thing worth noting is I'm running VIPRE with EMSISOFT Anti-Malware real-time, and even then, it runs well. This says something because EMSISOFT struggles with Norton computer performance wise, at least on my end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.