Advice Request VIPRE 2016

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

VIpre definition update 47798 will detect Vipre.dll as a virus. It just started last night when the update rolled out. I have submitted a ticket but wanted to give heads up to those trying it, and maybe insert a little laugh this morning. IF you are not aware, viper.dll is vipres in house engine.

817UxdM.png

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
VIpre definition update 47798 will detect Vipre.dll as a virus. It just started last night when the update rolled out. I have submitted a ticket but wanted to give heads up to those trying it, and maybe insert a little laugh this morning. IF you are not aware, viper.dll is vipres in house engine.[/spoiler]

hopefully they response your email.. and let us know what their response.
:D

Reactions: illumination
L

LabZero

VIpre definition update 47798 will detect Vipre.dll as a virus. It just started last night when the update rolled out. I have submitted a ticket but wanted to give heads up to those trying it, and maybe insert a little laugh this morning. IF you are not aware, viper.dll is vipres in house engine.

817UxdM.png
Thanks for sharing! Little mess, if some users do not pay attention or do not know this...

mostafa96

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 2, 2015

817UxdM.png

I had this problem yesterday it kept detect dll file in Vipre folder for about 4 hours and now its gone

N

Noxx

Very satisfied with my VIPRE ISP experience thus far. It probably has the most clean and user-friendly interface I've ever encountered, it runs light (much more so than NORTON, and this is very attractive in my eyes), it has email prot, HIPS, IDS, anti-phishing, easy firewall rule management, anti-exploit, web filtering, auto-patching for software/Windows Update and a few other things. Other software suits have some of these features, but I've yet to see it be done in such a light, and stress-free package. Will continue to do testing with it for a few more weeks, and if all goes well, I may consider dropping NORTON with no grudges attached (particularly to the person who was kind enough to give me a key).

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alkajak

@Noxx Great decision for the switch. I test Norton daily in the Hub and I know @illumination tests VIPRE daily. As far as his results go versus mine, detection rate is very similar. Vipre is a little more aggressive on blocking files, but it does not weigh down the system as a result. I find the biggest flaw with Norton is the delay on SONAR and Auto-Protect. I find myself sometimes waiting up to 5 minutes for a UAC prompt when I try to install something that doesn't have a "trusted" signature (most recent example would be 7zip from the official website). Very solid product, and a very reasonable switch without losing peace of mind about security.

N

Noxx

@Noxx Great decision for the switch. I test Norton daily in the Hub and I know @illumination tests VIPRE daily. As far as his results go versus mine, detection rate is very similar. Vipre is a little more aggressive on blocking files, but it does not weigh down the system as a result. I find the biggest flaw with Norton is the delay on SONAR and Auto-Protect. I find myself sometimes waiting up to 5 minutes for a UAC prompt when I try to install something that doesn't have a "trusted" signature (most recent example would be 7zip from the official website). Very solid product, and a very reasonable switch without losing peace of mind about security.

That's what I was kind of hoping for. Similar detection rates but something with a little less system impact. And wow, 5 minute delay for UAC prompt? I bet that's fun. I still love NORTON, but with the information you just provided and my own personal experiences, it's not for me at this time.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
To the users who want to go VIPRE route, unless you want its HIPS module, you can easily have decent results with the AV version.

I run the AV version on my main system, whilst running IS Pro on VM and bombarding VIPRE like there is no tomorrow, similar to @illumination . The main difference however is that I do not participate in the malwarehub, so I only submit samples to VIPRE, even if it blocks its access etc, plus I do specific tests to see if it is worth going IS over AV on my own system, since historically, I do not opt for IS solutions.

N

Noxx

The HIPS is incredible. It's hyper-sensitive, but I don't consider that to be a bad thing at all because once you whitelist your usual programs, it's a 16th century master crafted Katana just waiting to eviscerate anything else from getting in. But in all seriuosness, VIPRE's HIPS is by itself worth the price of the internet security package (haven't bought it yet, though).

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
The HIPS is incredible. It's hyper-sensitive, but I don't consider that to be a bad thing at all because once you whitelist your usual programs, it's a 16th century master crafted Katana just waiting to eviscerate anything else from getting in. But in all seriuosness, VIPRE's HIPS is by itself worth the price of the internet security package (haven't bought it yet, though).
it is sensitive. If I am to exclude the programs and games I use, there is a lot to exclude.
I still can't and wouldnt risk allow with notify. example: systernals process explorer.
Dont have the issue with battlenet tho.

I am running out of ammo to bombard the HIPS. soon I have to use the mirror system image for it. Not going to risk on live system after todays FP which has been already fixed btw.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
N

Noxx

it is sensitive. If I am to exclude the programs and games I use, there is a lot to exclude.
I still can't and wouldnt risk allow with notify. example: systernals process explorer.
Dont have the issue with battlenet tho.

I am running out of ammo to bombard the HIPS. soon I have to use the mirror system image for it. Not going to risk on live system after todays FP which has been already fixed btw.

VIPRE was acting up when I was playing H1Z1 (zombie early access game on steam) today, but apart from that, it's been friendly with gaming. Yesterday I installed Paragon backup and it was a NIGHTMARE to install. I practically had to shutdown HIPS to get it working. So yeah, very sensitive, to say the least.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
VIPRE was acting up when I was playing H1Z1 (zombie early access game on steam) today, but apart from that, it's been friendly with gaming. Yesterday I installed Paragon backup and it was a NIGHTMARE to install. I practically had to shutdown HIPS to get it working. So yeah, very sensitive, to say the least.
This is why I was previously running VIPRE AV instead of IS.

I did manage to bypass VIPRE and finally infected the test system (VIPRE AV system).
It however blocked the dropper from downloading everything but 4 infections were bypassed, including a browser hijack. Full scan then cleaned 2 infections.
The remaining was from Adwclear + MBAM and 2 restarts later system was clean.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For someone not familiar with vipre, why would a person choose it over Bitdefender?

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
For someone not familiar with vipre, why would a person choose it over Bitdefender?
default settings of vipre works out of the box. Lighter and less aggressive than BD. BD historically is known to have issues every few versions and they take their time to fix their bugs. Similar to avast. Head over to their forums and have a look.

Vipre does not turn on stuff that requires advanced user. They are targeted at home users, therefore they provide basic yet capable protection out of the box (similar to Norton and Kaspersky basically).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is it true that the HIPS for x64 systems is better than with BD, but BD has better virus definitions?
And how does the web protection compare?

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
VIPRE uses BD definitions, so you might just be around half a day to a day max behind original BD.

Web protection is fine.

VIPRE hips only has 4 modes: Block/Block with Notify/Allow/Allow with Notify.

I do not recall seeing BD with HIPS but with their own Behaviour Blocker.

Also, VIPRE uses a technology from BD (AVC).

Safe1st did a video upon my request on VIPRE:
Video Review - Vipre Internet Security Pro Prevention and Detection Test (safe1st)

8-Bit Ghetto

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2016
VIPRE uses BD definitions, so you might just be around half a day to a day max behind original BD.

Web protection is fine.

VIPRE hips only has 4 modes: Block/Block with Notify/Allow/Allow with Notify.

I do not recall seeing BD with HIPS but with their own Behaviour Blocker.

Also, VIPRE uses a technology from BD (AVC).

Safe1st did a video upon my request on VIPRE:
Video Review - Vipre Internet Security Pro Prevention and Detection Test (safe1st)

So VIPRE similar to Emsisoft, F-Secure, and G-Data that uses BitDefender signature + their signature?

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
So VIPRE similar to Emsisoft, F-Secure, and G-Data that uses BitDefender signature + their signature?
If we are talking about using others signatures, then yes. Its a business model.

However VIPRE is nothing like Emsisoft, F-Secure and G-Data since each one have their own tweaks and protection modules.

VIPRE with BD signatures for example is not as heavy as it would be G-Data for example, or even TS360 with BD engine enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.