5. RAM usage (Idle)
U0G6U.png

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Very good review. Vipre is a really good AV suite.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Good review. I just wanna ask you does it Hips still keeps on popping warnings like v4. If no ill give it a spin cuz i have two vipre premium keys in store. V good review.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
This the details:
SzmvT.png

in my testing, HIPS are not careful, because it's my turn OFF.
there, had no choice "ask"
I want to appear like comodo defense +, thus we can choose allow or block. In Vipre do not have it. as you see above.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you want to use the HIPS and make it effective then "Block and Notify" since this would be recommended for advance users.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
I'm not sure, with "block and notify"
but, I think. "block and notify" will directly block. and, there only appeared alert and detail and the "OK" button.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
I'm contacting GFI Software Support.
I'm asking about HIPS option.

he's said:
"Block or Allow with Notify" is added because there are users that wanted to informed if there are files that are detected. the file might be legitimate to the user and he does not want it to be blocked. the file might also be malicious and the user can select block

"allow or block" simply allows or blocks the file/traffice without notice. if this is selected the user does not have any option to allow or block the file. there are cases where a program or application is not working because it got blocked

so, I think, the user is given a chance to allow or block the traffic ,or files.
can create from the vipre window - you can create rule for Applications, Ports, Network ,or Gateway.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Allow or Block would not pop up an information since it will do automatically for all files.

While with notify it can be more useful since a detailed information will popup and can put in exception when the block the legitimate application (same like the realtime popup for Vipre).

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Allow or Block would not pop up an information since it will do automatically for all files.

While with notify it can be more useful since a detailed information will popup and can put in exception when the block the legitimate application (same like the realtime popup for Vipre).

I know james.
read my post, before your post.
I've contact Vipre, via livechat.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
A great and an informative review win7holic, By the way, RAM usage is not a big problem since newer PCs are shipped with 2 GB RAM or more.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
thank you boxx.
Yes. you're right. I just want all computer users know about it, Boxx
(for more details)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Conclusion: Overall, This software very powerful for prevention ,In my test ,Web filter block all malicious links. .
Yes VIPRE has a very solid web guard, I've tested it many times and like you I was also surprised to see it work so efficiently......still wondering how VIPRE manages to get such good results with their webguard... maybe they update their webguard def. with the links from the major sites that offer malware samples for testing..... ?

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
I think like that too, jack.
but if so, leave it alone.
if it was true, they do like it.
means they do not want their products judged poor.

however, tests are comes from "Test RAP Virusbtn Apr-Jun 2011" vipre showed a good result, jack.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
rynesandbergfan23 did a interesting test with VIPRE IS 2012.... the results were not that great.... Maybe VIPRE should start improving their HIPS engine because detection is not everything............

Last edited:

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Jack said:
rynesandbergfan23 did a interesting test with VIPRE IS 2012.... the results were not that great.... Maybe VIPRE should start improving their HIPS engine because detection is not everything............

yes. I watch it already.
but, this afternoon I contact to GFI. as you can read the post above.
about the details "Block or allow with notify" and "block or allow"
do you read it? :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
win7holic said:
but, this afternoon I contact to GFI. as you can read the post above.
about the details "Block or allow with notify" and "block or allow"
do you read it? :)

Yes I know how to tweak the HIPS for better protection but right now a regular user will not even benefit from the HIPS engine because it's disabled by default....and even if someone does enable it , than it will have to face a ton of alerts as the white list is completely missing...The HIPS is in a early beta stage for years now and it seems that GFI has no plans for improving this level of protection for it's users......

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Yes. they need to improve the quality from HIPS.
because I thought again, HIPS is necessary at this time, especially in the future. :)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
They really need a lot of improvements for their HIPS, It doesn't ask the user in Real Time, Doesn't have a Whitelist too. HIPS isn't actually needed for better security if you have the knowledge and the common sense.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
HIPS isn't actually needed for better security if you have the knowledge and the common sense.

yes, you are right.
it's why I set up a simple configuration.

cheers boxx :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.