Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi Technologies released a new stable version of the company's web browser. Vivaldi 3.7 focuses to a large extent on improving the performance of the browser in several areas. One point of criticism that Vivaldi faced ever since it introduced the browser was that the performance of the web browser was not as good as that of Google Chrome or many other Chromium-based browsers.

Vivaldi 3.7 is the first stable version of the browser that supports Apple's latest ARM-based M1 processors natively. The new chips give all applications a performance boost, and Vivaldi Technology states that users who run the browser on M1 processor hardware will get two times the performance on Mac devices.

Performance has improved in several other areas. All desktop versions of Vivaldi open tabs (up to) twice as fast as before according to the release notes when compared to Vivaldi 3.6, the previous version of the browser.
"Opening of tabs is faster now — facilitating a better user experience and increasing speed up to 2x as fast as the previous version (based on our internal benchmarks*)."
Vivaldi itself loads faster as well in version 3.7. The company notes that the browser opens new windows 26% faster on average than before. Mileage may vary depending on the hardware of the machine Vivaldi is run on and the operating system.
Engineers have added other features to the browser, many of the amp up usability in one department or another:
  • The periodic reload feature is now also available for Web Panels. Web Panels are displayed in the sidebar in the browser when used. Tabs featured the periodic reload option already, automating page refreshes. Ideal for auction sites, news sites, and sites that post new content regularly.
  • A new tab stack creating option; this one creates tab stacks by host, ideal to put all those pages from Ghacks into a single tab stack for easier handling.
  • The right-click context menu that appears on web pages can be customized now, similarly to how other menus of the browser can be customized. Just open Settings > Appearance, select one of the new menu options under Menu Customization, and add, remove or edit the menu entries. The menus are divided into types, e.g. audio and video, links, or text fields.
  • Quick Commands bold the keyword that you searched in the new release, and it is possible to use the periodic reload feature here, by typing "periodic reload 2" to reload the active tab every 2 minutes.
  • The process of updating silently on Windows has started.

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Update: Installed and started to use it. Imported bookmarks from Firefox and setup everything for full time usage. Needs to use it for a few days for making any good option.
However, the initial impression is too good.
  • The primary thing that I like in Vivaldi, which IIRC was present before also, is the pop-up notification alerting when trying to exit the browser. Firefox does this when multiple tabs are open, but Chrome/Edgium never alerts. This feature is so important for me as I many times accidentally click on the exit button. Browsers let you restore last session but that is not enough if you are on an important session like online meeting or banking site.
  • The browser has become fast enough. At least on my machine I am finding it as fast as Edgium / Firefox.
  • Features are good enough for my taste.
Lets see if I can keep it at least as my second choice browser. Edgium won't become my first choice due to the lack of exit alert option. I like it very much otherwise and recommend others to use it in place of chrome.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
@sg09 It's coming...

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@sg09 It's coming...

It's already here on v89, just enable the flag "Ask Before Closing Multiple Tabs" in edge://flags/
Screenshot 2021-03-18 015301.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
In general, the most of well-known browsers are almost the same in terms of Privacy, nobody can really trust what is said by browser companies, probably never will disclose fully about how much and what kind of data are "taken" in form of telemetry...

Just choose one major browser (Edge, Firefox, Brave, Opera, etc.) to suit your needs and you shouldn't be too much worried about Privacy ;)

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Observed one bug. I use BItwarden as the password manager on all the browsers. The timeout lock is set at 1 minute. It locks after that time in Firefox & Edgium, but remains logged in at Vivaldi until browser restart.

Looks like it is an old bug.

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Observed one bug. I use BItwarden as the password manager on all the browsers. The timeout lock is set at 1 minute. It locks after that time in Firefox & Edgium, but remains logged in at Vivaldi until browser restart.

Looks like it is an old bug.
Well, I believe Bitwarden should be working closely with Vivaldi to get it fixed.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
"Vivaldi explains how it managed to speed up the browser"
The company published a blog post on its site explaining how it integrated the improvements in the browser:
"We have essentially reworked the PageStore, a component we like to think of as the beating heart of the Vivaldi UI. The PageStore is where tabs store information about their state so that they can access the information later."
Engineers changed the logic of PageStore, a major component that is part of Vivaldi. The improved PageStore will ignore change scenarios that don't change anything effectively; this reliefs the user interface from having to react to these changes and that in turn improves the performance.

Vivaldi Technologies made the changes to the parts of the browser that are specific to the Vivaldi browser, and not to the Chromium core. If the improvements would have been made to the Chromium core, all browsers based on Chromium would benefit from these improvements.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.