New Update Vivaldi Desktop Releases

LM77

Level 1
Verified
Sep 11, 2016
I don't see Vivaldi getting much love here on the forum. Anyone have recent experience with it? :unsure:
It is my main Chrome based browser (I also use FF a lot), and for geeky users - though presumably not for others - it is terrific!

Among the features I find most useful: (a) multiple workspaces and (b) tab stacks - both extremely useful features for users who want to conveniently manage a lot of open websites; (c) the option to hibernate all background tabs, which saves a lot of memory.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Massive code refactoring brings speed to Vivaldi 6.2
Over the years, some of you have reported that the opening of new windows was not fast enough. But not anymore!

Our new version on desktop – Vivaldi 6.2 – is now faster, especially when you open a new window. By rendering browser windows through React portals, we’ve unlocked new possibilities, reduced memory usage, and significantly improved overall performance.

Upgrade to Vivaldi 6.2 today on your desktop and notebooks, and enjoy faster and more efficient window creation.

We’ve also rolled out a new version on Android, today.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi 6.2 speeds up performance and adds this unique feature
Vivaldi 6.2 is the newest version of Vivaldi Technologies web browser. The new version marks a major milestone for the project, as it speeds up the opening of new browser windows significantly in many cases. Also new is the ability to customize the address field output when you type by selecting the sources Vivaldi pulls information from.

Vivaldi Technologies notes that it is now rendering browser windows through React portals. The effect of the code refactoring is that the browser opens windows faster now and that it uses less memory for browser windows.

The company explains that the JavaScript Framework Portal Windows derives from React. Vivaldi engineers worked on the project for several years to implement the feature in the browser. The main goal was to reduce memory and CPU usage, and also introduce improvements that would not have been possible otherwise.

Vivaldi Technologies ran benchmarks to compare the before and after performance. Vivaldi's window opening speed improved by 37% after the changes were implemented claims the company. The benchmarks were run on a low-end Intel 2GHz Core i3 processor. Compared to an older version of the browser from 2018, windows opened 64% faster, according to Vivaldi Technologies.

Vivaldi 6.2: Address Field customizations​

Vivaldi 6.2 ships with several new features and improvements. One of the most interesting ones is the ability to change the priority of address field items that the browser displays when users type in the address bar.

All modern web browsers use several sources they pull data from: from search, the user's bookmarks, the browsing history, or pages visited frequently.

Vivaldi users may control the output of the browser in Vivaldi 6.2 by changing priorities and removing entire sources from the list of sources Vivaldi uses. It is possible to turn off search entirely to only get local results, or to keep search and bookmarks, but disable the browsing history.

You can change the the priority and data sources of the output in the following way in Vivaldi 6.2:
  1. Select the Vivaldi Menu and then Settings.
  2. Switch to Address Bar in the sidebar of the Settings window that opens.
  3. Scroll down to Drop-Down Menu Priority.
  4. There, you may uncheck any of the available sources:
    • Autocomplete Results.
    • Search.
    • Bookmarks.
    • Search Suggestions.
    • Nicknames.
    • Frequently Visited Pages.
    • Typed History.
    • Browser History.
  5. Most of the options may also be moved. Select them and use drag & drop, or the up/down icons in the lower right corner of the interface.
    • Note that the first two options, Autocomplete Result and Search, can't be moved at this time.
There is a handy Reset Priority button to restore the original configuration at any time.

vivaldi address field customize

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi 6.2.3105.45
This update contains fixes a common crash.

The following improvements were made since the initial 6.2 stable release:
  • [Crash] On accessing site specific settings (VB-99587)
  • [Onboarding][Mail] Update tips to reflect changes to View Filters (VB-99451)
  • [Toolbars] Editor is narrower and not centered (VB-99394)
  • [Panels] Not resizable if set to Separate Width (VB-99428)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi 6.2.3105.47
This update includes security improvements from the Chromium project and some key fixes from our side.

The following improvements were made since the first 6.2 minor update:
  • [Address bar][Settings] Autocomplete doesn’t work when disabling search category (VB-99798)
  • [Chromium] Upgraded to 116.0.5845.184
  • [Mail] Index failure key already exists (VB-99027)
  • [Profiles] Delete of current profile causes freezes (VB-99565)
  • [Search][Settings] Enabling suggestions for Ecosia does not work (VB-99742)
  • [Tabs] Bottom of low letters is truncated in tab bar (VB-99619)
  • [Tabs] Tab dragging detachment may fail (VB-99691)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@oldschool, if you're not using Vivaldi yourself, I definitely recommend giving it a try. Especially after yesterday's update which addresses a frequent complaint with speed users had. 😉 And if you have any questions let me know.
I tried it once again and indeed its speed is good, however trying to set up Vivaldi to my liking was a huge bust. Too many features, cumbersome settings. The virtual fusion of Firefox customization options and chromium settings is so jumbled that initial setup is not familiar to anyone who uses both FF and chromium variants, e.g. adding custom theme wouldn't work, extensions, etc. Some things that are simple in those browsers aren't in Vivaldi. No wonder Vivaldi has its own Help pages. It needs them. I've tried V several times and it's just not for me.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi is fastest browser on android for me, on desktop it is as fast as edge, if not even faster

The speed update really made difference in ram usage and performance..great job (y)
Yeah you are right, overall speed improvement makes a huge difference 👍 this time we can give applause for all of Vivaldi Team 👏

Is it possible to drag or move extensions in Vivaldi, similar to Chrome or Edge? It appears this feature is not yet available in Vivaldi.
Confirmed that doesn't work by design since a long time. I have my own solution to install my favorite browser extension after each other in the order how do you like...

But maybe @JaneN would report this as feature request to developers of Vivaldi, let's see ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Confirmed that doesn't work by design since a long time. I have my own solution to install my favorite browser extension after each other in the order how do you like...

But maybe @JaneN would report this as feature request to developers of Vivaldi, let's see ;)
I turn off the extensions, then restart Vivaldi. After that, I turn on the extensions in the order I prefer. How do you do it?

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I turn off the extensions, then restart Vivaldi. After that, I turn on the extensions in the order I prefer. How do you do it?
@Jan Willy kindly shared this link below from Vivaldi Forum, there someone mentioned this does the trick... Here for me it seems to work well 👍
Quote: You can simply press Ctrl+Drag with Mouse to arrange extensions order

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi Stable 6.2.3105.48
This update includes security improvements from the Chromium project.

The following improvements were made since the second 6.2 minor update:
  • [Chromium] Upgraded to 116.0.5845.195: fixes CVE-2023-4863 — Heap buffer overflow in WebP. Reported by Apple Security Engineering and Architecture (SEAR) and The Citizen Lab at The University of Torontoʼs Munk School on 2023-09-06

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi Stable 6.2.3105.51
This update includes various important fixes for Vivaldi 6.2.

The following improvements were made since the third 6.2 minor update:
  • [Crash] Hang on startup leaving the window with the grey background (VB-99982)
  • [Crash][Tabs] When opening and closing quickly (VB-97724)
  • [Feeds] Detect feeds dynamically on YouTube (VB-93235)
  • [Mail] Detect leading “<html” root signature in text/plain as text/html (VB-98336)
  • [Mail] First account doesn’t fetch messages initially (VB-99838)
  • [Mail] Ignore whitespace-only subparts of multipart messages (VB-98336)
  • [Panels] Auto-closing floated panel close button (VB-99169)
  • [macOS][Media] 1-pixel white line in full-screen videos (VB-99645)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi Stable 6.2.3105.54
This update includes various important fixes for Vivaldi 6.2 and a security fix from Chromium upstream to handle CVE-2023-5217.

The following improvements were made since the fourth 6.2 minor update:
  • [Address bar] Can be blank/empty (VB-99745)
  • [Chromium] Upgraded to 116.0.5845.230: CVE-2023-5217
  • [Crash][Spatial Navigation] Crash while reloading a page (VB-100012)
  • [Crash][Workspaces] Closing window with an open workspace with hibernating tabs (VB-99800)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.