Not open for further replies.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb, errrr, about preconfigured web apps :unsure: I remember we sort of agreed over on That Other Site that really the only apps of any consequence are browsers, simply because they offer the most opportunities for network interaction. OTOH, where are we on IRC etc?

The biggest problem I can see with preconfigured web apps is the sheer number of titles :eek: where we're going back to enumerating badness. IMHO, VS should look to see what is running at any moment and ask if that is to be monitored as a web app. That way, things like MS Word probably won't count as all they really do is go searching for that truly-vital-cos-the-document-won't-work-without-it macro. Which will most likely be pinged by VS anyway :)
Cool, thank you, we can all talk about this and figure out what to do on this together. For now, the web apps settings will get us by as it is.

It would be difficult to prompt the user every time there is an app with web traffic... there would be way too many prompts. The good news is that the vast majority of users use the same web apps, and most users who use alternatives quickly realize that VS does not toggle with their web app unless they add it.

Reactions: simmerskool

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
It's true that MS Word is not much of a threat, as far as connecting to the web is concerned. But downloaded docs are indeed a threat, for various reasons.
When VS turns on, due to a web app, you are getting stronger protection, so it makes sense to manually add MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint to the web apps list.
I assume Dan didn't do that by default because it will make VS turn on too often, and the extra prompts might drive a noob user past his frustration point.
But it is a good tweak for an advanced user with a higher frustration point. So it seems to me, at least.
This is how I have always viewed this...

If a user starts their computer and opens Word to write a letter, there is not a chance they are going to become infected, simply because they are not browsing the internet or checking email. It is only when the user browses the web or checks their email, that they are truly at risk. Basically, weaponized documents do not originate from Microsoft Office, they originate from web apps.

The important thing here that we hardly ever discuss is this... we have to consider where malware originates from.

VS still protects from these types of attacks, even when it is "OFF", but the computer should only be fully locked when it is doing something dangerous.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
If shutdown is slow, try this, it might help:
1 put VS in training mode
2 Shutdown
3 Restart
4 Take VS out of training mode
Great idea, thank you! And if the shutdown slowdown disappears, please post what new processes were recently whitelisted as a result of the shutdown. It will help narrow down why this is happening on some systems.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
No, that is checked.

I just experienced this issue with thunderbird.exe. I launched the program repeatedly and each time I got a notification (which I allowed but had no effect since thunderbird.exe was whitelisted by snapshot). Coincidentally, the user log did not record any of these launches.

In the end, I deleted the snapshot whitelist entry/launched thunderbird.exe and "allowed" the program. After doing so, I received no further notifications with subsequent thunderbird.exe launches.

I'm not sure whether this program was whitelisted by the basic or advanced snapshot, but either way, its whitelist entry was ineffective.
That is extremely odd... the next time this happens, can you please send me your DeveloperLog.log file, right after this happens? Please email it to support at voodooshield.com. Are you running an English version of Windows / Regional settings?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb
when everything is stable
Would be great to see a YouTube video with the new v4, like the old one did for v3
Yeah, in a couple of weeks I plan to create a lot of videos. Hopefully soon I will be able to go full time with VS, and hopefully I will have help as well. Once this happens, things will not be so crazy ;).

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
That is extremely odd... the next time this happens, can you please send me your DeveloperLog.log file, right after this happens? Please email it to support at voodooshield.com. Are you running an English version of Windows / Regional settings?
English version/Win8.1-64/boots to Desktop w/o login.

Attached is Developer Log since my last db delete (Tbird logs only). As you can see, the snapshot whitelist entry was working yesterday (10/2), but not today. I don't see anything notable.

In the Service Log, the last Tbird entry was yesterday (10/2). No entries are shown today.

FWIW, I put my PC to sleep overnight and woke it today before launching Tbird. Maybe the service doesn't like napping :X3:

Attachments

• tbird_vs_log.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 400
Reactions: shmu26

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
English version/Win8.1-64/boots to Desktop w/o login.

Attached is Developer Log since my last db delete (Tbird logs only). As you can see, the snapshot whitelist entry was working yesterday (10/2), but not today. I don't see anything notable.

In the Service Log, the last Tbird entry was yesterday (10/2). No entries are shown today.

FWIW, I put my PC to sleep overnight and woke it today before launching Tbird. Maybe the service doesn't like napping :X3:
Cool, thank you, I see what is wrong now... your Program Files(x86) folder is on your D drive.

VS is hardwired to use the C drive for these folders, but I can change this to an environmental variable, so that VS will recognize it either way.

I will make this change right now, thank you!

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Cool, thank you, I see what is wrong now... your Program Files(x86) folder is on your D drive.
Hey Dan... I try to keep "C-drive" dedicated to the OS — and for programs that refuse alternate partitions (you wouldn't happen to know any of those miscreants, would you).

Nearly all of my programs reside on "D drive". So Program Files and Program Files (x86) exist on both C & D partitions.

Maybe that explains issues I've had w/WinRAR, 7Zip, etc. :unsure:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey Dan... I try to keep "C-drive" dedicated to the OS — and for programs that refuse alternate partitions (you wouldn't happen to know any of those miscreants, would you).

Nearly all of my programs reside on "D drive". So Program Files and Program Files (x86) exist on both C & D partitions.

Maybe that explains issues I've had w/WinRAR, 7Zip, etc. :unsure:
Why yes... yes, that would explain this bug ;). The odd thing is that this has be hardwired since VS 2.0, so I am unsure why it is an issue now.

Either way, it should be fixed now. If I have time to setup a VM and change the program files folders to the D drive and test before the next release, I certainly will. Otherwise, it should work great, and if you have any problems with VS 4.06, please let me know. Thank you!

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Either way, it should be fixed now. If I have time to setup a VM and change the program files folders to the D drive and test before the next release, I certainly will. Otherwise, it should work great, and if you have any problems with VS 4.06, please let me know. Thank you!
Dan, I'll wait until 4.06. I'm unable to set up the VM efficiently here.

But coincidentally I just had a series of notifications of "inet.cpl" after closing Internet Explorer (probably the first time this has run on my 4.05 install).
2017-10-03_14h52_26.png

I've attached the Developer Log history for this. Why so many notifications? Is this normal? I don't see this entry in my whitelist or in my user log.

Attachments

• developerlog_inetDOTcpl.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 408

dg17

Level 1
Aug 20, 2017

VS is hardwired to use the C drive for these folders, but I can change this to an environmental variable, so that VS will recognize it either way.

I will make this change right now, thank you!

Good - that will help. I always run my programs from different drives. I thought we discussed this years ago on the other side and it was changed. Probably explains why I cannot get ver 4 to run properly (pop ups that don't stick) and have been running 3.59.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Good - that will help. I always run my programs from different drives. I thought we discussed this years ago on the other side and it was changed. Probably explains why I cannot get ver 4 to run properly (pop ups that don't stick) and have been running 3.59.
If you have the licensed version, you could enable "custom folders" and configure your own program folders the same way as the default program folders are configured.
If you enable "custom folders", and you then take a peek at the default program folders, you will see.
As far as I remember, program folders are not ticked. Whether VS is toggled "ON" or "OFF", it is the same. But check it out, to make sure.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
If you have the licensed version, you could enable "custom folders" and configure your own program folders the same way as the default program folders are configured.
That sounded good on the surface, but when I went to do this I got this notification.
2017-10-04_11h42_30.png
Does that mean I will now be notified for a plethora of Windows-related files? I'm not really understanding "Custom Folders". I thought that was additional protection.

EDIT1: OK I did this and unchecked Program Files and Program Files (x86) on my "D drive". Leaving all else as is.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26 and plat1098

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
An anomaly... I use Screenpresso for screen captures. When I launch it manually I always get a notification even though it is in the whitelist (user allowed). So I deleted it from the whitelist and relaunched. Here is the initial notification:
1.png
OK... that seems normal. I select "Allow" and the program is added to the whitelist.
Next, I exit the program and relaunch. Uh-oh. A notification:
2.png
Now, this is odd. Not only did this notification appear, but it says...
Voodoo AI is not yet available for this file type

But that's not what happened on the initial launch (SEE FIRST THUMBNAIL)

I get this notification with each subsequent launch even though it resides in the whitelist.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb ... why do I have to reduce (Maximum to Typical) my daily rider router Security to reach Cuckoo. Um, does VoodooShield need Typical for other VS functions.
I'm not sure... are there descriptions for each of your router levels? If so, if you post them I can look and see if there is a clue in there somewhere.

Here is a quick update... I have been having all kinds of "fun" trying to figure out the regional conversion issues. I am absolutely terrible with troubleshooting these types of issues, so if I cannot figure it out soon, Alex will help me figure it out... he is great with that kind of stuff.

Once this is finished, there are 4-5 other bugs I need to finish fixing, then we should be good to go.

Also, please keep in mind that VS 4.0 will temporarily have a few more blocks then 3.59... but over the next 2-3 weeks I will be refining the code, and the blocks will disappear soon. See, when redoing a lot of the code for VS, I tightened our locking mechanism even more, and now we have to find ways to safely allow items that should not be blocked. Here is one example... remember when I was talking about how VS 4.0 now also compares the parent process when checking the whitelist? That tightens the lock even more, but it will also temporarily produce a few more blocks, until I get a chance to refine the code. It is a little bit of a tedious process, but it will be worth it in the end.

VS has always been about creating the absolute tightest and strongest lock possible, while still remaining user friendly... as demonstrated earlier this year in test videos.

BTW, I also added logging for all of the blocks that users are experiencing. On one occasion I had an odd series of blocks with VS 4.0... but other than that, VS 4.0 has been quiet as a church mouse and has had zero bugs / exceptions. But anyway, once I see what is being blocked, it will be super easy to fix. I would bet that there are probably 2-3 bugs that are causing the blocks for users.

Also, a few people have asked about the blacklist scan... VS 3.59 scanned the file with the blacklist and VoodooAi, then stored the results in the VoodooAi cloud database. This is because the VoodooAi results will never change until the machines are retrained... which is a good thing.

VS 4.0 does the same thing, but now it also checks the current blacklist results each time to see if they have changed, and if so, updates the results. So basically, now the blacklist scan will always contain the most current results.

Thank you guys! I really hope we can wrap everything up in the next few days!!!

Last edited:

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
I'm not sure... are there descriptions for each of your router levels? If so, if you post them I can look and see if there is a clue in there somewhere.
Only have same screenshot as already posted. (ISP rented router)
1394.png

dg17

Level 1
Aug 20, 2017
If you enable "custom folders", and you then take a peek at the default program folders, you will see.
As far as I remember, program folders are not ticked. Whether VS is toggled "ON" or "OFF", it is the same. But check it out, to make sure.

Thanks - I forgot about that.

Reactions: shmu26

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Dan, good job! Can you release the final version on the website when you finished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.