_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I see what you mean now... yeah, anything outside the built in Program Files folders is going to be scrutinized much harder than the built in / environmental variable ones. But for example, if there was a reg edit that allowed you to change the built in path, VS would automatically assume that these folders on the D drive are your program file folders.

BTW, I figured out why the AirVPN command lines are being blocked... it is as easy fix. It will be included in the next release. AirVPN is pretty cool btw, I have never tried it before.
I have used it for some time now, Man I love it (y)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
try switching to PeaZip
OT: One of the things I like about 7zip is its ability to open *exe files. For example...
2017-10-10_21h51_34.png
Can PeaZip do that?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Mr.Gump

Level 1
Sep 6, 2017
disabled BitDefender and install went fine. No issues with 4.06 on Wind 10 64bt

under "Advanced Settings" if I disable everything except "anti-exploit protection", does that mean VS will not be able to take advantage of "Basic" settings like "automatically allow white listed items voodooAI cloud and auto allow approved command lines and items that match a digital signature"? Thanks

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

dg17

Level 1
Aug 20, 2017
a) Win 8.1-64bit
b) No tweaks. Many installers allow you to prescribe the installation path. I just replace "C" with "D" for the most part. For programs that don't allow users to define the installation path (ex VS) I just live with that.

If it matters most of my Windows profile folders (Documents, Downloads, Videos, Pictures, etc.) reside on "E drive". Again that is done simply by changing the "Location" setting under folder properties.

I can't be the only one putting my program installations outside the OS partition. Doing so simplifies imaging backups.

Take full control over your clipboard history
Likewise. I always install outside the C: drive.

Reactions: codswollip

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Way to go Dan!! This is the Qualys SSL Test:

View attachment 169466

I wish a few other sites would make the same effort :censored:
Thank you, I appreciate that! I am not a web security expert, so I cannot tell you how much difference it makes, but either way, since VS is a security company, we should make sure everything is secure. I have a few more adjustments to make, but we will end up with somewhere between a B+ and an A+ rating for the various test sites. See, when you lock things down too tight, it tends to break stuff on the site, so I am not sure there is a way to secure absolutely everything on the site... but will will make it as secure as possible.

BTW, I keep calling Malware Blocker MM... sorry about that MB ;). Anyway, MB referred me to nmap, so I wanted to thank him for that.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
disabled BitDefender and install went fine. No issues with 4.06 on Wind 10 64bt

under "Advanced Settings" if I disable everything except "anti-exploit protection", does that mean VS will not be able to take advantage of "Basic" settings like "automatically allow white listed items voodooAI cloud and auto allow approved command lines and items that match a digital signature"? Thanks
It is definitely best to leave most of the settings as their default values, and change only what needs to be changed. VS's settings interact with each other, and if you change tons of settings, it is difficult to say what will happen. Then again, you can experiment with it and see what works for you. Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
View attachment 169491 When I drag and drop a file to be scanned with VS, I get th old internet connection popup now.
Hmmm, this means that for some reason VS cannot communicate with the internet. Do you have a firewall that is blocking VS? What happens if you try to execute a non-whitelisted file when this happens? Do you get the same message? Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
OT: One of the things I like about 7zip is its ability to open *exe files. For example...
View attachment 169464
Can PeaZip do that?
I studied your video and reproduced EVERYTHING on a test system. To make a long story short, the only safe way a compression utility is going to work properly with VS is if it is installed in the c:\program files or c:\program files (x86) folders. There is a small chance that I might be able to change this in the future, but it would add a lot of extra code, and might present an opportunity for a bypass if it is not implemented correctly. From a security perspective, I am a firm believer that applications need to be installed in the program file folders (which are Windows protected folders), and user data belongs in the user space, and so on. Thank you!

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I studied your video and reproduced EVERYTHING on a test system. To make a long story short, the only safe way a compression utility is going to work properly with VS is if it is installed in the c:\program files or c:\program files (x86) folders. There is a small chance that I might be able to change this in the future, but it would add a lot of extra code, and might present an opportunity for a bypass if it is not implemented correctly. From a security perspective, I am a firm believer that applications need to be installed in the program file folders (which are Windows protected folders), and user data belongs in the user space, and so on. Thank you!

For clarification, this goes beyond compression utilities. Basically, any program I have on D partition is affected (ex. Potplayer, NitroPro, Notepad++ and so on). So launching PDFs, videos, graphics files, etc., from Chrome (or my search utility, Everything) results in a notification. I tried Custom Folders and marked the D partition Program Files/Program Files (x86) folders to match those on C partition, but there was no change in notification behavior. It does seem odd though that double-clicking a zip file from Windows Explorer launches 7zip from D partition without a notification, but launching that same file through a program like Chrome (which does reside on C partition) gets flagged.

Thanks for looking into this Dan. I guess I'll have to live with that for now.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
For clarification, this goes beyond compression utilities. Basically, any program I have on D partition is affected (ex. Potplayer, NitroPro, Notepad++ and so on). So launching PDFs, videos, graphics files, etc., from Chrome (or my search utility, Everything) results in a notification. I tried Custom Folders and marked the D partition Program Files/Program Files (x86) folders to match those on C partition, but there was no change in notification behavior. It does seem odd though that double-clicking a zip file from Windows Explorer launches 7zip from D partition without a notification, but launching that same file through a program like Chrome (which does reside on C partition) gets flagged.

Thanks for looking into this Dan. I guess I'll have to live with that for now.
Cool, thank you. Yeah, I totally get what you are saying, and if there was a way that I could fix this safely, then I would ;). There probably is a way, but it is going to take some time to figure out.

The real issue is when a parent executable is trying to open a child executable, especially when the parent executable is a vulnerable web app. That is... if the parent app is simply trying to open a text file to edit it, there is not an issue. For example, VS will allow powershell to edit a non-whitelisted script, but it will not allow it to execute the non-whitelisted script.

This is why in your last Chrome example from above... Windows Explorer will launch 7 zip, and this is because it is whitelisted. But when you have a risky executable web app like Chrome trying to open a child executable, you have to be very careful, otherwise, the end user will end up in tears, as CS would say.

One very simple quick and dirty test that I always perform on VS is to open Internet Explorer... then go to File | Open | Browse | Change the file filter at the bottom right from web documents to all files | then browse to the Windows\System32 folder, and try to open an executable. I usually use cleanmgr.exe, but you can use most all of them. Anyway, after a couple of Internet Explorer prompts, VS will block the file. If VS did not block this file, I would be deeply concerned.

But yeah, blocks can be a pain, but the whole goal of VS is to provide "Absolute" security, while minimizing the dangerous affirmative user prompt as much as possible, and remaining user friendly. But if there is ever a question, the damn thing needs to be blocked.

As we all know, in cyber security, there is a balance between security and usability / convenience. Well, for the most part this is true... VS blocks a hell of a lot of stuff that some PIA products miss. But in general this is true.

Years ago, before I was self employed, I used to work for Lucent Technologies... and everyone had a saying there. "Do what you can afford."

Some cyber security companies actually believe that they can create a product that is totally silent to the end user, and still block every single attack... like it is FM (freakin magic).

And then others pretty much just block everything and call it a day.

There needs to be a balance. The security industry has a strong tendency to blame the user for not being able to utilize their software properly so that they are sufficiently protected. This is absolutely absurd. If, as a software company, you cannot produce software that 50% (guessing on the % from my experiences) or so of the target user base / market does not understand, then you either designed a crappy product, or you are in the wrong business.

End users are not stupid... they just need user friendly security software. For example, teenagers understand social media apps better than any security dev ever will, but yet, somehow we are unable to understand why they are not able to properly use security products.

Sorry for the rambling... all of these thoughts have been on my mind for a while now... along with many, many more ;). Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.