Not open for further replies.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Is it OK after doing this to import settings/whitelist into 4.10, or must we build these again.
It SHOULD be ok to use your previous .db files... but if something goes wrong, just delete them and start over. I think we are almost out of the woods when it comes to deleting the .db files.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Okay, Dan explained to me the behavior I was seeing. I would have needed two cups of coffee at least, to figure it out on my own. Has to do with parent/child permissions, advanced snapshot, and more. All is quiet now on the western front.
Thank you for letting me know about this... I will double check to make sure that all scripts are scanned by the blacklist before they are auto allowed, even if the parent is whitelisted!

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
OK thanks! Just noticed it was up to a full point release at 4.10, so just thought maybe I had missed something!

Reactions: lowdetection

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have the .exe for Android Studio on another disk, let's call him Z:\, I haven't yet installed, VodooShield during snapshot auto-detected it even if I didn't have it installed. :)

I didn't remember something similar in 3.5.9

I also discovered the new fields Threats, Engine and VodooAI, would be nice to have a button to export all those info that VodooShield give us with AI inside a .csv or .xml in future

I see the command lines that before where inside the command lines are now inside the whitelist field, not sure about the command lines voice, for me it's still blank.

Last edited:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Minor bug... :oops:

With each reboot the shield position resets to its default location. Generally, I move it up just slightly so it doesn't overlap with Adguard's browser shield. But VS doesn't remember that position through a reboot even if I uncheck the "Move Shield" menu item.

Which brings to mind 2 shield related questions... 1) why is there a "Move Shield" menu item? Why can't the shield be similar to a desktop "shortcut" that I can drag whenever/wherever I choose, and 2) why the pop-up window when the shield is first moved asking me if I really want to do that? Is that warning necessary?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I see the command lines that before where inside the command lines are now inside the whitelist field, not sure about the command lines voice, for me it's still blank.
Yeah, I also noticed that command lines now show up in whitelist, and the command line field doesn't get populated.
I would like to hear it from the dev's mouth, but here is my guess, for what it's worth:
1 Command lines without embedded code now belong in the whitelist, because the whitelist now incorporates parent process
2 Many command lines are now hardcoded, so you don't see them at all. (Although the dev said he will let the user view them, in a future version of VS, if I remember correctly)

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

With each reboot the shield position resets to its default location. Generally, I move it up just slightly so it doesn't overlap with Adguard's browser shield. But VS doesn't remember that position through a reboot even if I uncheck the "Move Shield" menu item.

Which brings to mind 2 shield related questions... 1) why is there a "Move Shield" menu item? Why can't the shield be similar to a desktop "shortcut" that I can drag whenever/wherever I choose, and 2) why the pop-up window when the shield is first moved asking me if I really want to do that? Is that warning necessary?
I was hoping the shield issue was fixed in 4.10b.

Re '2) why the pop-up window when the shield is first moved asking me if I really want to do that? Is that warning necessary?', I don't think so, I think it can be removed.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017

Hmmm, that is odd... I am guessing that for some reason VS is not saving the position of the shield when then computer is rebooted. I will play around with it and see.

The Move Shield option is so that users do not accidentally move the shield when they click on it (it basically locks it into place)... this kind of puts it in "Move Shield Mode". We can probably remove the prompt, and possibly even remove the "Move Shield Mode"... whatever you guys think is best. Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Yeah, I also noticed that command lines now show up in whitelist, and the command line field doesn't get populated.
I would like to hear it from the dev's mouth, but here is my guess, for what it's worth:
1 Command lines without embedded code now belong in the whitelist, because the whitelist now incorporates parent process
2 Many command lines are now hardcoded, so you don't see them at all. (Although the dev said he will let the user view them, in a future version of VS, if I remember correctly)
Yep, that is exactly what is going on. However, if you guys notice a command line that is not being added to either the whitelist or to command lines, please let me know and I will look into it. Thank you!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hmmm, that is odd... I am guessing that for some reason VS is not saving the position of the shield when then computer is rebooted. I will play around with it and see.

The Move Shield option is so that users do not accidentally move the shield when they click on it (it basically locks it into place)... this kind of puts it in "Move Shield Mode". We can probably remove the prompt, and possibly even remove the "Move Shield Mode"... whatever you guys think is best. Thank you!
Personally I don't use the shield at all. I hide it. I like a clean desktop with minimal distractions.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I like to see the shield as a visual reminder for what mode is active (my taskbar icons are so freaking small). What ever "move option" you disable please at least have one left for users of adguard and so on.

Reactions: danb and codswollip
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.