Not open for further replies.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Real quick... I ran Glary Utilities today to clean up my computer, and then I rebooted... guess what I saw once the computer came up? The VS registration screen ;). So I learned 2 things today so far. 1). The issue is definitely related to cleanup utilities. 2). I need to clean my computer more often.

I do not have time to look through the post right now, but I will asap. It is super easy to change the path of the token file... I mean, I just simply have to type in the new path. I am shocked that cleanup utilities cleanup programdata... that is not exactly a temp folder, right? It is Program Data, right? Obviously I am wrong about this, otherwise they would not all cleanup these folders.

So we just need to change the path. You guys have probably already figured out the best location for the token file, so someone please let me know what you guys came up with and I will change it. I will also make a few other small changes and release 4.10 tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Assuming we can find a good home for the token file. Thank you guys for your help with this!!!

BTW... this should fix the odd desktop shield gadget error as well... when VS goes to the top left of the screen.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Real quick... I ran Glary Utilities today to clean up my computer, and then I rebooted... guess what I saw once the computer came up? The VS registration screen ;). So I learned 2 things today so far. 1). The issue is definitely related to cleanup utilities. 2). I need to clean my computer more often.

I do not have time to look through the post right now, but I will asap. It is super easy to change the path of the token file... I mean, I just simply have to type in the new path. I am shocked that cleanup utilities cleanup programdata... that is not exactly a temp folder, right? It is Program Data, right? Obviously I am wrong about this, otherwise they would not all cleanup these folders.

So we just need to change the path. You guys have probably already figured out the best location for the token file, so someone please let me know what you guys came up with and I will change it. I will also make a few other small changes and release 4.10 tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Assuming we can find a good home for the token file. Thank you guys for your help with this!!!

BTW... this should fix the odd desktop shield gadget error as well... when VS goes to the top left of the screen.
I believe the problem is that the token file is now again in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp
When I exclude that from cleaning, no more registration issues.
I have no token file in progam data (anymore?).

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
I believe the problem is that the token file is now again in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp
When I exclude that from cleaning, no more registration issues.
I have no token file in progam data (anymore?).
Newtonsoft.Json.dll in Program Files folder.
Is this the the token file you looking for in Program Data?

Reactions: lowdetection

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
View attachment 172079 View attachment 172078
Newtonsoft.Json.dll

Is this VodooShield releated?

First time I installed the Beta, the token went inside C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp

it is in voodooshield folder under Program Files.
Capture.PNG

See also
1.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: lowdetection

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
If I move it to ProgramData the shield go up left, so far no big problems with this beta, have one dismhost one time and one rundll32 in two days.

Reactions: milas

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
If I move it to ProgramData the shield go up left, so far no big problems with this beta, have one dismhost one time and one rundll32 in two days.
Not complaining, just troubleshooting and see as far as I can go by error and trials with Re-Registration issue.
Dan say it is probably related to temp files deleting apps.
I'm curious to see how far CCleaner is involved, as so far I got very mixed results and no tweak that permanent fix it.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I didn't have the reregistration, because I wanted test moving the token to ProgramData,
that caused the shield to go up left.

Deletion of the token, cause the reregistration screen.

For me the beta 4.0.9 surclass and of many steps the 3.5.9, because fix one problem I have with VPN. Unless something really against it, beta is the way to go for me. :)

Thanks Dan.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Newtonsoft.Json.dll in Program Files folder.
Is this the the token file you looking for in Program Data?
So there are now 3 places where there could be a token file?
programdata, temp and program files.
Can I delete the one in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp now?

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thank you guys for all of the info and help in figuring this out. I will figure this out, then test to make sure, and then release 4.10 asap... I am hoping later on tonight.

Also, you guys might have experienced a few odd things will VS the last couple of hours. There was an issue with our Azure account, so our web server was shutdown, but it is fixed now.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
What is the "HeyWannaLaugh Test App", sent to VirusTotal? :p

hxQyyDd.png

Working fine now, this problem was going on from at least 8 hours.

pNq6Eow.png

ussouthcentral.services.azureml.net ok now "HTTP/1.1 200 OK"

Before I was getting Error 522, resulting in the VodooAI hanging on everything. :p

Last edited:

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
So we just need to change the path. You guys have probably already figured out the best location for the token file

@danb - I have. You currently put the token in %appdata\temp%, the worst possible place. And it's in every appdata: all the users. Place the token in %AppData\Roaming\VoodooShield%. All these stupid over-hormoned clean-up utilities head straight for temp folders as they have been taught and programmed. But they can be told to leave %Roaming\Voodoshield% alone without compromising hygiene.

And while I'm here, 4.09 is gumming up Win7 like a can of molasses. I've just disabled it with SysInternals AutoRuns and W7 is as snappy as a Format&ReInstall. Maybe full-time consulting VoodooAI in The Cloud is not always appropriate. The problem here is that 90% of my work uses perhaps 5 or 6 apps, and say another 3 or 4 background like DropBox. ZAM and M B A M are purely On-Demand, so they cannot slow the system. When an app has been Whitelisted, consulting the AI should no longer be necessary. FWIW, only my 3 browsers are listed as web-facing, and on my LUA VS is set as Smart(Default) with no RuleSets and no Custom Folders: almost as though I was using VS Free.

Version 4 has many useful innovations, most important is Multi-User with per-user. But if v4 or 5 keeps gumming up the system, I'll have to regress to v3.59.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb - I have. You currently put the token in %appdata\temp%, the worst possible place. And it's in every appdata: all the users. Place the token in %AppData\Roaming\VoodooShield%. All these stupid over-hormoned clean-up utilities head straight for temp folders as they have been taught and programmed. But they can be told to leave %Roaming\Voodoshield% alone without compromising hygiene.

And while I'm here, 4.09 is gumming up Win7 like a can of molasses. I've just disabled it with SysInternals AutoRuns and W7 is as snappy as a Format&ReInstall. Maybe full-time consulting VoodooAI in The Cloud is not always appropriate. The problem here is that 90% of my work uses perhaps 5 or 6 apps, and say another 3 or 4 background like DropBox. ZAM and M B A M are purely On-Demand, so they cannot slow the system. When an app has been Whitelisted, consulting the AI should no longer be necessary. FWIW, only my 3 browsers are listed as web-facing, and on my LUA VS is set as Smart(Default) with no RuleSets and no Custom Folders: almost as though I was using VS Free.

Version 4 has many useful innovations, most important is Multi-User with per-user. But if v4 or 5 keeps gumming up the system, I'll have to regress to v3.59.
I agree, we do not want the token in a place that cleanup utilities clean. The token was originally put in AppData for testing purposes, and it was supposed to be moved to ProgramData a while back... we discussed this in this thread. Now I just need to confirm that it is going stay in ProgramData, and I need to test several cleanup utilities to ensure that they do not remove the token. Thank you!

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
... I need to test several cleanup utilities to ensure that they do not remove the token.

Actually I'd be morbidly interested to see a list of which cleaners hose out Program Data. Program Data should never be on any list of garden sheds for routine cleaning, it's not a place for disposable files. I wonder how many people would be horrified o_O:oops::sick:

Reactions: shmu26

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Actually I'd be morbidly interested to see a list of which cleaners hose out Program Data. Program Data should never be on any list of garden sheds for routine cleaning, it's not a place for disposable files. I wonder how many people would be horrified o_O:oops::sick:

I use CCleaner as some that have been having the register issue. Mine is set to default and I don't have the issue. I also am running latest insider build and no secure folders enabled to stop CC.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Ah ha today I was taking a peek at my programdata, voodooshield folder and the token file was gone. The only thing I had done was exited out of voodooshield to do a install. When I clicked on desktop icon, the registration screen came up but still no token file in voodooshield folder. I will reboot and see if it comes back.

Reactions: simmerskool

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Ok back
On my machine VS is still using the token file located in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp
There never is a token file created in the program data folder. And so I am guessing that at some point while VS was shut down something cleaned that file out of the temp folder, because if I delete the token in the C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp folder while VS is shut down and then try start VS back up, I get the reg screen every time. I don't know why but VS is still operating the token file from the temp file and not the programdata folder.

EDIT:
I just copied the token file to programdata and deleted the on in the appdata folder and still had to rerister and so again mine is working out of the appdata folder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.