Not open for further replies.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hehehe, how funny ;). I actually just now finished VS 4.0, and all that is left to do is to migrate the users from the old database to the new one, so that VS will hopefully register properly for everyone... that is really the only thing I am concerned about. It should go pretty well though, and I should be finished with it sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry that this took a lot long than I initially thought... but I kept adding and tweaking stuff... even Alex was telling me that I needed to wrap it up and release it ;).

There are a few things that I need to let you guys know. The web management console is ready, but Alex had to wait on me to finish up my part before he can implement all of the features. The important thing is that it is up and running... and it will not take him long at all to add all of the new features and settings to the WMC that I added to VS. The better news... my part is done!!!!!! That was a rough 2 or so months, but it was also a heck of a lot of fun. Everything went really well for the most part... especially considering all of the changes that were made. Obviously there will be a few small bugs or adjustments that we will need to make, but overall, VS 4.0 is extremely solid... it has never ran so well.

The only "bad" news is that I completely reworked all of the databases, it is going to be difficult or impossible to migrate settings and whitelists from VS 3.0 to VS 4.0. It might be possible, but it is probably best that everyone start with new databases... they changed significantly. Besides, VS auto trains even faster than before.

Also, the new rules feature turned out well beyond my expectations. I even implemented the feature where you guys can share your rulesets with each other... it will be interesting what all rules that you guys come up with to limit blocks as much as possible, while still remaining secure. The rules feature is centered around Allow Rules... the idea being that we create rules to safely allow as much good stuff as possible, without putting the system at risk. You can also create Block Rules, but they will not be used nearly as much as the Allow Rules.

Anyway, this is just the first implementation of the rules feature... I think we can expand it the concept a lot. The whole idea being that users should be able to design their own custom AV engine, very quickly and easily. I mean, you can write an entire ruleset in the matter of minutes. There are tons of other features and little tweaks that I included as well, but just never got around to implementing them. Finally, a couple of months ago I decided to just go for it... and I am really happy how everything turned out, and hopefully you guys will be too.

Anyway, I am excited for you guys to try it! As soon as I am finished migrating all of the users, I will post VS 4.0... possibly tonight, but if not for sure tomorrow or Monday at the very, very latest. Thank you guys!

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Is this result of the update?
I see,
Download VoodooShield™
Download VoodooShield™ 2.22
2011 :)

I visited the page many times, I didn't remeber there was something with 2.22. I don't know.

I'm waiting for the v4, it's one of the software around one I reshape all security.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Hello Dan,
Can vs has some up to date cloud an instance of vs database?
Also, another question which I asked it already and no one answer :
Let's say some one wants to use vs(free)in the auto pilot mode.
Since it's the free version, you can't touch the settings so these options are already checked:
Automatically allow the whitelisted item in the voodoo AI cloud database.
Automatically allow items that match a digital signature in the whitelisted snap shot.

if a user has Adguard in the white list snapshot that means if smth with Adgaurds dig sing want to run on his/her PC VS will allow it by default lets think it's a digitally signed malware but it has detection rate in the virus total
Will vs block it in auto pilot mode?vs in auto pilot mode consider the settings?or only the detection rate from vt?

Reactions: hamo

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hehehe, how funny ;). I actually just now finished VS 4.0, and all that is left to do is to migrate the users from the old database to the new one, so that VS will hopefully register properly for everyone... that is really the only thing I am concerned about. It should go pretty well though, and I should be finished with it sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry that this took a lot long than I initially thought... but I kept adding and tweaking stuff... even Alex was telling me that I needed to wrap it up and release it ;).

There are a few things that I need to let you guys know. The web management console is ready, but Alex had to wait on me to finish up my part before he can implement all of the features. The important thing is that it is up and running... and it will not take him long at all to add all of the new features and settings to the WMC that I added to VS. The better news... my part is done!!!!!! That was a rough 2 or so months, but it was also a heck of a lot of fun. Everything went really well for the most part... especially considering all of the changes that were made. Obviously there will be a few small bugs or adjustments that we will need to make, but overall, VS 4.0 is extremely solid... it has never ran so well.

The only "bad" news is that I completely reworked all of the databases, it is going to be difficult or impossible to migrate settings and whitelists from VS 3.0 to VS 4.0. It might be possible, but it is probably best that everyone start with new databases... they changed significantly. Besides, VS auto trains even faster than before.

Also, the new rules feature turned out well beyond my expectations. I even implemented the feature where you guys can share your rulesets with each other... it will be interesting what all rules that you guys come up with to limit blocks as much as possible, while still remaining secure. The rules feature is centered around Allow Rules... the idea being that we create rules to safely allow as much good stuff as possible, without putting the system at risk. You can also create Block Rules, but they will not be used nearly as much as the Allow Rules.

Anyway, this is just the first implementation of the rules feature... I think we can expand it the concept a lot. The whole idea being that users should be able to design their own custom AV engine, very quickly and easily. I mean, you can write an entire ruleset in the matter of minutes. There are tons of other features and little tweaks that I included as well, but just never got around to implementing them. Finally, a couple of months ago I decided to just go for it... and I am really happy how everything turned out, and hopefully you guys will be too.

Anyway, I am excited for you guys to try it! As soon as I am finished migrating all of the users, I will post VS 4.0... possibly tonight, but if not for sure tomorrow or Monday at the very, very latest. Thank you guys!
Thanks Dan for keeping us informed. Will try version 4.0 as soon as it is available.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Hi Dan

I have what may be a stupid question.

I don't understand the point of needing rules and an editor

It's been my experience with VS on a desktop that after I do an allow, it just sits quietly and leaves me alone. That's perfect. On the other hand in a VM running malware by it, it blocked absolutely everything, again perfect. So why do I need to edit rules?

Thanks and also looking forward to giving it a run.

Pete

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@Peter2150, there are certain stubborn programs that resist being whitelisted, or have updaters that are repeat offenders at throwing useless prompts. I for one would welcome a rule maker with which to bang these programs over the head.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Can you give me examples of problem stuff. I would like to test, as I haven't seen this.
HP officejet, if you were foolish enough to buy one. The drivers are confusing to VS.

Another one is Chrome update. It will throw a prompt, and recommend for it to be allowed. But the prompt is a bit unnecessary.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Can you give me examples of problem stuff. I would like to test, as I haven't seen this.
Just look through the VS thread on Wilders, and see what people are complaining about. That is the richest source.

Reactions: lowdetection

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
For Chrome I need to allow software update reporter on random basis, I would like to know the technical reason.
I am sure will be fixed.
Another thing I noted is that if I disable VodooShield, I will obtain more than one Windows saying enable protection yes or no, and have to click yes or no 2-3 times depending on the time disable, one Windows only could be enough.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For Chrome I need to allow software update reporter on random basis, I would like to know the technical reason.
A process gets spawned in user space, in a suspicious location. So that generates a prompt. I am assuming that VoodooShield version 4, because it will allow the user to make rules, will be able to get rid of that little annoyance.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
HP officejet, if you were foolish enough to buy one. The drivers are confusing to VS.

Another one is Chrome update. It will throw a prompt, and recommend for it to be allowed. But the prompt is a bit unnecessary.

Well I agree about officejet, but I have a laserjet and the software hasn't been a problem. Also fraind I won't put anything chrome on my system. But I also wonder if it has anything to do with my still running Windows 7

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Yes, this is a bit of a pain, but solvable. This one appears under "command lines". Just compare the various entries for SUR and replace the unique section with wildcard "*". For example:
Code:
"c:\users\boomchakalaka\appdata\local\google\chrome\user data\swreporter\*\software_reporter_tool.exe" --session-id=*

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Here is VS 4.0 beta! Once again, sorry it took so long… if you knew what all was involved, you would completely understand. There are still a few small things that I need to adjust in the next day or two, but they are just very small issues.

The only thing I am worried about is the registration. I have tested it on my end with several computers, and it seems to be working correctly, but who knows what can happen, with firewalls and what not.

www.voodooshield.com/Download/beta4/InstallVoodooShield40beta.exe

BTW, some of the file / process info in Settings / Whitelist and User Log that appears to be missing, is not really missing. I will explain this in further detail later if you guys need me to, but I think you guys will know what I mean.

If you have any problems, please let me know. Otherwise, I am going to step away from the computer for as long as possible, and I will catch up on posts and pms I missed asap, thank you guys!

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
As far as the rules are concerned… this is the reason why they are vital.

Traditional application whitelisting utilities, for the most part, have an if then statement similar to this pseudocode…

If the blockedProcess is not on the whitelist then

blockProcess = true

End If

VS has around 50 or so (I have not counted) hard coded rules that I have written over the last few years, that automatically allow safe items that should not be blocked… here is a pseudocode example…

If VoodooShield is on AutoPilot and the blockedProcessParent is on the whitelist

If the blockedProcess VoodooAi < .3333 and the blockedProcess BlacklistScan < 3 then

blockProcess = false

End If

End If

The reason these items should not be blocked is simple… the average user should not be burdened with dangerous and unnecessary affirmative user prompts. Not only are user prompts annoying, but they are dangerous. Your security software can only cry wolf so many times before the end user automatically clicks the allow button.

VS does a great job of auto allowing safe items using its hard coded rules, but we need to do even more to reduce dangerous affirmative user prompts. User prompts do not bother security enthusiasts or professionals… but believe me, the average end user cannot stand them. I swear, most average users will uninstall VS, or any deny by default software, after only a couple of blocks.

There is only one way that deny by default solutions will ever reach the masses. Believe me, I know, I have worked directly with thousands of end users since 1999, and I know their squeal point. I see them in person, or hear them on the phone when they say “VoodooShield blocked…” and they sound incredibly frustrated.

So the whole point of the rules wizard is to take these rules one step further, and allow as many safe items as possible for the end user. The really cool thing is that we can add all of the rules to the default ruleset, so it will be completely seamless to the end user. And if the end user wants to choose one of the other community rulesets… perhaps one that is more aggressive, then they can do that as well.

As I was saying, this is just the first implementation of the new rules wizard feature. Even in its current state, it is highly flexible and granular, but we will develop this feature even more over the next few months and add several more parameters, so it will become even more flexible.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Here is VS 4.0 beta! Once again, sorry it took so long… if you knew what all was involved, you would completely understand. There are still a few small things that I need to adjust in the next day or two, but they are just very small issues.

The only thing I am worried about is the registration. I have tested it on my end with several computers, and it seems to be working correctly, but who knows what can happen, with firewalls and what not.

BTW, some of the file / process info in Settings / Whitelist and User Log that appears to be missing, is not really missing. I will explain this in further detail later if you guys need me to, but I think you guys will know what I mean.

If you have any problems, please let me know. Otherwise, I am going to step away from the computer for as long as possible, and I will catch up on posts and pms I missed asap, thank you guys!
Thanks, Dan!
So should certain VS data files be deleted, before installing this, if VS was on the system before? Or the old, obsolete rules will be automatically ignored?

Antarctica

Level 1
Aug 20, 2017

Yeah, absolutely correct. I had a Officejet and it drove me crazy. I end up getting rid of it because it ask me every time

Thanks Dan,

This is fantastic news,I will try it asap:)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017

Hooah! Welcome back @danb ! Keep up your great work. I always recommend voodooshield to everyone who I know. I don't think there is a single system that I don't touch that doesn't have voodooshield before I leave it. haha No joke! Outside my corporate office, everyone that I work with to help them security wise usually ends up buying your software or using the free version. Please continue working hard to provide such a great security solution. You deserve so many awards! :D

Sincerely,

Lightning_Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.