VoodooShield Latest

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I know this is an old post.. but I have this issue too. When I start my cpu I get a popup stating 4.71 is available and I click to download it but nothing happens. Do I just need to download the .exe from the main website?

Please report this issue to VoodooShield. If he doesn't know about it he can't investigate it. It's very simple to do.

I hear sporadic reports of this type and when asked, people say they haven't reported the issue. I don't get it. :unsure:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's 5.0 from Dan for all of your Voodoo pleasure!

"Hey everyone, sorry I have been away, things have been crazy.

Here is the latest version of VS. It should be ready for public release, but if you guys find anything we need to change or fix, please let me know!

www.voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield500.exe
SHA256: a9e27a98ab5787b5fa8fa2044d063312846b0cd02ef361ed61c71a4715d64c40

Thank you guys, talk to you soon!"

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Here's 5.0 from Dan for all of your Voodoo pleasure!

"Hey everyone, sorry I have been away, things have been crazy.

Here is the latest version of VS. It should be ready for public release, but if you guys find anything we need to change or fix, please let me know!

www.voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield500.exe
SHA256: a9e27a98ab5787b5fa8fa2044d063312846b0cd02ef361ed61c71a4715d64c40

Thank you guys, talk to you soon!"
Yesterday I tried version 499beta2, and it seemed that some of my applications were launching with a significant delay. Anyone else have this issue?
I didn't test it for very long, but it also seemed to forget my manual whitelist rules.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yesterday I tried version 499beta2, and it seemed that some of my applications were launching with a significant delay. Anyone else have this issue?
I didn't test it for very long, but it also seemed to forget my manual whitelist rules.

Nope. Everything's snappy over here. Why not get 5.0 and take it for a test drive? Maybe clean install or take an advanced snapshot?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Why not get 5.0 and take it for a test drive? Maybe clean install or take an advanced snapshot?
I got 5.0 and took an advanced snapshot. Default recommended settings. Everything is very snappy this time. It's like night and day. I suspect that my custom settings messed things up. For instance, I have my Downloads folder on my data partition (so I don't lose my downloaded files every time I restore a system image), so I had enabled Voodooshield Custom Folders and messed around in there. Maybe that was the problem? I also had enabled "Use individual settings for each user."

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Glad it worked out for you. I'll be interested in hearing your feedback on this version once you've run it for a while. (y)

BTW: I guess Dan wasn't ready to implement a new GUI design he expected to ship with 5.0. No big deal for me anyway.

using 5.00 when I do a VS right click file scan the VS window that pops up is bigger, but looks like same design +/- ...

Reactions: oldschool

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I installed 5 over the top as we say but I noticed a large increase in C:\ size, so I uninstalled VS fully & did a clean install & all is well, clean installs are usually the best way anyway - Not sure what happened there though, no sys restore running or similar? I do get a little concerned about fresh installs lest the licencing system gets upset but all OK, great program!

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
For you licencing question just login on the voodooshield website and you can manage your license there with a few clicks. Realy easy :)
Thanks for that, weirdly as it's a sort things out day I renewed my sub as it expired in a few days to VS & now have a new shiny name/password, though I've paid in the past my last one was a Giveaway, which was actually fully honored throughout the time-frame, hence my reluctance to fresh install, but thanks for that info, helpful! :)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's a post from Dan a couple of days ago @ CO. It may be helpful to anyone new to, or unfamiliar with, VoodooShield:

Quote from: Shmu26 on May 24, 2019, 09:46:42 am
Thanks to all who replied to my question about Smart mode and toggling.

Dan, I understand that you recommend Smart mode, so maybe you could spell out the advantages of the toggle approach, as opposed to the always-on approach? It sounds like most users, including myself, can't see the practical difference.

"Hey, a new thread! Sure, when VS toggles to OFF, it automatically builds the tiny, customized whitelist for the user. VS also toggles to OFF after 10 minutes of user inactivity. If you were to reset your whitelist and put VS in Smart Mode, you would probably be surprised how many items are automatically added to the whitelist that would normally be blocked by traditional application whitelisting. After a few days it probably does not make that big of a difference, especially if you are like 95%+ users who hardly ever install new software.

The whole goal of VS is to reduce the frequency of unwanted and unnecessary user prompts as much as possible, and to automatically build the tiny, customized whitelist for the end user, and to keep the whitelist as small as possible.

Besides toggling, the other option would be to scan and whitelist the entire hard drive after initially installing VS. This is okay, but obviously a whitelist that only contains 200-500 items is probably going to be more secure than a whitelist that contains tens of thousands of items.

But most importantly, the toggling provides VS the ability to create the most secure and robust lock possible, without significantly increasing the frequency of unnecessary user prompts. This is what I refer to as dynamic security postures, and it is the toggling that provides dynamic security postures.

For example... take your favorite traditional or next-gen security software. How cool would it be if the baseline protection was in place full time, then when the user is engaging in risky activities (browsing the web, checking email, etc.), your favorite security software dynamically switches to a heightened security posture? Security products have come a very long way the last few years, and there are some amazing products on the market, but it is extremely difficult for them to detect all malware AND have zero false positives if they only offer one static security posture full time.

Changing security postures on the fly is really what VS is all about."

L

Local Host

Even though I like VoodooShield is consistent in causing issues with Windows 10 Upgrades, I let people running Kaspersky alone instead (as it never caused issues with any Upgrades).
Don't forget to let your buddies know if you see any practical difference. I'm not betting on it. :)
I agree, shouldn't be much of a difference in terms of usability. But a smaller Whitelist can be safer like he said.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I let people running Kaspersky alone instead (as it never caused issues with any Upgrades).
A couple years ago KIS had a known bug that it prevented automatic Windows updates on certain systems (it happened to me). It took them months to fix the bug. The actual updates worked okay, but Windows did not know that an update was available.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.