VoodooShield Latest

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I generally leave emotion out of discussion. Once someone becomes emotionally invested in these discussions it's bound to sour. Everyone has opinions and we can learn a lot by observing peoples opinions without getting emotionally involved.

Also trolls are well adept at leveraging discussions to their advantage if emotional attachment is evident. If it isn't evident a troll usually moves on or gets distracted by those that are emotional. Much success in life can be achieved by having an emotional detachment to things that aren't important to your existence.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If I had created VS I would be very proud of it, and understandably, or to follow ForgottenSeer 58943's description, emotionally invested, even Dan said I was full of s--t when I said this before but it isn't rocket science, it is his creation, like a child, if you attack it he will defend it ferociously, maybe even irrationally, you would too, basic stuff ?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
xx.gif

Re: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread
« Reply #1154 on: Today at 05:47:45 pm »

A lot of people think of VS as just another application whitelisting utility... and that aspect of VS would be absolutely true if all VS did was whitelist based on hash, and possibly path or file size. One of the many things that sets VS apart from other application whitelisting utilities is that it has many, many attribute checks on the whitelist... and one of the most important and easy to explain is the parent process check.

For example, cmd or powershell has the ability to be good or bad... and it all depends on the context of the item. And this is pretty much true with any process / executable, especially ones that are abused and vulnerable. So the reason you have several different items listed in the whitelist for the same process is because VS is simply whitelisting the context of each user action, so that it can later perform parent process path comparison when the item is later launched. As an example, you might want to manually launch cmd.exe, but you certainly do not want Chrome to launch it without your permission
wink.gif

Simply classifying individual files as good or bad, and adding the "good" ones to the whitelist, makes little sense to me, especially when (at least in theory), every file is vulnerable. VS considers the entire context of the user action to determine whether to allow the item or not.

VS 3.0 was quite robust, but VS 4.0 is even more secure, and this is one of the reasons why. So when someone says "Product X already has a whitelisting feature, so you do not need VS", they are simply unaware of VS's advanced features. It is partially my fault because I do not publish our entire playbook. This is particularity true when Product X's whitelisting feature is largely cloud based (I could write another book on this).

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Re: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread
« Reply #1189 on: Today at 06:09:19 am »

Sorry about that... I was playing around with the update to fix it once and for all. It will be working correctly on the next version.

BTW, giveawayoftheday.com is hosting a VS giveaway this Friday, so if anyone wants a free 1 year license here is a link.

Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily

Thank you guys, I will catch up soon, have a great weekend!

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Solarquest @BryanB

Dan explained it here:

"Oops, sorry, I should clarify. 4.67 is the same as 4.68... I just had to create a special version for the giveaway so that it only accepted a product key, and not an email address. This is so users would not be confused.

I will release 4.69 in a few days and it will unify all of the versions and we will be on the right track. But yeah, 4.67 is the same as 4.68 otherwise..."

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Any settings you recommend to change in the registered version?
Disable "Automatically allow by parent process" in Advanced under Anti-Exploit settings.

I also disable automatically allowing whitelisted items/approved command lines in the VoodooAI Cloud Database as I don't have confidence in VoodooAI to not produce false negatives. This one's probably just my paranoia but as there's zero information as to how whitelisted items/command lines are approved for entry into the database (automated analysis/approval or human analysis/approval), I'm unable to put any trust in it.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Disable "Automatically allow by parent process" in Advanced under Anti-Exploit settings.

I also disable automatically allowing whitelisted items/approved command lines in the VoodooAI Cloud Database as I don't have confidence in VoodooAI to not produce false negatives. This one's probably just my paranoia but as there's zero information as to how whitelisted items/command lines are approved for entry into said database (automated analysis/approval or human analysis/approval), I'm unable to put any trust in it.
So you don't use firefox or Chrome or any of the other programs listed in the box? I was advised to dissable that option if you are using any of the programs listed. Just wondering why you dissable it?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
So you don't use firefox or Chrome or any of the other programs listed in the box? I was advised to dissable that option if you are using any of the programs listed. Just wondering why you dissable it?
I'm assuming you mean the parent process option? If you leave it enabled and you've got an application that isn't on the Vulnerable Protected Applications list (and you haven't added it to the list), if said application gets exploited then any child process it spawns will be allowed to run without prompting the user unless it's got a high VoodooAI score (50+) or a VirusTotal detection.

It's just a precaution honestly and you can add all internet-facing applications to the list to prevent this if you'd rather not disable the option. I'd rather just be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I'm assuming you mean the parent process option? If you leave it enabled and you've got an application that isn't on the Vulnerable Protected Applications list (and you haven't added it to the list), if said application gets exploited then any child process it spawns will be allowed to run without prompting the user unless it's got a high VoodooAI score (50+) or a VirusTotal detection.
I see what you are saying but the list in the box does not include all processes VS guards against. That is where I get confused about that option.
If you read the paraghaph to the right of the box, you see not everything protected is listed.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If you read the paraghaph to the right of the box, you see not everything protected is listed.
That's referring to Windows components only. The only third-party applications it protects are what's included on that list; you have to manually add any unlisted vulnerable applications yourself.

Ultimately, disabling the setting is just a precaution. Almost everything that's commonly exploited is already on the list so if you'd rather keep it enabled then it's nothing to fret over.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

That's referring to Windows components only. The only third-party applications it protects are what's included on that list; you have to manually add any unlisted vulnerable applications yourself.

Ultimately, disabling the setting is just a precaution. Almost everything that's commonly exploited is already on the list so if you'd rather keep it enabled then it's nothing to fret over.
Got ya but since I run Appguard with extra setting I will leave it enabled but thanks anyway.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Precisely. Also, anyone new to VS should know that disabling that setting will generate more prompts - not a problem if you know what you're running.

I hope all new Pro users enjoy exploring its features! (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.