Watchdog Anti-Malware 4 released (based on Zemana)

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Feel free to do that please, and your feedback is more than welcome. In case you need a premium key, please do PM me and I'll hook you up.

Premium or licensed version includes real-time protection. We keep improving it day by day!

No worries, I'll give you a PM right now.
Test scheduled this Sunday 😉

Watchdog

From Watchdog
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 7, 2021
@Watchdog what about Panda after the acquisition? Do you keep their engine or will replace it with your new own engine? It's to quiet there...
Hi @amico81

Panda was much known for their EDR solution which is the very best value Panda had for the M&A by WatchGuard. We're not using their engine in our cloud but if we were set on the path to using it, we would use the version with the highest detection ratio and optimization results, nevertheless the vendor.

Reactions: Nevi and Shadowra

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hello @Mops21 ,

Thank you for your questions and please see the answers below:

1. As I explained in the 1st post, our old products were much dependent on 3rd party software. Since last year, we decided to restart the development process. We intentionally kept UI similarities to be consistent with the old products however Watchdog Antimalware 4.0 is not a white label.

2. Yes, we have a plan to place our own AV engine on VirusTotal. We don't want to spoil the surprise but we are working on releasing our own Anti-Virus solution. Currently, Watchdog Anti-Virus is in its alpha phase we plan to have it ready for "beta" testing in a couple of months, but that's another topic.

3. Currently available: Dutch, English, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish

4. We didn't implement Changelogs, in order to save time and to act fast we made a rudimentary product with 3 things in mind: work fast, light on resources, simple and effective. Our goal with WAM 4.0 is to win back the old users and to continue expanding into the market.

5. We don't want to jinx it but we have a simple product roadmap: Release a rudimentary AV > improvements > features and functionalities development > multi-platform > multi-modular > improvements, improvements, improvements! (We will need your help to make it happen and to make it better!)

Hope I was able to answer your questions,
✌️

Hi @Watchdog

Thank you very much for your answers and infos

Also will you have 2 prtoducts into the Future

Watchdog Antimalware and Watchdog Antivirus right

Will the boths programs a cloud based or will it have a local scan engine

I think I will test the Watchdog Antimalware soon

With best Regards
Mops21

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

Watchdog

From Watchdog
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 7, 2021
Hi @Watchdog

Thank you very much for your answers and infos

Also will you have 2 prtoducts into the Future

Watchdog Antimalware and Watchdog Antivirus right

Will the boths programs a cloud based or will it have a local scan engine

I think I will test the Watchdog Antimalware soon

With best Regards
Mops21

You're most welcome @Mops21

As for the product portfolio, atm we have Watchdog Anti-malware, Watchdog Mobile Security, and soon we will have Watchdog Anti-Virus.
We will need to address the Mobile app after the Anti-Virus as it remained undeveloped. We do plan to have more products in the future but let's take it step-by-step, we don't want to make any promises and not to deliver after.

Watchdog Anti-Malware is cloud-based but our Watchdog Anti-Virus will be local (it will have additional features though)

Please feel free to test it and let me know how bad it was ;) We still need to make a lot of improvements.

Cheers

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hi @amico81

Panda was much known for their EDR solution which is the very best value Panda had for the M&A by WatchGuard. We're not using their engine in our cloud but if we were set on the path to using it, we would use the version with the highest detection ratio and optimization results, nevertheless the vendor.

I don't really understand, is there a buyout by Panda in progress?

Reactions: Nevi

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't really understand, is there a buyout by Panda in progress?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hey @dinosaur07 ,
Thank you for the question, I may not be the best person to answer it but I'll try to give the simplest explanation about this.
Please, don't bust my balls if it's not in too many technical details. I am not a technical person but I am getting to be aware of MT's importance for AM products. Atm, our developers are too busy with already mentioned development on WAV but I am confident they will be joining this conversation when the time is right:

Now back to AM engine. In the essence, we developed our own AV engine and we optimized it to be working in our Scan-Cloud. We do have the ability to add more engines in the cloud but we keep that as a secondary option in case of our engine failure. So far we didn't have to use other engines and we're still heavily relying on our own engine atm which forces us to work on constant improvements.

More on this topic will follow after the release of our Anti-Virus solution, and I'll make sure that answers on this topic are provided by someone from the development team.

P.S: PM me if I forget to make that happen!

Thanks in advance for understanding.
✌️
It’s a pleasure seeing the devs here I will certainly look forward to see how the product develops

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Aren’t watch dog and watch guard separate companies ?
If so it’s like saying Coca Cola and Pepsi are the same company

Or I got it wrong
Anyway I would be happy for sources to know more about these two

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Watchdog Anti-Malware is cloud-based but our Watchdog Anti-Virus will be local (it will have additional features though)
Why cloud based AntiMalware and local signatures Antivirus? Seems strange consideting you just bought a cloud based antivirus.

Reactions: Nevi

Popolitus

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2014
probably because they want a local engine, and a cloud one...so they are developing 2...,
Maybe u can elaborate a little more your question...

Also believe that since they also have business version, usually some business have offline machines, and prefer a av with a local database, just like symantec endpoint, u have the 2 options, cloud or local engine for example

Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
@marciocruz just provided the answer for us (y)
Nope, he did not!

Why ANTIMALWARE in the cloud, and VIRUSDEFINITIONS localy. Was that specific enough, if not, here is another way to put it.
Why not virus in the cloud and malware localy?

How have you reasoned when you came to YOUR conclusion of action?
You cant get away now ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Watchdog

Watchdog

From Watchdog
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 7, 2021
Nope, he did not!

Why ANTIMALWARE in the cloud, and VIRUSDEFINITIONS localy. Was that specific enough, if not, here is another way to put it.
Why not virus in the cloud and malware localy?

How have you reasoned when you came to YOUR conclusion of action?
You cant get away now ;)
Anti-Malware (AM) solution is cloud-based, meaning that it relies on a cloud-scan feature. The cloud-scan is powered by (1 or more) Anti-Virus engines, meaning all virus definitions are stored in the cloud, not locally (on users PC as normal AV does).

For proper AM functionality absolute requirement is internet connection! No internet connection no proper functionality.

AV solution, however, when installed usually downloads DB with virus-definitions along with other hybrid db's that allow AV full functionality in offline environments.

The AM, by nature, is lighter on resource consumption than AV. However, because AM requires online connection, AV is better when it comes to constant protection (both offline and online).

That's why AM solutions are generally an add-on or second-layer protection, used as a enhanced protection measurement to an already AV protected system.

We want to be able to offer both (offline and online) protection to the users. The users who already have a different AV installed can use our WAM as an add-on. There are users who demand to use our AV as main security/protection solution so we want provide them this ability to.

And as @marciocruz has already mentioned, in order to tap into SMB and Enterprise users, you have to meet the demand for AV (working in offline enviroments).

Hope this answers your question

Cheers

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Anti-Malware (AM) solution is cloud-based, meaning that it relies on a cloud-scan feature. The cloud-scan is powered by (1 or more) Anti-Virus engines, meaning all virus definitions are stored in the cloud, not locally (on users PC as normal AV does).

For proper AM functionality absolute requirement is internet connection! No internet connection no proper functionality.

AV solution, however, when installed usually downloads DB with virus-definitions along with other hybrid db's that allow AV full functionality in offline environments.

The AM, by nature, is lighter on resource consumption than AV. However, because AM requires online connection, AV is better when it comes to constant protection (both offline and online).

That's why AM solutions are generally an add-on or second-layer protection, used as a enhanced protection measurement to an already AV protected system.

We want to be able to offer both (offline and online) protection to the users. The users who already have a different AV installed can use our WAM as an add-on. There are users who demand to use our AV as main security/protection solution so we want provide them this ability to.

And as @marciocruz has already mentioned, in order to tap into SMB and Enterprise users, you have to meet the demand for AV (working in offline enviroments).

Hope this answers your question

Cheers

Do you plan to implement some sort of behavioral protection in Watchdog?

If you want a translation to swedish, Pm.

Reactions: Watchdog

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.