Webroot or Kaspersky.....Trying to decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

I like Kaspersky's protection but not only is webroot light they seem to constantly improve it

I'm using Win 10 right now if that helps...any suggestions appreciated

For everyday, typical, reasonably safe surf habits both are fine, but Kaspersky has many more protection modules than Webroot.

Webroot's firewall controls do not function on W10 because of the way Microsoft designed Windows firewall starting with W8; the issue is not Webroot but Microsoft. Webroot has not come up with a solution since late 2012 - and they will never be able to find a solution - until Microsoft changes Windows firewall. It's really not something to get too bent out of shape about since Webroot essentially integrates with Windows firewall - it just can't do it fully on W8 thru W10. NOTE: Webroot doesn't tell users any of this; the user has to discover it for themselves after installing WSA = it's under-handed.

If you have desktop, then Kaspersky.

If you have laptop, then Webroot for better power consumption.

For best optimal results you might want to take a look at Emsisoft Internet Security.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I went with Webroot myself this week while it was on sale, but it already seems a little 'twitchy' and counter-intuitive to me sometimes. Upgraded both machines to Win 10 today too just in time to see hjlbx warn us about their unfixable and unmentioned Win 10 firewall problems - doh!

Ah well, I am sure other AV/malware solutions will be on sale over Xmas. Webroot's not bad, I kind of like it, but it tends to do too much on its own for my liking.

The 'uninterrupted protection' (aka auto-renewal at more than sale prices when your license expires unless you somehow find out you have to opt OUT or be charged merrily a year down the line) really burns me. I find that even more underhanded than the W10 firewall quiet fail =(

Maybe I'll check out their return policies... I like the concept of how webroot works, but their business practices are setting off warning bells post-purchase.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Big point in Webroot's favour that I just noticed, they have a 70 day return policy. That is very generous in this day and age. That makes me like them more again =)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its like you are comparing a height of a person here + the capabilities.

Kaspersky is considered one of the big boys and established a firm security program with enormous combination techniques to balance the traditional concept. Its a matter of tweak to meet it up.

Meanwhile Webroot is design to be neat yet solid protection at all, thus contains minimal footprint impact to your system.

Tominator

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 16, 2015
I got mine for 9.99 on amazon so I don't have to worry about auto renewal....

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

I like Kaspersky's protection but not only is webroot light they seem to constantly improve it

I'm using Win 10 right now if that helps...any suggestions appreciated
Kaspersky would definitely give you better protection but is quite heavy on the system, however Webroot is very light but not as effective, both are good programs but personally I would choose the one you need most :)

Rajat

Level 2
Verified
Oct 20, 2015
Kaspersky 2016 always. Certainly provides better protection than Webroot. Their new version is Light as well.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I think Kaspersky still has free 30 day trials, or so this list of free trial versions of AVs at antivirus4u shows: Best Antivirus 2016 Free Download/Trial version

I did trial Webroot for about a week before buying it so have been using it for about 2 weeks now as my main protection, sometimes by itself, sometimes with Malwarebytes AntiExploit Free and lately with HitmanPro.alert 30 day trial. I also run Emsisoft Emergency kit, Herdprotect, MBAM Pro (on demand scanning only, I want to see how Webroot's auto-protection fares alone) to make sure stuff isn't creeping in. I have found videobull.to a great testing ground for AV and AM products, those links through adf.ly are brutal for trying to inject crap.

I used to swear by Eset AV, and still think it's a great product (robust, light on the system and dependable), but at one point I built a new PC for my wife and no matter what I tried Eset gave me startup problems where the machine would hang. Format/reinstall several times and messed around with it for months before finally just giving up and removing Eset and running AVG/Avast free until I just settled with MSE. This was a Windows 7 64 bit box until yesterday (now 10). It was only after reading around this forum that MSE was not that helpful I started exploring alternatives again and gave Webroot a shot.

Long-winded story but the moral is always try an AV or AM product for free if you can, as it may run perfectly for everyone except YOU.

I'd still be running Eset on my machine (had no problems) but ti's easier for me to keep both machines similarly configured so that it's easier for me to maintain. She's a happy clicker and I love that about her. She's learned to never open an .exe file, but they can be so devious about hiding them and that's just the simplest security problem right there. I also have my 77 year old father running Eset Smart Security for probably the last decade because it works for him and I don't get phone calls every few months asking why he's getting messages popping up to send money to Russia/China/India/wherever to fix his computer =)

Personally (and for now - things change) I think I have settled on Webroot supplemented by Malwarebytes Antiexploit Free and Adguard for windows (can't say enough good things about that software now). I want simple, fast and unobtrusive protection that I can double-check every week or two with a MBAM Pro/EEK scan to be reasonably sure that nothing is slipping in.

If I see Kaspersky for a really good deal (available to Canadians, most US deals don't work) I might give it a shot, but I am pretty happy with Webroot right now after opting out of their autorenewal scheme.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Kaspersky is definitely one of the most "serious" paid antivirus companies out there right now.
Webroot is still on the "amateur" league but still stands as a capable security product.

Kaspersky offers a much, much greater diversity of security modules (security features) than Webroot does.
Webroot has a much smaller memory footprint than Kaspersky, yet manages to provide a more than basic level of security for average users.

Kaspersky is rather expensive, yet Webroot is not as expensive (you should have found that out by yourself by now).

Webroot of course can be complemented by other compatible security software (e.g. COMODO Firewall), however if users start adding multiple security applications then the whole situation gets quite complex, both in terms of conflicts and in terms of resource usage.

In the end, it all depends. For a more extended (not necessarily more powerful), in other words for a protection against a wider range of threats (from specialized exploits to rootkits) should consider Kaspersky. (very risky computing habits)
Webroot offers more average and much lighter protection for your system. More responsive and much more usable. (safe-medium computing habits)

Let us know when you make your choice. Lastly, do note that there are other alternatives to both Kaspersky and Webroot, which may combine both extreme protection and limited resource usage. :p

Reactions: Rishi

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
If you like webroot you can still complement it with a firewall, good antimalware (Malwarebytes) and second and third opinion on demand scanners,a secure browser profile with addons,updated OS, software and plugins,regular system backup, and anti exploit(e.g.- Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit by Microsoft) and safe browsing habits.
If you like Kaspersky you must still try and follow the above without straining the resources.
It all boils down to the size of your pocket,amount of resources, preference and individual internet hygiene.
Good luck

Reactions: Behold Eck

Tominator

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 16, 2015
I'm now using WSA password manager along with Kaspersky anti Virus...got Kaspersky 2016 on Amazon 4.99.....I don't know if running the whole WSA security if it would mess up things

Reactions: Hangtooth

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
You could move the passwords into a free web service like LastPass if you like Kaspersky and not worry about any incompatibilities.

Plus, do you want to keep paying a Webroot subscription just to store passwords? =)

Tominator

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 16, 2015
Webroot doesn't have my payment info......I deleted webroot which i got cheap from Amazon but the password manager stayed

Reactions: Hangtooth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.