Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Mozilla to release Firefox 78 for Windows, Mac, and Linux today on June 30, 2020, and is also the Extended Support Release (ESR). Here are the new features, improvements, and changes this version is bringing to the table.

Highlights
  • Firefox 78 is last Firefox version to support macOS 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11
  • Offers the refresh button in the Uninstaller.
  • WebRender is now enabled by default on Intel desktops and laptops
  • New “close Mulitple Tabs” submenu now holds the tab closing options
  • Disabled TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 to improve your website connections. Sites that don’t support TLS version 1.2 will now show an error page.
Other changes not mentioned in the release notes are:

Release notes
  • The Protections Dashboard includes consolidated reports about tracking protection, data breaches, and password management. New features let you:
    • Track how many breaches you’ve resolved right from the dashboard
    • See if any of your saved passwords may have been exposed in a data breach
  • To view your dashboard, type about: protections into the address bar, or select “Protections Dashboard” from the main menu.
  • Because we know people try to fix problems by reinstalling Firefox when a simple refresh is more likely to solve the issue, we’ve added a Refresh button to the Uninstaller.
  • With this release, your screen saver will no longer interrupt WebRTC calls on Firefox, making conference and video calling in Firefox better.
  • We’ve rolled out WebRender to Windows users with Intel GPUs, bringing improved graphics performance to an even larger audience.
  • Firefox 78 is also our Extended Support Release (ESR), where the changes made over the course of the previous 10 releases will now roll out to our ESR users. Some of the highlights are:
    • Kiosk mode
    • Client certificates
    • Service Worker and Push APIs are now enabled
    • The Block Autoplay feature is enabled
    • Picture-in-picture support
    • View and manage web certificates in about:certificate
  • Pocket recommendations, featuring some of the best stories on the web, will now appear on the Firefox new tab for 100% of our users in the UK. If you don’t see them, you can turn on Pocket articles in your new tab, follow these steps.
Fixed
  • Various security fixes.
  • We fixed bugs in the search results quality composition and improved search result texts based on recommendations by our partners.

Changed
  • The minimal system requirements on Linux have been updated. Firefox now needs GNU libc 2.17, libstdc++ 4.8.1 and GTK+ 3.14 or newer versions.
  • As part of our ongoing effort to deprecate obsolete cryptography, we have disabled all remaining DHE-based TLS ciphersuites by default.
    • To mitigate web compatibility issues from disabling DHE-based TLS ciphersuites, Firefox 78 enables two more AES-GCM SHA2-based ciphersuites.
  • Firefox 78 is the last major release with support for macOS versions 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11. Users of these macOS versions will be supported through Firefox ESR 78.x for the coming year.
  • We have disabled TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 to improve your website connections. Sites that don’t support TLS version 1.2 will now show an error page.
  • The context menu (accessed by right clicking on a tab) lets you undo multiple tab closings with a single click and places Close Tabs to the Right and Close Other Tabs in a submenu.

Read more below:

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Can users fill-forms with Firefox PDF.js?
Firefox PDF Viewer comes with following features
  • Supports printing
  • It allows you to download PDF files to save to your computer.
  • Offers Presentation or fullscreen mode
  • Display PDF document thumbnails or outlines or attachments in the sidebar.
The PDF.Js is constantly updated by Mozilla with improvements, bug fixes, and new features.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I've just updated my Firefox Tweaker to version 2.4.2 to support Firefox 78 with new method to turn off stupid new oversized URL bar.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Https everywhere is redundant since about:config ''https only mode'' will let you to insecure pages in latest firefox stable

Picture of blocking access to insecure page wich doesn not support https, but still giving me access to decide if i want to enter or not
httpseverywhereredundant.png

Usually mixed images wont upgrade to https while using https everywhere in forced mode, but with the firefox https only mode they do upgrade, i dont know if this means anything special or not

mixedimages.png

Lastly, since firefox has built in DOH settings, you can set up router to support adguard family filter and set up firefox to have non- family filter

familyfilter123.png

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I have a setting in my Firefox Tweaker that upgrades non secure resources to HTTPS if located on HTTPS parent page. But sometimes they don't upgrade and then they don't even show up. I've had some issues with certain newsletters just not showing up when viewing in my Protonmail inbox. So it's a very hit and miss thing. Where HTTPS Everywhere just makes sure pages that work well in HTTPS are always viewed in HTTPS. All without bugging the user about it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.