Serious Discussion What are reputable antivirus products with the least performance impact?

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Like really low cpu and hard disk usage, also low ram.
The computer should be fast and feel like new.
Eset is lightweight, stable, with a good reputation, with very low RAM consumption, in fact, it’s a set-and-forget solution. Although it is advisable to make a few additional settings before doing this. I've been using it for about three years now, sometimes trying other solutions and always coming back.

Norton is also quite lightweight in my opinion, it ran perfectly on an Intel atom with 4 gigabytes of RAM.

Reactions: Nevi and Dave Russo

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
If,your computer isn't maxed out on ram, adding always helps, if your processor is poor, an upgrade there(if price is reasonable)

Reactions: Nevi and Khushal

Biswajit poddar

May 8, 2024
Choosing an antivirus with minimal performance impact is crucial. A couple of reputable options known for their lightweight nature are Bitdefender and Kaspersky. They consistently rank high in independent tests for effectiveness without bogging down your system.

Another one worth considering is Avira. It's known for its solid protection and low resource usage.

Remember, though, the best choice depends on your specific needs and preferences. It's always a good idea to do a bit of research and maybe even try out a couple of options to see which one feels right for you.

Hope that helps keep your system running smoothly!

Reactions: Dave Russo
Mar 10, 2024
Like really low cpu and hard disk usage, also low ram.
The computer should be fast and feel like new.
Why are you asking about CPU and HD usage/low ram and making it feel like new? Is it an old or just under powered system? If so this will determine which one of the above choices could work the best for your uses and needs. Listing your specs as stated already would certainly help.

Azazel

Level 6
Thread author
Jun 15, 2023
Why are you asking about CPU and HD usage/low ram and making it feel like new? Is it an old or just under powered system? If so this will determine which one of the above choices could work the best for your uses and needs. Listing your specs as stated already would certainly help.
It's a general question irrespective of specs.
For example, Defender is known to have high disk usage during scans.

Mar 10, 2024
It's a general question irrespective of specs.
For example, Defender is known to have high disk usage during scans.
Its not because all these choices above have minimum requirements to run effectively and smoothly. If the computer is a high powered computer then these would certainly not be as much of an issue.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Only reason I use Kaspersky Free is because on my system it is the lightest AV with no major issues so far.

360 Total Security used to be pretty decent at one time. I remember Cruel sister praising it for its defense against worms in one of her videos several years ago.
I Loved The 360 Internet Security Times. Such a good Interface. 😌

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Not one some would call reputable but the firewall is very effective. Anyway, Comodo doesn't use much resources.
1715190064903.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.