Advice Request What are some popular security softwares that everyone uses, that you don't?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Anything but MS Defender, (on demand) SpyShelter and KAR. By the way: in my eyes Adguard (which I also use) isn't a security app.
Agreed but It is another layer of defense I think we can consider putting adguard in the list as other "security things" not just antivirus/firewalls/Os hardeners because otherwise the list would be short.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Malwarebytes - I really despise it, AM that pretends to be AV and it is even weak AM, so it compensates it with PUPs, just like Superantispyware does with tracking cookies
Microsoft Defender - highly praised by everyone, but it is yet another half-baked cookie made by MS, it lacks whipped cream and the cherry on top (GUI, exceptions, etc)
uBlock - I never got it working properly, it is light alright, but it seems to lack the soul, it is just an adblock, where you can add millions of filters and that is about it
AdGuard Desktop - I had an option to get a lifetime license, but I passed, it does not work without SSL filtering (unlike the extension), needless to say more

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Microsoft Defender - highly praised by everyone, but it is yet another half-baked cookie made by MS, it lacks whipped cream and the cherry on top (GUI, exceptions, etc)
Would really like to know what the "etc" is that you are talking about. I mean I don't use it by myself, but it's absolutely acceptable for a free AV. The UI is quite simple and exceptions are hard to navigate, but thats about it with the negative list imo. What else needs to be improved in your opinion?

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I sure that (all windows users at least use WD :D )
btw :
EEK & Malwarebytes are very popular.(I used them)
some peopel talk about adgaurd & adblock( I just use Adgaurd)
I think QIhoo & AVG & Avast & Avira & Comodo, may be five popular AVs (because they are Free) (I use none of them)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.