Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Some questions about Web-based apps and Desktop-installed apps.

Are there Risks to using Web Apps? How can they be avoided?
Are Desktop Apps safer or similarly vulnerable to Web apps?
Which are more susceptible to attacks?

Any other thoughts on this subject...

security123

Level 25
Verified
If the desktop app need internet access, then the web app is more secure if a secure browser like Chromium-Edge is in usage.
If the desktop app is a fully AppContainer app from Windows Store then that may be more secure but i guess the difference to Edge isn't much as Edge itself is isolated too.

Normal desktop programs are mostly more vulnerable as they use a lot of code, are mainly unmaintained and aren't build for security. Best example are Java based programs.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I am not so fond of apps such as Slack and Zoom that install in User space. It circumvents the security boundaries of System space. It's true that these apps usually do not have admin privileges, but if abused, it could still lead to data theft or keylogging or encrypting of personal files.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 20
Verified
If the desktop app need internet access, then the web app is more secure if a secure browser like Chromium-Edge is in usage.
If the desktop app is a fully AppContainer app from Windows Store then that may be more secure but i guess the difference to Edge isn't much as Edge itself is isolated too.

Normal desktop programs are mostly more vulnerable as they use a lot of code, are mainly unmaintained and aren't build for security. Best example are Java based programs.
Java shouldn't be used nowadays if possible .