Advice Request What are these additional AdwCleaner settings for?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The built-in glossary doesn't explain what they are, only that they would be cleaned/reset.

WHY are the following defaults (as seen in screenshot) already enabled?
  • Delete IFEO keys
  • Delete tracing keys
  • Delete Prefetch files
  • Reset Chrome policies
  • Reset TCP/IP
  • Reset Firewall
  • Reset IPSec
  • Reset BITS
  • Reset IE policies
  • Reset Winsock
  • Reset HOSTS files
And should any of the others be marked for basic repair?

1606576281727.png

Image: Malwarebytes AdwCleaner - After a scan is complete.

1606575824347.png

Image: Malwarebytes AdwCleaner - Application settings

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I imagine if this is used during a formal malware cleanup, these functions would need to be reset after a heavy infection.

I never use any of them, just the scanner. IMO, that's what AdwCleaner basically is to me--a scanner.

A quick search yields this thread on it.

Malwarebytes AdwCleaner Basic Repair Question - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com)
That was my understanding, so for the average scan, it can be ignored/skipped. Thanks for the link too.

According to your screenshot, they are disabled. Only 3 settings show enabled.
Congratulations! You have a won a prize, here's your detective coat.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.