What are you Browsing Now?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
OK, more real-life "browsing." Stop! ✋🛑 Before you look under the spoiler, pls. see some details. Since this was kind of nearby, I went to this exact location and...nothing. Business as usual! Not even flame-marks on the sidewalk outside where a Good Sam knocked the second Molotov cocktail out of the whacko-'s hand. Just some debris outside waiting for pick-up. Did this really happen? :unsure:

Ironically the Daily Mail has the superior pictures over NY papers. Even more amazing, one deli worker who was injured with burns to his arm chased down the guy and held him down for cops, suffering additional injuries from slashing by the arsonist.

Well, Bedford-Stuyvesent (Bed-Sty) will always be gangsta despite "gentrification." Did come back with a new wallpaper for my phone. Anyone in Europe ever see graffiti like this on the side of your neighborhood supermarket? No? Didn't THINK so. :D

IMG_0094[1].jpg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, I'm back. Just half an hour ago, I heard a lone fire truck's siren somewhere but this is a very common thing to hear. Then I heard a helicopter. So, curious, I went out to take a look. Immediately upon stepping into the hallway of my large and elderly building, I smelled burning wood, but at first I thought it was incense that folks burn sometimes.

Then I went outside.

IMG_0103[1].jpg
You can't really tell, but the firemen's helmets are covered in wet crud from insulation and ceiling debris.
IMG_0104[1].jpg
Above photo--on your left: the fourth floor taken out almost completely. On the right: my building. :eek: Yes, I live in the bldg on the right.

IMG_0098[1].jpg

Hopefully, you can see the top floor is burnt out. The fire went thru the roof so there is considerable damage to this very nice building. So this is what I will be browsing tomorrow when this makes the news. It's still ongoing, there is still fire but it's under control now. I'm wondering if the entire building is evacuated--there were many, many people milling around.

Since my windows are open, I can smell the burning wood now. Brooklyn...never a dull moment. I'll update this w/more info when it's available.

Edit: here, it made the news already, but the fire started in a vacant unit. Good! There was gossip on the street that there were workers attending to the unit before it started so...maybe it was carelessness of some sort. Wow.

Edit: Update 11/02/2021: In the cruel light of day, we see the damage on the outside and that it was indeed a bad fire. Gossip was wrong, published report said that not only was the iniitial apt. occupied but one person died and another on the street was hospitalized. Broken glass everywhere and a window screen hanging off a tree branch. Things may change further but...My neighborhood was so quiet this morning.

IMG_0109[1].jpgIMG_0108[1].jpgIMG_0106[1].jpg

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@plat1098
You feel that you are facing more real-world security issues than pc security measures. Please be careful and live!

In Japan, the Joker caused an incident on the subway.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
@plat1098
You feel that you are facing more real-world security issues than pc security measures. Please be careful and live!

Yes, thanks show-Zi. I live in an area of Brooklyn that is not particularly safe on many fronts--obviously.

I saw this Japanese subway crisis on the news also. People running and running, desperate to escape that Joker guy. But it was never really mentioned here in the US that he had used acid and stabbed multiple people. People losing their minds all over the place. I don't like riding the subways anymore. But sometimes, it's unavoidable. Here in NYC, you don't want to be too obvious looking around you and marking people as possibly evil. That alone can ironically set them off.

You be careful too. (y) Japan seems to have its share of lunatics also, obviously.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.