Advice Request What are your top 5 Privacy Extensions for your browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Well, at the moment I'm trying to make my browsing as private as possible. That's actually pretty hard as I'm using Chrome :ROFLMAO:. Still I'd like to know what you guys use to make ur browsing more private. It doesn't have to necessarily be an extension.. Looking forward for your answers! :)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
  • A VPN to hide your IP address
  • NextDNS to block third-party trackers disguising themselves as first-party
  • AdGuard to block known ads/trackers, and enabled Stealth Mode to block X-Client header, strip tracking elements from URLs, and hide your HTTP referer header from third-parties
  • Privacy Badger to block newly deployed third-party trackers that haven't been added to AdGuard's blocklists
  • HTTPS Everywhere to stop cached HSTS headers being used as a tracking method
Each one I picked to protect against different tracking methods.
(I don't use all this. It's just what I would use if I wanted my browsing activity to be as private as possible from corporate entities.)

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
  • A VPN to hide your IP address
  • NextDNS to block third-party trackers disguising themselves as first-party
  • AdGuard to block known ads/trackers, and enabled Stealth Mode to block X-Client header, strip tracking elements from URLs, and hide your HTTP referer header from third-parties
  • Privacy Badger to block newly deployed third-party trackers that haven't been added to AdGuard's blocklists
  • HTTPS Everywhere to stop cached HSTS headers being used as a tracking method
Each one I picked to protect against different tracking methods.
Similar to my setup, except that i also use "Decentraleyes". What do you think about it? :unsure:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Similar to my setup, except that i also use "Decentraleyes". What do you think about it? :unsure:
Pointless. Your IP address is hidden from the CDN by the VPN, and AdGuard's stripping the referer (and thus the site you're browsing) from its requests. The only thing it could do is fingerprint you, but fingerprinting is apparently not particularly prevalent and almost impossible to deal with so I wouldn't worry about it.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Pointless. Your IP address is hidden from the CDN by the VPN, and AdGuard's stripping the referer (and thus the site you're browsing) so it's not seeing what site you're browsing. The only thing it could do is fingerprint you, but fingerprinting is apparently not particularly prevalent and almost impossible to deal with so I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks a lot for the explanation :)

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Quite a few about:config modification on Firefox, some flags on Chromium Edge.

1. uBlock Origin (Medium mode)
  2. ClearURLs
  3. Cookie Autodelete
Not an extension but also using Adguard DNS.
Maybe better try the Adguard VPN Beta. You can choose Adguard DNS too and at least disable it, when it causes problems on some websites. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.