Advice Request What browser do you use on Linux, and do you get timely updates?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There is a security issue that most linux users don't seem to be aware of, and that is browser updates.
Lots of people are using Firefox or Chromium and they have to wait for their distro to test the new version and eventually issue the update. That means the browser is not up to date for a lot of the time, on most standard distros, such as Ubuntu and Manjaro. That's a security issue.
If you use Google Chrome or Brave, you do get timely updates straight from the respective company.
Mozilla offers a Firefox version of their own, for linux users, it is not dependent on your distro for updates. It gets the updates right away, straight from Mozilla.

Last edited:

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
There is a security issue that most linux users don't seem to be aware of, and that is browser updates.
Lots of people are using Firefox or Chromium and they have to wait for their distro to test the new version and eventually issue the update. That means the browser is not up to date for a lot of the time, on most standard distros, such as Ubuntu and Manjaro. That's a security issue.
If you use Google Chrome or Brave, you do get timely updates straight from the respective company.
Mozilla offers a Firefox version of their own, for linux users, it is not dependent on your distro for updates. It gets the updates right away, straight from Mozilla.
It is no more unsafe than running an enterprise version of Chrome or Firefox that are multiple versions behind the latest and greatest. The security issues are actually blown way out of proportion.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
What are the default ways that browsers on Linux update?

It's own App store, built in updaters, background services?
The distros' own package manager (apt, yum, zypper, pacman, etc) unless you installed it from either Flatpak or Snap (the default Ubuntu store) then it's responsibility of their respective daemon (background service) to keep its self contained apps updated.

Most distros tend to search for updates using its own package manager at boot and notify the user if there's any.

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Firefox, Tor Browser. Yes. They both update automatically thankfully. No fiddling with packages once it's installed.
Not really, unless an update is flagged as critical priority (security patches). At least that's how it works on Ubuntu based distros.

Edit: when I used Kubuntu I got a nice KDE discover notification saying that there are new updates from time time

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Not really, unless an update is flagged as critical priority (security patches). At least that's how it works on Ubuntu based distros.

Edit: when I used Kubuntu I got a nice KDE discover notification saying that there are new updates from time time
That's interesting. I am on Crostini in Chrome OS. It will update by itself. Tor Browser has a launcher that checks for updates as well.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What are the default ways that browsers on Linux update?

It's own App store, built in updaters, background services?
I had a discussion with the devs of MX Linux about it, and they told me every browser is different. Firefox, which usually comes preinstalled, will first be tested by the team and then the update will be released through the official channel of the distro. But Google Chrome gets its own updates that come in through its own channel. I found the same to be true for Brave.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As an example, Firefox released v82.0 stable today and it has already been updated on MX linux (via synaptic package manager). As stated, firefox comes pre-installed on MX. (y)

I generally find firefox is updated quickly in mx.
I don't understand how you did that, because I am writing this from MX Linux, and the MX package manager says it has 0 updates, but Firefox is still on 81.0.2. I just checked Synaptic, too, and there is no apparent way there to get an update for Firefox.
Apparently, you are not on the default distro-provided version of Firefox.
What do you see when you click on "about" in Firefox? I see this:

2020-10-20_10-12.png

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
there's nothing special about my installation. I'm using default sources. I just opened synaptic manager - > hit "Reload", then "Mark All Upgrades" and then "Apply". (y)

Untitled.png

here are the sources:

Untitled2.png

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I
there's nothing special about my installation. I'm using default sources. I just opened synaptic manager - > hit "Reload", then "Mark All Upgrades" and then "Apply". (y)

View attachment 247647
I did that, and no updates are available.
Version 82 is not in the stable repo.
@bribon77 are you on MX? What version is your Firefox at?

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Here is my repo on Chrome OS if it helps anyone lol

sources.png

All I need to make auto updates happen in Firefox. I need buster-backports to make Tor Browser auto-updates to work. Atom Editor repo is for Atom Editor.
I do agree I live with the benefit that each Chrome OS update also updates a lot of components in Crostini and thus Debian buster container. But for me it's enough to open the Firefox/Tor and if nothing happens just go to Settings -> Help -> About and it will immediately download like in the screenshot.

Attachments

• update.png
    update.png
    895.9 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When was it released and how can I get it?
So I saw a link in an OMG Ubuntu article

It looks like only .deb is available at the moment

EDIT: You can get also the .rpm installer here:

For Arch:

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

So I saw a link in an OMG Ubuntu article
Glad you found it. Sorry for the slow reply, been pretty hectic in my neck of the woods. I'm really happy they ported this browser over, its my daily driver.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.