Advice Request What Browser Extensions are you using in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm using windows defender as my AV. How does AdGuard replace LocalCDN? If I use AdGuard don't I still need uMatrix? If I'm using nano adblocker why do I not need nano defender pro if it's meant to be used together? I use Ghostery to catch things that nano missed since I'm using mainly cosmetics filters.
Sorry, you are correct about LocalCDN that's no function of. AdGuard.
See about AdGuard features here:
Especially Stealth mode has interesting features:
IMO you shouldn't need 3 extensions for the same function.
Just choose one that suits you best.
I suggest you try AdGuard after reading the blog posting above.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I'm using windows defender as my AV. How does AdGuard replace LocalCDN? If I use AdGuard don't I still need uMatrix? If I'm using nano adblocker why do I not need nano defender pro if it's meant to be used together? I use Ghostery to catch things that nano missed since I'm using mainly cosmetics filters.
AdGuard doesn't replace LocalCDN / Decentraleyes but that's not needed anyway. Use CDN's locally doesn't make sense as they change over time and also you make a connection to the CDN's anyway. So you only increase your own attack surface.

AdGuard also doesn't replace uMatrix. I use uMatrix with AdGuard.
Another adblocker like your nano adblocker or nano defender isn't needed then.
Ghostery isn't required too as you filter the tracker already with AdGuard and uMatrix and also Edge has internal Anti-Tracking. Ghostery only give you worse privacy

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
IDCAC has their own filter list they could use.
I know it, but i decided to test the ublock annoyance filters before adding an external one. And after some time, i decided that there was no need for that (from IDCAC).

Because AdGuard include ClearURL / NeatURL feature, so i need one less extension
Wow! I didn't know about that. I got interested in ClearURL and NeatURL features a long time ago but i decided to don't use because like you i try to avoid independent developed extensions (despite i do know there are a lot of people that are only trying to help, you never can separate the black sheep from the others, unfortunately :( )

I'll take a look at adguard, but can you tell more about how that work? Do you believe in Adguard privacy policy? ty!!

AdGuard doesn't replace LocalCDN / Decentraleyes but that's not needed anyway. Use CDN's locally doesn't make sense as they change over time and also you make a connection to the CDN's anyway. So you only increase your own attack surface.
Yeah, you keep accessing your CDN anyway, but only for those you didn't have locally access. It means your CDN won't havew access to how many times you access a specific site for example. Besides that, it can increase loading speed a little (as you your CDN requisitions are performed locally).
And, as far as i know, CDN doesn't change over time so often, so that should not be a problem.

You can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm not sure if i cant agree with you in that matter.

Ghostery isn't required too as you filter the tracker already with AdGuard and uMatrix and also Edge has internal Anti-Tracking. Ghostery only give you worse privacy

Any particular reason to choose Adguard and not Ghostery?

Yes. See my post above.

Yes, it checks to update rules and extension versions. That's it.

Ty @oldschool

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I'll take a look at adguard, but can you tell more about how that work?
AdGuard is a Adblocker with adblock plus syntax but in a good way. It's always recommend here.

Besides that, it can increase loading speed a little (as you your CDN requisitions are performed locally).
To be fair I use decentraleyes for years and never see any performance improvement.
Internet is very fast nowadays so a performance boost is only in theory. For me that's no reason for extension.

Any particular reason to choose Adguard and not Ghostery?
Many. Just read about ghostery. They has a lot of privacy problems in past and the owner is a ads/ tracking company.
Also ghostery isn't a Adblocker and doesn't provide the features.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I'm wondering: if someone would like to limit the number of extensions in a browser to get a good balance between security, convenience and performance, would it be better to use an extension that uses blacklists like Adguard, Ublock Origin, Ghostery, Disconnnect....and another one that uses mostly algorythms like Privacy Badger or Privacy Possum?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I'm wondering: if someone would like to limit the number of extensions in a browser to get a good balance between security, convenience and performance, would it be better to use an extension that uses blacklists like Adguard, Ublock Origin, Ghostery, Disconnnect....and another one that uses mostly algorythms like Privacy Badger or Privacy Possum?
Blacklists. Specifically an ad blocker. Tracker blockers are a bad idea if your priority is security as they're liable to let some ads though thus potentially exposing the user to malvertising.
And Privacy Possum doesn't block ads or trackers from loading. Better to label it an information blocker instead of a tracker blocker.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Canvas Blocker (Fingerprint protect)
How long you have been using this? Since i stopped using fingerprint protection having extensions after trace it felt like theres none available, firefox will resist all fingerprint with the about:config, but it feels sloppy browser compared to chromium browsers and im always moving back to chromium

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Vivaldi (w/ browser flags) —
1. Netcraft
2. uBlock Origin (Medium Mode config)
3. Malwarebytes (Malware/Scams/PUP)
4. Evernote
5. VT4Browsers
Removed Application Guard protecting Edge as the Vmmem process used to hog resources too much.

I'm curious about OPSWAT File Security extension and to what extent does it actively use Data Sanitization CDR, if it does as mentioned in details.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Which extension is better right now, Ublock Origin or Adguard?
I would say go with uBlock Origin because its light and fast...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
How long you have been using this? Since i stopped using fingerprint protection having extensions after trace it felt like theres none available, firefox will resist all fingerprint with the about:config, but it feels sloppy browser compared to chromium browsers and im always moving back to chromium
There are so many types of fingerprints. See below. I don't think FF resists ALL fingerprints likely only canvas fingerprint.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
ublock is better than adguard in terms of adblocking and compatibility. Adguard is slightly better than ublock at blocking trackers/privacy + it has malware filters (very weak)
adguard doesn't have an option (be default) to block DNS prefetching => ads can appear in less than 1 sec before being blocked. ublock disables DNS prefetching so the ads won't be downloaded in the first place. You can manually disable prefetching in chrome/edge/chromium-like browsers' settings

adguard isn't fully compatible with all filters as they have different syntax. Sometimes, you add some filters into adguard, some rules won't work or will malfunction (happened to me, it blocked all websites. It misread a rule to https -> all https sites were blocked)

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016

I've been using ublock for a long long time. It's excelent!

However, after @security123 told me that Adblock had the possibility to clear urls (as ClearURL extension), i decided to use adguard!

Basically, i'm changing for Adguard for a few reasons:

1) I can disable 1 extension i've been using: Cookies Autodelete and use the auto destroy function from Adguard (and focus only on 3th party cookies)

2) I don't need to add and trust another extension to do something adguard already does: ClearURL

3) Adguard is signed for Microsoft Edge

4) I checked their privacy policy and it's very good!

5) I can enable all filters i was using with ublock (wich is basically all you need). And adguard filters are optimized (meaning they are constantly removing unused rules)

6) it had the main extras from ublock, like blocking WebRTC

💡 if you are going to use Adguard, don't activate the antipishing function - a lot of people complain about it for slowing down pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.