Advice Request What DNS client to use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I have two questions about NextDNS. When I configure NextDNS (manually using dns over https), do I have to enter the IP displayed in my NextDNS profile? The second question is: is there a way to see blocked dns queries in Yoga DNS
1. do I have to enter the IP displayed in my NextDNS profile?
No. But enter the custom configuration id from its settings page. There is a full how to section here
2. is there a way to see blocked dns queries in Yoga DNS

When a resolution is processed by YogaDNS through a NextDNS server, you should see log messages like those below (set Screen Log to Verbose or Debug for more output).

[05.08 11:18:52] iana.org - request : type=A, server=10.0.0.1:53, program=nslookup.exe
[05.08 11:18:52] iana.org - process : server=NextDNS (NextDNS, 11366e), rule=Default
[05.08 11:18:52] iana.org - reply : type=A, ips=192.0.43.8
[05.08 11:18:53] iana.org - request : type=AAAA, server=10.0.0.1:53, program=nslookup.exe
[05.08 11:18:53] iana.org - process : server=NextDNS (NextDNS, 11366e), rule=Default
[05.08 11:18:53] iana.org - reply : type=AAAA, ips=2001:500:88:200::8

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
YogaDNS is great I have used it in the past but the best DNS client I have used is SimpleDNSCrypt 0.7.1.

It has the better interface and is already integrated with over 100 resolvers. Support for IPv4/6

I use Cloudflare doH has its noticeably faster than all other resolvers at my location.
Thanks for the recommendation, but page is not found.

Update:
Found this.

Reactions: Nevi and blackice

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It seems that it has not received updates in a while though.
Ah, it doesn’t get updated very regularly. You can look at the GitHub and see what he has said lately. Last time I read something he said was that it really doesn’t need a lot of maintenance. :unsure:
I didn’t use it for very long. I don’t like having a client if I don’t have to.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I have two questions about NextDNS. When I configure NextDNS (manually using dns over https), do I have to enter the IP displayed in my NextDNS profile? The second question is: is there a way to see blocked dns queries in Yoga DNS
Can you post a screenshot what exactly you mean by IP? Do you mean the ID or the Linked IP function? Also, yea you can see the blocked queries if you enable the logs within NextDNS.
Unbenannt.PNG

After everything is set up you can check if DoH is working with your configuration:

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Can you post a screenshot what exactly you mean by IP? Do you mean the ID or the Linked IP function? Also, yea you can see the blocked queries if you enable the logs within NextDNS.
View attachment 255784

After everything is set up you can check if DoH is working with your configuration:
I meant the two IPs offered by NextDns on the right side of the online dashboard.
Yes NextDNS is working with my configuration. Thank you very much

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
NextDNS can also be natively used in Edge, without any external tool.
Some router supported encrypted DNS natively too but sadly that's rarer. AVM FritzBox support DoT for example.
If I set up NextDNS in Edge, will it also show the connections made by extensions?

Reactions: Kongo

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
It should show all queries made while being connected to that DNS address. Or If you don't (necessarily) need DoH, DoT etc..., than you can also set the DNS in Windows 10 itself by going to 'Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet (tab) > Click the Ethernet adapter > scroll down to IP assignments > set to manual > Preferred & alternate DNS'. Or in the driver adapter itself, same settings under the hood just different UI in getting there.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Could you please elaborate?
Enumerating/ Blocking Ads+Trracker doesn't work and can be easily bypassed like using server-side tracking.
Also blocking stuff can be used for tracking/ generating unique ID with e.g., your used filter list (yes, even with only DNS lists).

So, AdGuard (both browser extension and standalone OS program) can block Ads+Tracker but in the end, it only makes things worse.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.