Advice Request What download manager you are using and Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is the download manager solution you are using and why ??

• Internet Download Manager (idm)

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Free Download Manager

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Ant Download Manager

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other (please mention it)

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
For videos, I use Jdownloader installed in a RPi. I use an addon to pass on the video link to it.

For anything else, I've been using XDM, but I probably use something else because I use JDW for videos.

Reactions: DDE_Server

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I've used Free Download Manager for awhile. I don't entirely remember the reason why I started using it aside from it not being paid. (Not that's always the best reason ;p) Is the purchase of Internet Download Manager worth it?

Thanks!

-DJ
i purchased from 3 years lifetime form ePay license however free updates stopped from two days ago but software still working so i am thinking fi there is another solution which better than it before i renew

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
IDM is the worst because when it combines download parts, it reduces SSD longevity and it's not the fastest
This is new information for me. could you explain more how does it affect the health of SSD hard disk :unsure::unsure: ?? if i monitored SSD drive for example using Hard disk sentinel will i expect performance degradation with time ??

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
For videos, I use Jdownloader installed in a RPi. I use an addon to pass on the video link to it.

For anything else, I've been using XDM, but I probably use something else because I use JDW for videos.
I donot trust Jdownloader

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It combines file parts just like IDM and made my laptop completely unusable during the process
I also had this issue with IDM on my previous laptop and started looking for alternatives. Then I settled with EagleGet. Now using EagleGet Portable.
I barely use the download manager though. I only use it to download files larger than 350+ MB or when I really need to download something quickly. Downloading Windows ISO for example is far better and faster with a decent download manager than a browser.
EagleGet's website has been offline for a while. Don't know what happened to them.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
This is new information for me. could you explain more how does it affect the health of SSD hard disk :unsure::unsure: ?? if i monitored SSD drive for example using Hard disk sentinel will i expect performance degradation with time ??
The way IDM works is, it downloads the files in several split parts in temporary directory 1st and after all is complete, it merges them and moves it to the download folder that you selected. The default temporary directory is in your appdata folder, which is in SSD if you use SSD for your OS installation. So unless you change this settings to set the temporary folder to HDD, there's a lot of writes in SSD which decreases its health.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
there is an great explanation on quora but I can't find it anymore
basically, it means that IDM downloads file parts and store them randomly on the disk. After the download is finished, IDM joins those parts and causes extremely high disk usage (only noticeable with large files), similarly to defragging your SSD/HDD -> bad for your SSD

with other downloaders, for example, the good old Eagleget, the file is pre-allocated on the disk and file parts are downloaded to that specific allocated spaces. Therefore, after the download is done, there is no need to join or the joining process can't not be felt because nothing is moving

I just downloaded a 12GB file with xtreme download manager. My laptop was unusable during the file joining/assembling. The SSD usage was 100% -> uninstalled

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
The way IDM works is, it downloads the files in several split parts in temporary directory 1st and after all is complete, it merges them and moves it to the download folder that you selected. The default temporary directory is in your appdata folder, which is in SSD if you use SSD for your OS installation. So unless you change this settings to set the temporary folder to HDD, there's a lot of writes in SSD which decreases its health.
yes Good info to know. although i didnot know that before i changed temp folder to my HDD disk as i am using little SSD for OS only "128 Giga" and 1TB HDD for storage

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I also had this issue with IDM on my previous laptop and started looking for alternatives. Then I settled with EagleGet. Now using EagleGet Portable.
I barely use the download manager though. I only use it to download files larger than 350+ MB or when I really need to download something quickly. Downloading Windows ISO for example is far better and faster with a decent download manager than a browser.
EagleGet's website has been offline for a while. Don't know what happened to them.
it's dead :(
the project is gone

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Use the adware free setup: JDownloader.org - Official Homepage

Other reason it may trigger antivirus alerts is, it connects to some sites to load their icons for its plugins. And several of those sites are ads heavy so they alert AVs but since its only loading icons, nothing harmful is being done.
they write their software is opensource . is there source code om public codebase repository such Github for example ??

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
you could download ISO officially using Media creation tool only other than that it will be 3rd party websites
I don't like using the Media creation tool. It's possible to directly download the ISO from Microsoft's site also. There are a couple of third party sites who doesn't host the ISO, they simply lets you easily download from Microsoft's server.
it's dead :(
the project is gone
This is really sad. Hope it continues to work.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I don't like using the Media creation tool. It's possible to directly download the ISO from Microsoft's site also. There are a couple of third party sites who doesn't host the ISO, they simply lets you easily download from Microsoft's server.

This is really sad. Hope it continues to work.
Me too, I hope.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.