Advice Request What download manager you are using and Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is the download manager solution you are using and why ??

• Internet Download Manager (idm)

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Free Download Manager

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Ant Download Manager

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other (please mention it)

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'm using the Pro version of Internet Download Accelerator, because it lets you check for updates for any downloads you select. If any of the selected downloads have more recent versions, it will download them. It's certainly not the fastest downloader, but the only alternative with that feature, as far I know, is FlashGet, which I also use. However, FlashGet crashes a lot when you have hundreds of downloads in its database.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The first Download manager I used was Getright. Probably the Grand father of all Download Managers.

GetRight was one of the first to able to pause and resume downloads, download from multiple servers to speed up download time (segmented file transfer). Something almost unheard of at the time.

You youngin's don't know the pain of downloading a windows ISO through your browser and at 99% have your internet connection go down. :eek:

Not sure why the last release was 2011. I would use it today if they kept updating it regularly and it supported W10. Used Flashget after but updates also stopped in 2012.

At the moment I don't use any, all my downloads just sit in the abyss that is my Downloads folders.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
I use eagletget and xtreme download manager
let's see if xtreme can replace eagletget because eagleget is generally the fastest for me

IDM is the worst because when it combines download parts, it reduces SSD longevity and it's not the fastest
The eagleget DM does not let users download videos anymore. Instead, it shows a html file. its site is also down.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The eagleget DM does not let users download videos anymore. Instead, it shows a html file.
I know. I just use it to download other things
just uninstalled xtreme download manager. It combines file parts just like IDM and made my laptop completely unusable during the process

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I use eagletget and xtreme download manager
let's see if xtreme can replace eagletget because eagleget is generally the fastest for me

IDM is the worst because when it combines download parts, it reduces SSD longevity and it's not the fastest
xtreme and eagletget, do they integrate any browser addons? I want a simple download manager without doing that.

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
I just tested xtreme download manager, I think it was great
downloaded all the videos on YouTube and elsewhere
i was a test in the Edge browser with the plugin installed
I think it was faster than IDM

Reactions: roger_m and Back3

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Neat download manager is also nice. The only thing is that it does not support video downloads from youtube in chrome browser. Youtube support works only in firefox.

Reactions: roger_m

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Do people with highspeed internet e.g. Fiber Optic need a download manager? Why?
because the speed from browser is not fast enough an sometimes, the ISP restricts international internet causing incredibly slow download (<100KB/s). Example, me when I download wise disk cleaner, ~100KB/s -> eagleget = >1MB/s
using a download manager can make it faster 10x or more. Still slow but much more acceptable

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
You can set the temporary directory to hdd

1634822059960.png

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.