Advice Request What download manager you are using and Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is the download manager solution you are using and why ??

• Internet Download Manager (idm)

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Free Download Manager

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Ant Download Manager

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other (please mention it)

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
For now, Xtreme Download Manager, esp. the video capture feature. For fast, unattended downloads, I right-click links and send them to Jdownloader installed in an attached Raspberry Pi.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Is it okay to use EagleGet? The last version came out in 2020. Does it work ok with Windows 11?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017

ng4ever

Level 17
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Reactions: Sunshine-boy

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Useless in my opinion, all browsers have the resume function now.
Never used a download manager in my life for 35 years.
Download managers can sometimes make downloads complete much faster, compared to downloading the file in a browser. I also use download managers to check for updates to installers I've downloaded.

Last edited:

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Useless in my opinion, all browsers have the resume function now.
Never used a download manager in my life for 35 years.

That is perfectly fine, and I do not use it because it has a resume function. Not every download can be resumed in my experience.

I use it because it can and will in many cases speed up the download as roger_m mentioned, and it organizes the downloads in my download folder. Not to mention that the one I use is free and works really well (In my opinion.) on most websites… not all but most so far.

Reactions: Jengo and roger_m

rashmi

Level 5
Jan 15, 2024
I use a download manager for full-speed downloading because I have experienced slow downloads with browsers many times. You can also download videos for offline use with a DM.
Some countries have an "'essential" plan for people who cannot afford high-speed internet. Essential Subscription is basically low (10–15 mbps) speed with around 1 mbps download speed without extra stuff like OTT. DM is helpful for people with such plans because they can download with full speed and enjoy videos offline without buffering.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Can someone explain to me how you can download faster than the download speed you ISP provides?
It can help to bypass FUP (Fair Use Policy). Steam is a good example, windows updates as well, thus MS introduced P2P, the download speed is limited based the number of users.
Parallel Downloading can help with that, because the server does not know, if it is the same user or another one with the same IP, so it is like cheating, though it does not always work.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Can someone explain to me how you can download faster than the download speed you ISP provides?
If you're downloading from a fast server, e.g. if you downloading from Microsoft, the download speed probably won't be any faster. However if you're downloading a file and the download speed is slower than the speed of your internet, then a download manager often can help, as it creates multiple connections to the same server. Usually the combined speed from multiple connections, will be faster than download speed of a single connection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.