Advice Request What happened to Avast?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Well, I thought Google's main business was search providing, not data hoarding?
Haha Guys, We found the security equivalent of Captain America, the dude just wake up after 70 years in hibernation ! ROFL.
Are you serious when you say that? come..on..
Google main business is advertising via Adwords. Web search was main business a decade ago...
Now remind me how best you advertise? by collecting consumers datas for better targeting? right?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • HaHa
Reactions: RKRN3

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
I agree with this, we said that years ago. Now people wakes up and get concerned as if a bomb exploded in their garden, unfortunately it is already too late.
Why do subs like r/privacy exist then? Just curious.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@RejZoR Are you randomly ranting against something that is bothering you and hit reply by accident on my post?

Not much use responding to a polymorphic debater parroting his posts in slightly different wording, so I limit my reply to mmmeeehhh. 🐑

Last edited:
  • HaHa
Reactions: RKRN3

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Haha Guys, We found the security equivalent of Captain America, the dude just wake up after 70 years in hibernation ! ROFL.
Are you serious when you say that? come..on..
Google main business is advertising via Adwords. Web search was main business a decade ago...
Now remind me how best you advertise? by collecting consumers datas for better targeting? right?

Yeah well, the masses of people who use Google as defacto seems to think that Captain America. All those people are still stuck with mentality of Google being a good guy garage company. Yet they are anything but that today.

@RejZoR Are you randomly ranting against something that is bothering you and hit reply by accident on my post?

Not much use responding to a polymorphic debater parroting his posts in slightly different wording, so I limit my reply to mmmeeehhh. 🐑

No, I responded to your comment exactly.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

All those people are still stuck with mentality of Google being a good guy garage company. Yet they are anything but that today.
Their problem, not yours. As i always said , "you don't like , don't use, stop whining ".

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Their problem, not yours. As i always said , "you don't like , don't use, stop whining ".

You're saying that literally while whining about avast! doing the same thing. Hypocrite galore.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Finally, you ended insulting, exactly as a fanboy does. Hahaha. So easy to get you.

No, just making a summary on your monumental hypocrisy. And you're still screaming at me being fanboy because that seems to be your typical go to insult to avoid using actual arguments. Also if you look at my posts from last 10 years on avast! forums you'll see I'm anything but fanboy. But hey, whatever makes you feel good. Don't forget to pat yourself on the back.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

No, just making a summary on your monumental hypocrisy. And you're still screaming at me being fanboy because that seems to be your typical go to insult to avoid using actual arguments. Also if you look at my posts from last 10 years on avast! forums you'll see I'm anything but fanboy. But hey, whatever makes you feel good. Don't forget to pat yourself on the back.
Let see, let see...hahaha...

L

Local Host

That is not true when looking at the per browsing session data gathered. Google only knew the same amount of data when the website the user was browsing on used Google services and the user was logged into Google, same applies to Facebook only knew the same amount of data when the website used Facebook services and the user was logged into Facebook.

In a broader context, you are right that Facebook and Google collect far more big data than Avast has ever collected. But then again Avast's primary business is to protect their users from malware while Facebook and Google primary business is selling targeted advertisements based on big data collection.

On top of that the CEO of Avast himself published that at second thought the gathering and selling consumer data did not fit well with a company aiming to protect their users. In this age of 'alternative facts' I think it adds to Avast credit that Avast did not played down the relative loss of privacy* nor the fact that the user gave his/her consent, but decided to defend their reputation.

* Data could only be de-personalized when the AVAST data could be matched with data of their own website in which the user revealed its identity (e.g. sign-on for email/info/coupon, shopping cart check-out, website log-in, etc). In all of these cases the identity of the user would be known anyway. Buying Avast data "only"provided insight in surfing behavior before the user landed on the website buying this data.
You're wrong cause they both can track you with no effort and assign you an ID, based on hwid, browser, ip, etc (you don't need an account for them to make a profile on you).

• +Reputation
Reactions: oldschool

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Last edited: