Advice Request What is better a VM or a whole another pc/laptop for testing/trying out new stuff (like software)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A whole new machine to run a vm will be nice. If malware accidently escape vm then land onto the host machine, you will not going to get your data compromise.
Very good advice, and one could wish most people that fiddle with malware in one shape or another also would follow it. Then on the other hand, if one log in on any online service/account on this VM and also consider many malware variants and families, are credential stealing, it's not as bullet proof as one might think.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Reading this post, I wonder ...

Would there be a benefit in using a different OS on the host (e.g. a Linux distro) and in the VM (e.g. Windows 10). In the unlikely event a malware would escape the host machine, it would be faced with a different OS (on which its code is likely not prepared).

Other question are there examples that one VM was infected by another VM, so using above assumption would one powerfull PC with Linux distro as host with one 'for personal use' VM and one 'for playing use' VM the ultimate solution?

What are the thoughts of the people really using VM's on this?

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
It wouldn`t cost that much to buy a second hand laptop and put SD on it. Then you could test away to your hearts content without ever having to worry about VM leaks et al.

I use an old low end laptop with Toolwiz Timefreeze on it and the fun I`ve had throwing shed loads of nasties at some poor AV, I could tell ya! Who needs video games ?

Plus if some AV performs good resources wise on old lappy, it`s gonna fly on a "proper" system.

Regards Eck:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.