Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
mouse won't connect and programs disappeared
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
uninstalled DefenderUI, tried a different usb port.
So today on both of my computers, some programs disappeared from start menu and desktop shortcuts, my mouse doesn't connect, I kept getting ""your admin blocked this action" warnings in action center. Already set DefenderUI to default and uninstalled it, but still not fixed. Anyone having problems with windows today?

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
MS defender updated caused ASR to delete files.....
not sure why your mouse is affected.... but for sure .lnk (shortcut filese were removed by a dodgy defender signature

update your signatures....
Set "block win32 API calls from office Macros" ASR rule to audit for now.....
mount a recent backup and restore your shortcuts manually or robocopy by extension

see

Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

So today on both of my computers, some programs disappeared from start menu and desktop shortcuts, my mouse doesn't connect, I kept getting ""your admin blocked this action" warnings in action center. Already set DefenderUI to default and uninstalled it, but still not fixed. Anyone having problems with windows today?
this is the cause Tech News - Microsoft Defender ASR rules remove icons and apps shortcuts from Taskbar
workaround disable the "block win32 API calls from office Macro" ASR Rule

Upvote 0

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Do you have another mouse you can try?
Do other USB devices work?
Check in device manager if any exclamation marks ..

Maybe try dism / SFC scans

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.