Votes: 36 55.4%

• Total voters

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
You ask for the best zero-day protection... hmmm... I would go with an Anti-Virus that contains more than 10 engines or work with VirusTotal.

I would pick:
VoodooShield or SecureAPlus (I heared about SAP that this AV is really slow; They work with signatures, sorry :C)
Comodo Firewall (use the settings, you provided in your setup topic)

On-demand:
Zemana AntiMalware Portable

Use your browser extensions that you provided in the setup topic

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo Firewall and AppCheck Anti-Ransomware. AppCheck for me is in case I mistakenly run malware out of Comodo containment that I should not run or in case someone comes up with a bypass of Comodo. It's extremely light and being updated regularly.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
All anti-exploit software is no different from AVs, they are sort of like signature based, they are focused on a specific area, instead of the whole system. Black-listing has proven, it does not work, white-listing is the way to go. Sandbox with HIPS will stop anything, Comodo Firewall has got both for free.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Comodo Firewall and AppCheck Anti-Ransomware. AppCheck for me is in case I mistakenly run malware out of Comodo containment that I should not run or in case someone comes up with a bypass of Comodo. It's extremely light and being updated regularly.
But AppCheck is more for ransomware rather than normal malware. If your concern is the latter than you need an AV/AM + AppCheck.

There is zero-day exploits and then there is "zero-day malware." "Zero-day malware" is a misnomer, but I am not going to get into it here. Two completely different security issues requiring two completely different protection models\strategies.

The OP uses the phrase "best 0-day protection." It appears that he means both mitigation of exploits and the stopping of "zero-day" malware.

Educate the OP properly. Some of the recommendations given in this thread are just plain bad advice.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There is zero-day exploits and then there is "zero-day malware." "Zero-day malware" is a misnomer, but I am not going to get into it here. Two completely different security issues requiring two completely different protection models\strategies.

The OP uses the phrase "best 0-day protection." It appears that he means both mitigation of exploits and the stopping of "zero-day" malware.

Educate the OP properly. Some of the recommendations given in this thread are just plain bad advice.
Then CF + HMPA + VS should do the job for zero-day protection or should

ReHIPS + AppGuard be the recommendation?

Then CF + HMPA + VS should do the job for zero-day protection or should

ReHIPS + AppGuard be the recommendation?

Based upon what the OP asked and how they asked it, they would be best served by an anti-exploit combined with something that blocks everything newly introduced to the system by default. They can achieve this by any of a number of soft combos with the correct settings.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017

I am talking about both malware and exploits.

I am talking about both malware and exploits.

If you want to protect against application exploits using a security soft, then you need to employ an anti-exploit soft. For the "zero-day malware" end you can use any of a number of solutions.

You can just as easily get very effective anti-exploit protection by not using commonly exploited programs; use alternatives and keep all softs and OS up to date.

You do not need to overdo the combination of security softs to get solid protection. To block exploits themselves you need to use an anti-exploit soft that uses mitigations whereas for the "zero-day malware" you can use something that blocks by default, virtualization, antivirus, HIPS, or any wise combo.

You have to figure out what works best for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
It's difficult to say what is the best, these might be useful:
Comodo's HIPS or Auto-Containment
quihoo 360 HIPS
Kaspersky System Watcher and Application Control
Avast BB (IDK how it's good)
Some staff of Bitdefender, must be pretty robust

Antiexploit: EMET or MBAE (standalone or as MBAM component)

Antiexec: SRP, AppLocker, VS, ERP, AppSamvid

Their combos can be pretty robust like Comodo FW + MBAE, or VS + MBAE

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.