Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 36 55.4%

• Total voters

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
A zero-day virus (also known as zero-day malware or next-generation malware) is a previously unknown computer virus or other malware for which specific antivirus software signatures are not yet available.

So, the best Zero Day Protection, you shouldn't solely Rely on your AntiVirus Detection, Add any Default-Deny Protection to compliment your AntiVirus. Example: Comodo (Not Include AV), VoodooShield, ReHIPS, AppGuard, etc..

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
There are many good 'true 0-day' protections (Sandboxing, HIPS, Whitelisting, SRP, Anti-exe), but they are not easy for the average user. Advanced security programs like: Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Emsisoft, Eset, Comodo, can use the above solutions, but that depends on the chosen settings.
The simplest, very strong, and well balanced on usability/security, is Windows SmartScreen Application Reputation (Windows 8+) + frequent system/software updates. SmartScreen does not cover scripts (except: *.bat, *.cmd, *.jse, and *.vbe), so home users should block script execution (Windows Script Host, PowerShell, and others). SmartScreen can check only files downloaded from the Internet, but there are solutions that can bypass this limitation.
Also, using Standard User Account can highly reduce 'true 0-day' infections.
I think that Avast in hardened (aggressive) mode (+blocked scripts) is also a good solution.
HitmanPro Alert and Zemana Anti-Keylogger are directed to fight only very specific 0-day malware files.
Malwarebytes 3.0 (free), is good against new malware/adware samples, but it is not a true 0-day protection.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Run your tweaked browser into the sandbox and don't download and install every software that you are not sure they are safe(an expert told me the less software you have installed, the more secure you are)
update your software and windows and also use this little tool Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator
Prevention IS better than the detection :)

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well it may seem like a joke, but in the times we run, the best thing for a 0 days, is to do backup, that does not fail.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's difficult to say what is the best, these might be useful:
Comodo's HIPS or Auto-Containment
quihoo 360 HIPS
Kaspersky System Watcher and Application Control
Avast BB (IDK how it's good)
Some staff of Bitdefender, must be pretty robust

Antiexploit: EMET or MBAE (standalone or as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware component)

Antiexec: SRP, AppLocker, VS, ERP, AppSamvid

Their combos can be pretty robust like Comodo FW + MBAE, or VS + MBAE
Why no HMPA? It's much much better than MBAE, VS and EMET in its exploit protection.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There are many good 'true 0-day' protections (Sandboxing, HIPS, Whitelisting, SRP, Anti-exe), but they are not easy for the average user. Advanced security programs like: Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Emsisoft, Eset, Comodo, can use the above solutions, but that depends on the chosen settings.
The simplest, very strong, and well balanced on usability/security, is Windows SmartScreen Application Reputation (Windows 8+) + frequent system/software updates. SmartScreen does not cover scripts (except: *.bat, *.cmd, *.jse, and *.vbe), so home users should block script execution (Windows Script Host, PowerShell, and others). SmartScreen can check only files downloaded from the Internet, but there are solutions that can bypass this limitation.
Also, using Standard User Account can highly reduce 'true 0-day' infections.
I think that Avast in hardened (aggressive) mode (+blocked scripts) is also a good solution.
HitmanPro Alert and Zemana Anti-Keylogger are directed to fight only very specific 0-day malware files.
Malwarebytes 3.0 (free), is good against new malware/adware samples, but it is not a true 0-day protection.
I rather use solutions that make decision for me. Whitelisting and anti-exe require user's input decision which can be a weakness in malware infection

Reactions: Andy Ful

Evandro

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 20, 2014
Run your tweaked browser into the sandbox and don't download and install every software that you are not sure they are safe(an expert told me the less software you have installed, the more secure you are)
update your software and windows and also use this little tool Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator
Prevention IS better than the detection :)
Do Not install Hard_Configurator! Because it has a Vírus!!!

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I know that also Yandex detected it when I wanted to download it! but it's a false positive!he is doing this for free it's safe!!when you scan the FARBAR RECOVERY SCAN TOOL or some others tools via virus total you will see they have detection rate! but it means they are dangerous?!nop

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hard_Configurator (older version) was once flagged as a virus by Windows Defender. And, this fact was noticed and explained on Hard_Configurator thread:
Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator
So, from that time, every new version is submitted first to Microsoft before publishing.
The Yandex and Norton Safe Web flagged the Hard_Configurator GitHub webpage as not safe, because of the above Microsoft false positive.

Edit.
It seems that Yandex does not flagged Hard_Configurator webpage as unsafe, but only program installers (riskware.HideExec!). This false positive is not related to Hard_Configurator executables, but to NirSoft utility: nircmd.exe . It is included in Hard_Configurator installer as an external utility.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
SmartScreen can check only files downloaded from the Internet, but there are solutions that can bypass this limitation.
hi, could you please tell me how to bypass this limitation? I know there is a way that I can use your tool to do "Run as smartscreen" using right-click context menu, if I'm not mistaken
is there any other way to enforce SS lookup for multiple files or without having to right click and manually scan every single file?
thank you

I would like to add that SS doesn't scan files downloaded from download accelerators, too (IDM, eagleget). Also zip/rar files downloaded but the extracted files won't be scanned

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
hi, could you please tell me how to bypass this limitation? I know there is a way that I can use your tool to do "Run as smartscreen" using right-click context menu, if I'm not mistaken
is there any other way to enforce SS lookup for multiple files or without having to right click and manually scan every single file?
thank you

I would like to add that SS doesn't scan files downloaded from download accelerators, too (IDM, eagleget). Also zip/rar files downloaded but the extracted files won't be scanned

There are many ways which cause SS to ignore executables:
A) You have got the executable file (supported by SmartScreen : BAT, CMD, COM, CPL, DLL, EXE, JSE, MSI, OCX, PIF, SCR and VBE) using:
  • the downloader or torrent application (EagleGet, utorrent etc.);
  • container format file (zip, 7z, arj, rar, etc.);
  • CD/DVD/Blue-ray disc;
  • CD/DVD/Blue-ray disc image (iso, bin, etc.);
  • non NTFS USB storage device (FAT32 pendrive, FAT32 usb disk);
  • Memory Card;
B) You have run the executable file with runas.exe (Microsoft), AdvancedRun (Nirsoft), RunAsSystem.exe (AprelTech.com), etc.

I do not know a software, that could use SS to check all supported files in the folder. I could recode RunAs SmartScreen or RunBySmartScreen to do this, but I do not want to get nervous Microsoft guys. Such option could highly increase the traffic to Microsoft servers.
I used Windows Defender + RunBySmartScreen to check malware samples. Usually most samples are removed from the folder by Windows Defender. Only a few samples are left to be checked by SmartScreen.
In the new Hard_Configurator beta version, one can use a special profile (TestingSmartscreen.hdc) to check files with SS, without executing the samples.

The simplest way to force SS check of all supported files, is uploading them to OneDrive (but not compressed). When, one will download them to the hard disk again, SmartScreen will treat them as downloaded from the Internet.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
yes, I know this is in theory but in fact, when I tried to download something .exe and other extensions using eagleget, I also changed the user agent, default and chrome/firefox, but after the downloads finished, files didn't have "Unblock" button => wouldn't be scanned by smartscreen
I may try with another download manager then

EDIT: free download manager also didn't show unblock for downloaded files

Last edited:

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
From the ones you listed,

I vote for Hitmanpro Alert.

Then, Zemana.

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
In my opinion is the ability of the software to alert the user and block in multiple layers. (Antívirus + Hips/UAC + SmartScreen + Firewall)
A free Avast example in the maximum settings:
1-When downloading a file, it alerts you that it is an old or very new file
2-Download so even when you clicking 2x the hardened mode that will block
3-still insist on opening the file, will enter the cybercapture that still verifies if file is reliable because when passing as reliable may end up infecting or not, nowadays many viruses/pups have been passed by "reliable"

Finally, there are many configurations with combos like VoodooShield + Avast + cf.... this really depends on your paranoia against viruses... The is antivirus own user's, use good sense in navigation. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Behold Eck

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Comodo firewall (tweeked) or Voodoo Shield but there`s lots of other good suggestions mentioned here as well.

Or just wait 24 hrs before trying to infect your system then no more zero day problems.:D

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: Solarlynx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.