Votes: 36 55.4%

• Total voters

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I am currently using Eset smart security with Malwarebytes v3 and found it to be a great combo.
Make sure to switch HIPS to either Smart or Interactive in ESET otherwise you've got no zero-day defence at all.

Edit: If you're planning on using Interactive I'd suggest setting HIPS to Learning mode for two weeks so rules can be created automatically as you go about your day-to-day.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
170419131801_1_900x600.jpg

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
If someone is using Eset from my experience they should set HIPS to Interactive or Poilcy based Mode to increase the level of security.
How this Policy-based mode ( from Eset help: Operations are blocked.)work?just create a list of what you want to block?like some extension? or some process? like whs?
or this policy block what he wants and you can't create a list for it?

Reactions: tonibalas and AtlBo

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Make sure to switch HIPS to either Smart or Interactive in ESET otherwise you've got no zero-day defence at all.

Last time I checked, if you set ESET's HIPS to interactive mode without running learning mode at all before, it will generate alerts faster then you can click yes with your mouse. Essentially making Windows unusable, literally, not metaphorically. And if you are on Windows 10 you won't be able to boot into safe mode as easily as with Windows 7, because you'd have to initiate it from a system you just crippled with your HIPS.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Last time I checked, if you set ESET's HIPS to interactive mode without running learning mode at all before, it will generate alerts faster then you can click yes with your mouse. Essentially making Windows unusable, literally, not metaphorically. And if you are on Windows 10 you won't be able to boot into safe mode as easily as with Windows 7, because you'd have to initiate it from a system you just crippled with your HIPS.
Completely blanked on learning mode even though I used it to create rules. Sign of getting older. :oops: I'll edit my previous post.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@public enemy after setting HIPS to learning mode for a week i switched to Interactive mode.
I used Policy based mode just for a little while and i can't tell you exactly how it works.
But from what i remember is basically a lock down mode. Nothing will run unless you added it to Policy Mode.
@Soulweave used to run Eset HIPS set to Policy Mode and he can tell you much more about it.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.