Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
After installation, open the app and sign in. Enable push notifications in Preferences if you want alerts. On iPhone and iPad, push requires a Home Screen web app and iOS or iPadOS 16.4 or later.
Sign in to manage notificationsInstallation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
I used to use Grammarly, but the icon that sits on the page at times in a forum box when posting, would get in the way, and I could never figure out how to move it. There was a tipping point where I quit using it. Maybe it also had to do with their privacy policy of what you're typing being sent to them? Can't remember for certain.Hello! I'd recommend "Grammarly for Chrome". It's straightforward and efficient for spell checking and punctuation errors. You can disable the grammar correction feature in the settings.
That's what I'm using, too.I think these spell checkers are massive privacy risk so I just use the one that comes with the browser. Even though if it's terrible like the one in Firefox.
Indeed.I think these spell checkers are massive privacy risk so I just use the one that comes with the browser. Even though if it's terrible like the one in Firefox.
Same here.That's what I'm using, too.
I think these spell checkers are massive privacy risk so I just use the one that comes with the browser.
So is it better to use a 3rd party spell checker, or do 3rd party apps have that ability as well?Also do not forget to enable Smart features in Google, so it can read your emails, messages and etc, for your own good of course. It can even remove disinformation on your behalf.![]()
Google, Microsoft can get your passwords via web browser's spellcheck
Enhanced Spellcheck features in Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge web browsers transmit form data, including personally identifiable information (PII) and in some cases, passwords, to Google and Microsoft respectively.www.bleepingcomputer.com
Learn about smart features & controls for Google Workspace & other Google products - Computer - Gmail Help
To give you more granular control over your data, we’ve updated our smart feature settings fosupport.google.com
I would pick something with a local dictionary rather than AI/web based. Edge default translator supposedly uses local only, but leaks and misconfigurations happen, I locked it by policy.So is it better to use a 3rd party spell checker, or do 3rd party apps have that ability as well?
If you select Basic instead of Microsoft Editor, Microsoft Edge will perform only local spellchecking on the device, and no data will be sent to the cloud for spellchecking services.

nleditor.osi.office.net
turing-writingassistance.edge.microsoft.com
Yeah. That's my philosophy I stick to. The less software PC/apps phone/extensions browser has installed, the better. That alone significantly decreases number of possibly undiscovered vulnerabilities on the device. It also helps with keeping your devices in best shape and retaining the speed.Indeed.
Same here.
@Brie I advise against using an extension for functions that the browser already provides. Extension should be trustworthy and kept to a minimum because they increase browser attack surface and vulnerability.
This is kind of expected because it checks every single word you enter inside the browser, no matter if it's password or something else. I mean, they could stop spell check for passwords (because who the hell spell checks passwords), but that would ruin all the fun for them and would defeat the purpose of cloud spell checker.Also do not forget to enable Smart features in Google, so it can read your emails, messages and etc, for your own good of course. It can even remove disinformation on your behalf.![]()
Google, Microsoft can get your passwords via web browser's spellcheck
Enhanced Spellcheck features in Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge web browsers transmit form data, including personally identifiable information (PII) and in some cases, passwords, to Google and Microsoft respectively.www.bleepingcomputer.com
Learn about smart features & controls for Google Workspace & other Google products - Computer - Gmail Help
To give you more granular control over your data, we’ve updated our smart feature settings fosupport.google.com
I wish there was an app that would do system-wide spell check and locally on the device. I'd totally use that.I would pick something with a local dictionary rather than AI/web based. Edge default translator supposedly uses local only, but leaks and misconfigurations happen, I locked it by policy.
![]()
User data and privacy in Microsoft Edge
Privacy aspects of features of Microsoft Edge, including how your data is shared with Microsoft and how to change settings for this data sharing.learn.microsoft.com
View attachment 287871
It can be also blocked/secured by DNS, if paranoid enough.
Code:nleditor.osi.office.net turing-writingassistance.edge.microsoft.com
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes