Question what is the best and easiest spell checker for chrome browser?

Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.
Hello! I'd recommend "Grammarly for Chrome". It's straightforward and efficient for spell checking and punctuation errors. You can disable the grammar correction feature in the settings.
 
Hello! I'd recommend "Grammarly for Chrome". It's straightforward and efficient for spell checking and punctuation errors. You can disable the grammar correction feature in the settings.
I used to use Grammarly, but the icon that sits on the page at times in a forum box when posting, would get in the way, and I could never figure out how to move it. There was a tipping point where I quit using it. Maybe it also had to do with their privacy policy of what you're typing being sent to them? Can't remember for certain.
 
I think these spell checkers are massive privacy risk so I just use the one that comes with the browser. Even though if it's terrible like the one in Firefox.
Indeed.
That's what I'm using, too.
Same here.

@Brie I advise against using an extension for functions that the browser already provides. Extension should be trustworthy and kept to a minimum because they increase browser attack surface and vulnerability.
 
I think these spell checkers are massive privacy risk so I just use the one that comes with the browser.
Also do not forget to enable Smart features in Google, so it can read your emails, messages and etc, for your own good of course. It can even remove disinformation on your behalf. :)
 
Also do not forget to enable Smart features in Google, so it can read your emails, messages and etc, for your own good of course. It can even remove disinformation on your behalf. :)
So is it better to use a 3rd party spell checker, or do 3rd party apps have that ability as well?
TIA :)
 
So is it better to use a 3rd party spell checker, or do 3rd party apps have that ability as well?
I would pick something with a local dictionary rather than AI/web based. Edge default translator supposedly uses local only, but leaks and misconfigurations happen, I locked it by policy.
If you select Basic instead of Microsoft Editor, Microsoft Edge will perform only local spellchecking on the device, and no data will be sent to the cloud for spellchecking services.

capture_03282025_124858.jpg

It can be also blocked/secured by DNS, if paranoid enough. 🤫
Code:
nleditor.osi.office.net
turing-writingassistance.edge.microsoft.com
 
Indeed.

Same here.

@Brie I advise against using an extension for functions that the browser already provides. Extension should be trustworthy and kept to a minimum because they increase browser attack surface and vulnerability.
Yeah. That's my philosophy I stick to. The less software PC/apps phone/extensions browser has installed, the better. That alone significantly decreases number of possibly undiscovered vulnerabilities on the device. It also helps with keeping your devices in best shape and retaining the speed.
Also do not forget to enable Smart features in Google, so it can read your emails, messages and etc, for your own good of course. It can even remove disinformation on your behalf. :)
This is kind of expected because it checks every single word you enter inside the browser, no matter if it's password or something else. I mean, they could stop spell check for passwords (because who the hell spell checks passwords), but that would ruin all the fun for them and would defeat the purpose of cloud spell checker.

It's worth to note that standard spell checker doesn't send any information to Google. The only sent request is to download the dictionary on your device and it happens when you add a language in the settings of the browser. Same is with Google's standard Safe Browsing; it downloads file containing malicious URLs and checks everything locally. Enhanced Safe Browsing checks URLs in real time with their servers and sends URLs to Google.

General rule is... if you value your privacy at least a bit, you'll turn off everything Google, Microsoft & co. offer you.
I would pick something with a local dictionary rather than AI/web based. Edge default translator supposedly uses local only, but leaks and misconfigurations happen, I locked it by policy.


View attachment 287871

It can be also blocked/secured by DNS, if paranoid enough. 🤫
Code:
nleditor.osi.office.net
turing-writingassistance.edge.microsoft.com
I wish there was an app that would do system-wide spell check and locally on the device. I'd totally use that.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top