Advice Request What is the idle memory usage of your system after boot-up?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Just curious, what is the memory usage on your desktop ideally 2-3 minutes after boot-up when idle, and not running any additional tasks, other than the boot-up ones.

I have Kaspersky, OSArmor, SETrayMenu & Simplewall in the background to run on startup and it comes to 21-22% of RAM usage. This is probably the minimum RAM usage on my system.

Do post screenshots :)

6nFmCYt.png

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
1,5-1,8GB is just the regular memory usage I think. Probably more if you enable a lot of autostart.
After a system restore I could achieve 1,6 gb of memory usage. which is 19-20%.
If I have a choice I would keep most of my apps in memory, so that I don't have to wait for it. I think you don't have to worry about memory usage these days. Gone are the days when you had just 512 Mb memory to play with. (My first computer in 2000, an amd K6 550 which if I remember correctly had 128 Mb of ram)

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
If I have a choice I would keep most of my apps in memory, so that I don't have to wait for it.
I agree. And that's the point where a program like PrimoCache comes in. It keeps my system in all conditions blazing fast and saves about 25% till 60% write cycles to the SSD. Averagely there is only 4 GB free of the16 GB memory.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Maybe a new thread would be nice which include also all running process in background (non-windows ones).

Of course even then their are difference, e.g. i use application guard / hyper-v which use memory even in background but i guess the adding information would be a better reference then only percentage

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Man, F-secure is light.

Maybe a new thread would be nice which include also all running process in background (non-windows ones).

Of course even then their are difference, e.g. i use application guard / hyper-v which use memory even in background but i guess the adding information would be a better reference then only percentage
Looks like a good idea.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.