What is the most secure mainstream browser ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Doesn't matter what the article says. Just check your Chrome, Chromium and Chromium-based browsers whether they phone home to Google on start up of the browsers. If they do then there's no more privacy despite all those settings
Right & Wrong, you have a build of chromium that remove all the google involvement , however don't expect some features you had in the classic build (sync, etc...)

The question now is who you want to handover your privacy to. Will it he Google, Mozilla, MS, Yahoo or Amazon?

So just use a fake account with fake name, you won't worry about privacy. and i don't see MS or anyone else trying to trace back your IP then ask to your provider who is he person related to this IP ; only gov agencies would do it and mostly because you may be a person of interest (politician, terrorist, activist, etc...)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Right & Wrong, you have a build of chromium that remove all the google involvement , however don't expect some features you had in the classic build (sync, etc...)

So just use a fake account with fake name, you won't worry about privacy. and i don't see MS or anyone else trying to trace back your IP then ask to your provider who is he person related to this IP ; only gov agencies would do it and mostly because you may be a person of interest (politician, terrorist, activist, etc...)

If you are referring to ungoogled Chromium this software is dead without progress as far as I know otherwise I'll be using it now. However, I'm now using non-Googled Brave browser but it connects to Amazon.

Using a fake name is one thing. Phoning home by MS services is another. Once any MS(or other big evils) service phones home your IP is exposed. Only they can tell what they'll do to your IP address and other data they collect from you

Last edited:
Reactions: ravi prakash saini

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
With no changes made to the browser, Chrome is the most secure.
With changes, Firefox with NoScript is the most secure.
Add a little concern for one's privacy and Firefox wins by far.

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

If you are referring to ungoogled Chromium this software is dead without progress as far as I know otherwise I'll be using it now. However, I'm now using non-Googled Brave browser but it connects to Amazon.
Download latest stable Chromium binaries (64-bit and 32-bit)

check the no sync (etc...) version

Using a fake name is one thing. Phoning home by MS services is another. Once any MS(or other big evils) service phones home your IP is exposed. Only they can tell what they'll do to your IP address and other data they collect from you
phoning home is one thing , knowing who you are from it is another.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
But it is better than chrome in catching phishing and malicious links! It take much less ram than Chrome! And It is smaller in size also!

The browser is probably a few versions behind Chrome which is bad if you want the latest security updates. You can use the DNS to block malicious websites (assuming it has the ability to do so) and use a up-to-date variant of Chromium.

Chrome actually has a smaller setup file size than that of Comodo (65.7MB Comodo and 47.7MB for Chrome). Chromodo Dragon (after downloading through the setup) is 179MB and Google Chrome is 154MB.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
the only browser so far that i have seen that actually modified something of Chrome/Chromium is Yandex.
but as everyone said, you can make any Chromium based browser secure with the right extensions.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
What I don't like about Chrome is that there seems to be limited ways of ensuring that all your cookies and browsing data get wiped at the end of each session. Firefox and Opera seem to allow this. As soon as I log into my gmail account, Chrome knows who I am and starts tracking me.

I'm not worried about being tracked by the government as i have nothing to hide. Its the corporations and criminals that I'm more worried about. I don't want my all my browsing data out there in a server somewhere and I dont want to be continually traced online. Chrome is more or less built for that purpose isn't it ?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I don't see anything bad in Chrome's privacy and most of things can be turned off in settings. So what if Google collects a little bit of data when using Chrome? Windows 10 collects all kind of data and people are still using it.

Chrome Browser - Privacy Policy

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What I don't like about Chrome is that there seems to be limited ways of ensuring that all your cookies and browsing data get wiped at the end of each session. Firefox and Opera seem to allow this. As soon as I log into my gmail account, Chrome knows who I am and starts tracking me.

I'm not worried about being tracked by the government as i have nothing to hide. Its the corporations and criminals that I'm more worried about. I don't want my all my browsing data out there in a server somewhere and I dont want to be continually traced online. Chrome is more or less built for that purpose isn't it ?
You are right! So you can either use Mozilla-based browsers in which case you are being tracked by Mozilla. Alternatively, you can use non-Google browser like Brave in which case you'll be tracked by Amazon. If not then use IE/Edge and you get tracked by MS.

So, who do you want to handover your privacy info to?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't see anything bad in Chrome's privacy and most of things can be turned off in settings. So what if Google collects a little bit of data when using Chrome? Windows 10 collects all kind of data and people are still using it.

Chrome Browser - Privacy Policy
Oh yeh? You use gmail, Google DNS, Google Drive, Google maps, Google cloud, YouTube, Chromebook, Android smartphone with Google features and many more as listed below? All these tracking add together is a lot, ok?

Remember one thing. Google provides interconnected services.

The whole list of Google services is here

Category:Google services - Wikipedia

Tell me how many you DON'T use?

Reactions: mekelek

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I have to vote for chrome , you can even make safer with the appi / applock and sandbox tweaks via chrome flags. the devellopment team is constantely busy , making the browser more safe and less prone to exploits. when a security hole / flaw is found they take the appropreate action to fix this asap :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Oh yeh? You use gmail, Google DNS, Google Drive, Google maps, Google cloud, YouTube, Chromebook, Android smartphone with Google features and many more as listed below? All these tracking add together is a lot, ok?

Remember one thing. Google provides interconnected services.

The whole list of Google services is here

Category:Google services - Wikipedia

Tell me how many you DON'T use?
What do other Google services have to do with Chrome's privacy?

TBH I use only 6 services; Android, Search, Maps, Drive, Translate and YouTube (without YouTube account).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.