Troubleshoot What is the severity of Smart Mac Booster (and other PUPs)?

Infected operating system
macOS High Sierra
Infected device issues
N/A

chromodynamics

Thread author
Jul 16, 2019
Hello,

A relative of mine installed Smart Mac Booster onto their computer the other day. I had to deal with it via screen share and this was what I managed to do:

1. Removed SMB from Applications (couldn't find any other suspicious apps)
2. Removed anything suspicious in Launch Agents folders, Launch Daemons folders, Safari Extensions folders
3. Removed any suspicious start up apps in System Preferences for all users
3. Removed anything suspicious in Application Support folders
4. Told them to restart computer (thought this would kill any suspicious processes and not be restarted since Launch Agents/Daemons were deleted)

Is this good for now? I don't have physical access to the computer so I don't want to do anything that may be potentially time intensive like installing anti-virus software. Also with this PUP malware, is there anything to worry about in terms of security? Are they known to steal information or is it just a scam to get users to buy useless software?

Thanks!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.