Advice Request What is your absolute favorite VPN-Service?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

FireHammer

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
@FireHammer Having two different VPNs installed, doesn't conflict with each other?
I ask this because I read:
" I always use a fresh install, so some other company's VPN leftovers aren't clogging up the system and possibly influencing results."
Hi @amirr, I am no VPN expert, but I have 5 VPNs installed on the same Windows & Android for that matter, and I have not experienced any problems.
None what so ever. (y) ;)

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
My favourite is BulletVPN

Pros
  • I consistently get very good speeds and they have seven servers in my country (Australia) which is more than a lot VPNs have.
  • CPU from their client, always remains at 0% when accessing the internet. With many VPNs there is a small amount of CPU use when accessing the internet.
  • It seems that they are trustworthy.
  • Their customer support is excellent.

Cons
  • Their Windows VPN client has limited features. For example you can't configure it to launch at Windows startup. But it does have a kill switch.
I bought a lifetime license from StackSocial for $39.

I was previously using Windscribe. I also consistently got very good speeds with them and no CPU use from their client. I ditched them due to poor customer support. If not for the disappointing support, I would still be using it.

With regards to CPU use, my previous laptop had bad thermal management, which meant that even the constant low CPU use from VPNs, was enough to cause very audible fan noise. If not for that, the CPU use from other VPNs wouldn't have been an issue really.

@FireHammer I used VyprVPN briefly at the start of the year, but in my case, I constantly had anywhere from around 10 to 20 CPU use from their service. Their customer support said I could expect up to 95% CPU use on a 2nd gen i5 processor.
What it with this scam? Almost identical page as ExpressVPN

Reactions: Cortex

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Using SurfShark Double-Hop VPN now for Windows desktop. In effect, I'm running 3 hops including the VPN in my router. Speed seems not affected.

Too bad its WireGuard not working. Feedback via Chat to them, and they said it seems to have some problems today. Will give another try tomorrow. However, its WireGuard on android is working and fast

1610725417166.png

Last edited:

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I use Windscribe and F-Secure Freedome.

Freedome has very few features but seems to work very well. Being a F-Secure product, I know their apps are likely to be programmed by experienced developers. I also know who they are and where they are based, so I can probably trust them more than other VPNs to do what they promise with my data. They have a brand-name and repuation to protect.

Windscribe has more features and is very good for a mid-tier VPN. They don't always unlock geo-restricted content like BBC iPlayer but have got a little better at this than they used to be. Their helpdesk people can be a bit rude at times, but you generally get an answer. They are also run by identifiable people with a proper address.

I also dabbled with SurfShark. Lots of features, although I was getting 'Captchas' all the time when using their UK servers. I wasn't particularly impressed with their speeds either, although I think that depends where you are connnecting from (in my case the UK). My biggest problem with them is that I don't know who they are or where they are really based (it says the British Virgin islands but this is only where the business is registered). I asked them directly and although they replied they didn't want to disclose that information to me. Thats fine, except if they are faceless how can I trust them with my data ? For all I know they may be run by a government agency.

In my view, too many people believe the promises shown on the webistes of VPN services. But unless you know who they are, can you really trust them ?

FireHammer

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
What's your feeling about it so far please?
I think it has the potential for greatness, mainly because it can work together with Adguard(system-wide)none of my other VPN`s can do that, if I wish to use NordVPN(my favorite) I have to turn off Adguard to do so, very annoying.
And the Extension as it is for the time being(windows) is not sluggish or anything, and as I understand it, it is still in Beta.
I have it in my Chrome Browser, I have not tried others, not all browsers is supported.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Its working for me... :unsure:
I just re-tested with WireGuard and it still cannot connect throwing up an error message

1610757577824.png

Also, when installing SurfShark VPN my KIS blocked a backdoor. See below. SurfShark VPN was downloaded directly from its homepage. Is that a backdoor for I excluded it in KIS?

I know you are using SurfShark VPN. Can you help to check whether that file is in the location indicated?

Thanks

1610758344422.png

Strange. When I went to the location I couldn't find the second Surfshark\prerequisites\SurfsharkTunWin10.exe

1610758761450.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.