Advice Request What is your absolute favorite VPN-Service?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Oh my bad, thought kaspersky moved it to quarantine. In my second Surfshark folder there is only the empty ProfileOptimization folder which you have too. No idea why it's not managed identically on both systems.
For me in the ProfileOptimization folder I have the following

1610764056276.png

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
For me in the ProfileOptimization folder I have the following
Okay it's getting late, my brain isn't working properly anymore. Thats what is in my 2nd Surfshark folder:
Unbenannt.PNG

The prerequisites folder however is completely empty. In the ProfileOptimization folder I also have my personal Surfshark profile. I also searched for that specific exe file that Kaspersky detected on your system, but I can't find it anywhere on my system. I doubt that it will fix it, but maybe log into your Surfshark account and install it from there. Thats how I did it...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm getting this error in Device Manager. Not sure whether it clashes with my VyprVPN for it also uses WireGuard

1610766699914.png

1610766645547.png

The second one down the list is by SurfShark and it shows ok

1610766792957.png

After removing VyprVPN, its registry entries and TAP driver the Device Manager looks good but Surfshark still cannot start with WireGuard

1610769716530.png

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So, did the ultimate. Uninstalled Surshark VPN, clean up all registry entries, remove TAP driver, re-download the software, re-boot the system, disable KIS and WiseVector StopX, re-install Surfshark VPN and now I can get its Wireguard connected

Actually, I caught a short glimpse of the SurfsharkTunWin10.exe file being executed during the installation process. I supposed KIS intercepted it and caused the Wireguard not to be connected

After the successful installation I re-enabled KIS and WiseVector StopX

1610773314684.png

I think the SurfsharkTunWin10.exe is to create the Surfshark Tunnel as shown in my Device Manager which wasn't there previously in my above post

1610773678133.png

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I just re-tested with WireGuard and it still cannot connect throwing up an error message

View attachment 252992

Also, when installing SurfShark VPN my KIS blocked a backdoor. See below. SurfShark VPN was downloaded directly from its homepage. Is that a backdoor for I excluded it in KIS?

I know you are using SurfShark VPN. Can you help to check whether that file is in the location indicated?

Thanks

View attachment 252994

Strange. When I went to the location I couldn't find the second Surfshark\prerequisites\SurfsharkTunWin10.exe

View attachment 252995

Already reported yesterday and confirmed as a FP :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.