Advice Request What is your absolute favorite VPN-Service?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Cloudflare WARP+. I don't have it. Only had the trial.

+Its speed is identical to my Internet
+Wireguard Rust implementation
+better peering than your own ISP
+IPs are not blacklisted yet or impossible to blacklist

-Can Cloudflare be trusted? You decide

All of these things (minus last two) translate to extremely low packet loss which translates into a perceived faster Internet speed. Plus they are planning to enable true post-quantum encryption soon.

I personally use Windscribe Pro because it's lifetime and it has DNS based blocking which comes in handy on Android.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Of the five VPN providers I've used, Freedome was the fastest and most trustworthy.
With that said, Windscribe has been the only provider that's consistently allowed access to the regional catalogues of the streaming services I use.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
My favourite is BulletVPN

Pros
  • I consistently get very good speeds and they have seven servers in my country (Australia) which is more than a lot VPNs have.
  • CPU from their client, always remains at 0% when accessing the internet. With many VPNs there is a small amount of CPU use when accessing the internet.
  • It seems that they are trustworthy.
  • Their customer support is excellent.

Cons
  • Their Windows VPN client has limited features. For example you can't configure it to launch at Windows startup. But it does have a kill switch.
I bought a lifetime license from StackSocial for $39.

I was previously using Windscribe. I also consistently got very good speeds with them and no CPU use from their client. I ditched them due to poor customer support. If not for the disappointing support, I would still be using it.

With regards to CPU use, my previous laptop had bad thermal management, which meant that even the constant low CPU use from VPNs, was enough to cause very audible fan noise. If not for that, the CPU use from other VPNs wouldn't have been an issue really.

@FireHammer I used VyprVPN briefly at the start of the year, but in my case, I constantly had anywhere from around 10 to 20 CPU use from their service. Their customer support said I could expect up to 95% CPU use on a 2nd gen i5 processor.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Torguard, PIA, Private VPN, Windscribe, Cyberghost, Tunnelbear, HMA, Hotspotshield VPNArea, Surfshark, IbVPN, NordVPN, PureVPN, listed in order of preference. My primary use of a VPN is for torrenting/P2P bypassing any ISP black lists, secondary is accessing region locked content.

FireHammer

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020

Pros
  • I consistently get very good speeds and they have seven servers in my country (Australia) which is more than a lot VPNs have.
  • CPU from their client, always remains at 0% when accessing the internet. With many VPNs there is a small amount of CPU use when accessing the internet.
  • It seems that they are trustworthy.
  • Their customer support is excellent.

Cons
  • Their Windows VPN client has limited features. For example you can't configure it to launch at Windows startup. But it does have a kill switch.
I bought a lifetime license from StackSocial for $39.

I was previously using Windscribe. I also consistently got very good speeds with them and no CPU use from their client. I ditched them due to poor customer support. If not for the disappointing support, I would still be using it.

With regards to CPU use, my previous laptop had bad thermal management, which meant that even the constant low CPU use from VPNs, was enough to cause very audible fan noise. If not for that, the CPU use from other VPNs wouldn't have been an issue really.

@FireHammer I used VyprVPN briefly at the start of the year, but in my case, I constantly had anywhere from around 10 to 20 CPU use from their service. Their customer support said I could expect up to 95% CPU use on a 2nd gen i5 processor.
Hi @roger_m, I did not know that.

Reactions: Cortex and Nevi

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Cloudflare WARP+. I don't have it. Only had the trial.

+Its speed is identical to my Internet
+Wireguard Rust implementation
+better peering than your own ISP
+IPs are not blacklisted yet or impossible to blacklist

-Can Cloudflare be trusted? You decide

All of these things (minus last two) translate to extremely low packet loss which translates into a perceived faster Internet speed. Plus they are planning to enable true post-quantum encryption soon.

I personally use Windscribe Pro because it's lifetime and it has DNS based blocking which comes in handy on Android.
Ignore this post. After doing more research WARP+ is questionable. It does what it says in that it is encrypting and re-routing your connection but it's not anonymizing you. It's collecting data about the websites you connect to and what device you are using.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've used IVPN for some time but just expired & use Windscribe on my TV for Flix occasionally but recently (last 15 days) I've just been using AdGuard VPN on my browser which for me solves all problems with a Windows VPN such as mail problems with Thunderbird (Gmail) & slowdowns using AdGuard & some AV's etc - I'm touch & go if I really need a VPN anyway & with AdGuard VPN it takes just a second to Whitelist a site, & happy to run some sites whitelisted - Perfect for me maybe not for others?

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017

I used VyprVPN briefly at the start of the year, but in my case, I constantly had anywhere from around 10 to 20 CPU use from their service. Their customer support said I could expect up to 95% CPU use on a 2nd gen i5 processor.

I bought a "lifetime" access licence to BulletVPN but it's not one of my favourites yet. As for Vyprvpn, good product let down by the client. I saw 20-30% CPU use and when I asked their support they had no answer and no fix. I gave up and requested a refund. ExpressVPN - much talked about and good in its own right. But over priced compared to what one can get elsewhere. Their prices are simply not justified. Asked for a refund in 2 weeks. ProtonVPN was trialled for a week, good service but I really don't care to spend nearly $100 for their service. My sweet spot for a VPN lies between $30-60 annually. No more.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.