Advice Request What Is Your Favorite Audio/Video Players?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

the best equalizer.
Video: MPC installed by K-Lite Mega Codec Pack
Please not another codec pack.
MPC already play any file by default

Looks like many people doesn't know, but codec packs are bad for your whole system. From slow performance to compromisation, everything is possible.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020

Looks like many people doesn't know, but codec packs are bad for your whole system. From slow performance to compromisation, everything is possible.
Yes that is correct MPC-HC does play the majority of video formats and there are other codec packs out there that are very bad.
I use the Mega codec pack because I also do extensive Video and Audio encoding.
Have been using this particular pack for years without any issues. Has no impact on my system performance at all.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
It depends on hardware usage (Keyboard or mouse) at the time. But what i generally use is

Audio: Windows Media Player, VLC
Video: MPC-HC (K-Lite Codec Mega), VLC

For keyboard controls, i use MPC-HC as it has the best keyboard shortcuts/keys IMO. I specially like the features to play the next file in the folder shortcut, so even if i didn't create a playlist i get to play all the files in a folder & left click on video to pause/play. Respectively i use WMP as it is compatible with my keyboard media keys.
For mouse controls, i use VLC as it has the best mouse controls IMO. I specially like the step-forward & step-backwards buttons in the toolbar.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016

True, but IMO codecs are invaluable to whoever really needs it.
EDIT: Plus i firmly believe that a dedicated piece of software does a better job than a general one. So if anyone needs a player with extra features using codecs is acceptable. In terms of security, nothing is perfect.

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Audio (flac files): Aimp 5
Audio/Video library and playback: MediaMonkey 4.X Gold (soon: MediaMonkey 5.X Gold)
Streaming: Deezer HiFi (losssless audio)

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.